TWENTY-TWO

•••

Naeva stared at her reflection in the small mirror in her hand. The bruises on her face were nearly faded and her cut had healed. She patted her messy hair down and adjusted her purple turtleneck shirt.

Her eyes scanned the empty room, landing on Allison's bed. She hadn't seen her in two weeks. Luke, Jennifer, all of them hadn't bothered her after that fateful day. She was relieved about that but she also slightly disappointed.

She knew she had promised not to meet up with Luke but she just wanted to know why he had seen her and didn't do anything about it. Was he also a traitor like Allison? The thought itself was disheartening and she didn't want to find out.

She let out a sigh and applied little face  powder so as to cover up the light purple in the corner of her mouth. She strolled out of the room, making sure to lock it before heading to class.

Physiology was boring. So was biology, chemistry and even English. Naeva had to force herself to understand what was being taught without dwelling in the unexplainable emptiness and depression she found herself constantly falling into.

It was lunch time when she felt like she had had enough. She dropped her head onto her desk and let out a long sigh. Life was just like how it was for her before. No friends, utter loneliness, and no Kace.

She so badly wanted to see him but she knew she had to keep her distance from now on. He didn't want her in his life and she just had to deal with that. She slowly lifted her head and rested it on top of her fist. She could see so many people sitting or standing in pairs or groups in front of the school canteen.

How could she be so lonely? Was she that terrible at making friends? Or did she have that resting b**ch face she heard Katie talk about once? That was probably it. Maybe she looked very mean and unapproachable to people and that was why she was lonely.

She really needed to make friends though. She couldn't imagine how she had survived for two years in college without friends. She had to be the problem since even Kace didn't like her.

" Hey, N."

Her head snapped towards a breathless Desmond. His dark hair fell over his forehead as he leaned over her table, resting his hands on the hard surface as he caught his breath.

" You're okay." He smiled faintly, raising his head to meet hers.

" I was looking everywhere for you and when I didn't see you outside I thought you were being bullied again." He sighed with obvious relief, sliding onto the seat beside her.

Naeva's lips curved slightly at his genuine concern. She lowered her fists and wrapped her arms around her body, pursing her lips as if deep in thought.

" Hey," She smiled softly.

Desmond returned it with his usual bright and contagious one, forcing hers to widen.

" Hey, are you okay? I got you some lunch." He said, digging through his bag and pulling out a turkey sandwich.

" Th-Thank you." She took it gratefully. She was running low on cash lately and she wasn't ready to ask her parents for money yet.

The hall fell silent as she munched on her sandwich while her friend watched her closely. She could sense he wanted to tell her something but was struggling with how to put it.

She wasn't sure whether she wanted to hear or not but his gaze had her feeling slightly uneasy.

" Kace has been asking of you. It's getting on my nerves really." He finally stated, nearly making her choke on her sandwich.

Her heart rate quickened at the mention of his name but she forced her anxiety down with a hard swallow.

" Oh." Was all she could say.

Desmond huffed irritatedly, a bored expression taking over his face. He watched the woman beside him with pursed lips, his gaze zeroing on her as she continued eating silently.

" He really wants to see you. You're the only one he hasn't seen at the hospital and he isn't happy about that." Desmond continued, watching her closely.

" W-When is he leaving the hospital?" She asked, ignoring how his words had butterflies swarming inside her.

Kace wanted to see her?

" In about two weeks. I'm heading to the hospital later, will you come with?" Desmond suggested.

Naeva exhaled deeply. Did she want to go? She was already trying to get used to not seeing him. Wouldn't it just be a waste of effort if she went to see him?

" Look, whatever it is that's making you not want to visit him just ignore it. Okay? Kace said some mean things to you and I know you probably don't want to see him because of that but please..." Desmond sighed.

" You have no idea how annoying it is seeing him indirectly beg. He doesn't do that. At all. So it's creeping me out. Just this once and I won't bother you ever again. " He promised.

Naeva giggled softly at his words. Even she couldn't imagine Kace begging.

" It's either you go with him, or I give him your number. Pick one." Desmond stated.

Naeva thought over his words. Maybe she should see him one last time. It didn't sound like a bad idea.

" I-I'll go with you."

                         """""""""""""""""""

Apologies for any mistakes. I was watching cocomelon with my lil sister 🙃

Follow _ Vote _ Comment