Period Eight: The Heart of the Witch

"I know where to find a Fangblade!" I announce to my friends as I slam a poster Sydney sent me. 

For a quick recap, Sydney is an old friend as we were both orphans at Miss. Black's Orphan Home for Lost Children. Sydney got adopted a month after I left to study under Sensei Wu by a local family who runs a bakery. The Orphanage shut down quickly after Jackson and Kathrine had their daughter- Linda.

"Is that a trophy with a Fangblade on it?" Kai asks, examining the poster.

"Indeed it is," I grin. "You see, every ten years Woods Speedway does a special race in remembrance of Alex and Luna Lightwood-" I then gulp. "Aka the parents of Lauren Lightwood... Sensei's student before us."

Cole gives me a concerned look.

I sigh, "two days from now is the twentieth anniversary of the couple's death, hence, the special race. This... this race is different though. As it's also in memory of Lauren."

"Uh, why does this poster say you'll be returning home?" Jay asks.

"Woods Speedway is now own by Ellis Lightwood, the younger brother of Alex. He helped out a lot at the orphanage 'cause he couldn't get legal rights to adopting Lauren. Ellis became the cool uncle of the orphanage, and he expecting me to return back to Karl Township for the race. I wasn't planning on doing so, until I noticed the trophy. It has a Fangblade on it."

"Haha, awesome! I never been to an actual speedway before!" 

"Me either. However, I have heard races tend to be exciting," Zane smiles softly.

Kai yawns, "races make no sense to me, it's just a bunch of cars speeding around in a circle for about twenty laps or more, it's only exciting when there is a crash."

"Your hair makes no sense to me," I deadpan.

"Uncalled for!" Kai gaps as Cole snorts.

"Um, guys?" Nya steps in. "How exactly do you plan on getting that trophy? You can't just steal it, especially if the whole race is in honor of the dead. That'll just be plain disrespectful! And none of you should be allowed in a race."

"Emma, weren't you once an announcer there? Don't you know most of the racers?" Cole asks.

"I do know a majority of the racers, but then again, it's been almost three years. And I lost all contact with almost all of them, who is to say they'll be willing to help us?"

"Well, isn't that great. Now we have to compete instead of eating the crazy-good food and watching the race!" Jay groans.

"Maybe not," I look down. "I never driven before, I mean I have practiced. But I'm not the best option, I know a guy." I sigh. "We just have to see if he's there or not. Set course for Karl Township, it's best we get there a day early and we have a long flight ahead of us."

---

"Hello, brother." Lord Garmadon grins as he has his back turned to Wu. "What took you so long? You brought the katana from our youth. Funny, you never had the courage to cross the temple wall, yet now you have the courage to come here."

"Why have you come to this place of darkness?" Wu demands.

"A place as wicked as me? It was either this or the Battle Realm. Don't you see? Here I feel at home. Back in Ninjago, I was physically unable to hold all five Spinjitzu weapons. But here? Dark magic has made me stronger, and what was once impossible is now possible." Garmadon turns to face his brother.

"You came here only to possess the weapons of Spinjitzu?"

"Yes, brother, and I refuse to allow you or your petty ninja and Emma to stop me!"