Chapter 42

I'm sorry this took me so long.
~~~

96 hours and 12 minutes later...

Nya looked into the mirror in the connecting bathroom to her and Vince's room. The swelling around her eyes and on her head had disappeared. She looked better than he did the day she was abducted. Her skin was glowing and her hair felt silky, all the blood was washed out and wavy tendrils fell to the side of her face. She was even dressed well, in matching plaid pajamas that seemed much more like her sister's taste than hers.
She was being well taken care of as she healed. The thought made her smile.

She glanced at the window and saw that it was getting dark out. She had just woken up like the dead rising. She was on a pile of fluffy blankets like clouds and her head perfectly angled by a pillow. It was warming how comfortable they tried to make her. She felt cared for. Normally she would feel like an inconvenience, a burden, but the feeling she allowed herself to feel for the first time was being cherished.

She washed her face and brushed her teeth before going downstairs in search. She didn't know what time it was or even what day it was and she didn't care to look. She was focused on one thing. "Vince." She calls.
When she got to the study the door was closed. It was never closed. She turned the handle and entered the room. It was empty. There was an anticipated smile on her face until that moment. There must be important work going on. It was then she felt it, a jolt to her insides. "Oh." Vince snakes his strong arms around her waist pressing her back onto his firm chest. "I love you." He whispers. She closes her eyes and relishes the feeling of his strength. It was home, it was right, it was her place in the world, the place she belonged. She finally found her place. "Vince." She breathes in his scent.

"A little birdy told me that you love me too... is that true?"

She giggled while turning in his arms and shining a dazzling smile his way and she received one back in return. "I think that might be an accurate statement."He leans down and kisses her forehead tenderly. "What do you think?"

"About what?"

He gestured in the direction of his desk making her turn in his arms and finally, she noticed that it was different. He replaced it with an even bigger one. A solid thick block of what looked to be mahogany. "It's nice... you didn't have to."

"Everything is going to change. I've already had design plans drawn up for the kitchen." He releases a breath and guides her back to face him. He takes both of her hands in both of his and brings them to his lips. In that second, his gaze shifted to her and into something much more serious. Almost disheartening.

"What?"

"You have no idea." He lowered her hands and placed his palms on her shoulders, gently rubbing them maybe to give her comfort or maybe himself. He takes a moment for a breath, looks around, and then back into her eyes. "I can never unsee what I saw. A piece of me died having seen you that way."
She touches his jaw in a comforting manner making him lean into her palm.
He tugs her close, hugging her waist, and snugs her against himself. "I will never let anyone hurt you ever again. Never again."

"Shhh... it's okay." She stretched her fingers around the back of his neck bringing him even closer.

"It's not okay. I should have been here. I shouldn't have left you here. I should have known. I should have been protecting you. You, are my priority."

"It's all over now and I'm here in your arms."

He closed his eyes for a moment and swallowed down any thoughts of contesting he still had. He nods at the acceptance of her words and presses his forehead to hers. "I love you."