~Chapter 48~

"How long do I have to stay in my room?" It's been a few days since Christmas, and Josie found herself confined mostly to her room

Yet again, her parents are ushering her back into her room.

A sigh of irritation escapes her father's lips. "Just until the rest of the group leaves."

Her eyebrows knit in confusion. "Group for what?" Then realization dawns. "You mean Dumbledore's group?"

A nod from her mother. "Exactly, dear. The Order is having a meeting here today, and since you're not a member..."

Josephine's understanding grows. "Will James and Sirius be part of the meeting?"

"Yes, Josephine. Enough questions now, go to your room," her father retorts, his tone becoming sharper. She flinches as his voice escalates.

Wordlessly, she climbs the stairs. Outside Sirius's room, he casts a sympathetic glance her way. Ignoring him, Josie closes her own door with a firm thud.

Her gaze drifts to the letter from Regulus that arrived on Christmas. He hasn't responded yet, likely due to his parents.

Scanning her room, Josie locates the book she and Regulus chose, eager to continue where she left off.

Curling up in her chair, she prepares to lose herself in the pages once more.

~~~

Yeah, reading doesn't exactly go as planned.

The arrival of the members is accompanied by an immediate onset of conversations.

The voices are so indistinct that their words elude her grasp.

Don't be nosy, don't be nosy-looks like we are going to be nosy.

With utmost caution, Josie turns the doorknob and eases it open, cringing as it emits a faint creak.

Stepping beyond her room, she stays close to the wall and assumes a crouched position, lowering herself nearer to the floor as she peers through the stair railing.

Thankfully, it appears that the entire assembly of the Order has gathered in the dining room.

Their voices carry to her ears. One is unmistakable – Dumbledore's.

"Moving on to a greater concern now," his voice, though slightly muffled, still manages to convey the message.

"Tom Riddle, or rather, the dark lord, now insists on being called Lord Voldemort."

Shock ripples through her, though she stifles any audible response. Tom Riddle, the boy she had researched, is the emerging dark lord.

And Dumbledore has compared her to him.

"His followers are escalating their attacks on Muggle families," Dumbledore sighs, and another voice interjects.

"We ought to infiltrate their gatherings, Dumbledore."

Silently as a whisper, Josie retreats to her room.

As soon as her door closes, she practically holds her breath, grappling with the revelation that the boy she has studied is now the malevolent force rising to power.

Perched on her bed, she listens to the muffled discourse persisting outside.

She had thought that Tom Riddle was a half-blood. But if he's killing muggle born and half-blood families maybe thats not true.

She hopes that the meeting will end soon. Not that she will go down there but it will be comforting to know that strangers were not in her house having a meeting about this dark lord.