-1-

Author's Note: This story will be dancing all over the place and having slightly altered events. For clarity's sake, I'll mention where we are in the timeline for each chapter. ALSO, during Sam and Cas's points of view, I'll use present tense, and for Dean's POV, I've used past tense. (There is a reason for this! Besides me just wanting to separate their sections more thoroughly.)

Semi-Trigger-Warning: Due to the nature of the fic, there is a bit of character death and violence, but it's also ...not really character death if you get what I mean. So TW if death/etc bothers you, but... I swear on my stack of DVDs there will be a darn happy ending!

Disclaimer: Cross posted on Ao3 as always. I'll also post this on Fanfiction.net when I get around to it. :P

On with the fic!

--------------------------------------------

[takes place somewhere in the first half of season four]

He'd only known Cas for a couple of months at this point, so Dean wasn't quite sure what was possessing him-well, nothing supernatural, anyway, as the anti-possession tattoo was still in one piece-but clearly, something else was in control of his impulses here.

Like stupidity, maybe. Or desperation? World was gonna end if they couldn't stop the seals breaking, anyway...

Whatever the reason, he had this feeling that he had to act. Something gave him this strange, ants-crawling-under-his-flesh urgency.

"Cas?" he blurted out as Castiel was about to leave, about to wing off to Heaven or where-the-fuck-ever-else.

A pause. Cas turned back questioningly, those eyebrows lowered in slow uncertainty. Dean's heart thought it was inside a seventh grader's and skipped a beat. "Yes?"

Dean opened and shut his mouth, struggling to breathe evenly. "Um. Could you-Do you ever thin-" He pressed his lips together, closed his eyes, and just dived in. "Could we ever, you know, I mean, umm, you and me-" Here his words failed. Here his nerves gave out again.

The silence was too much. Dean cracked one eye open again, too anxious to open both but needing to see.

Cas was looking at him warily, waiting for the rest of Dean's sentence, but already his expression had softened and an apology was scattered over his features. "I'm so sorry, Dean," he said quietly. "Angels and humans can't... be together. In that way. It isn't allowed."

He was gone in a fluttery sound of wings before Dean could ask if he felt the same.

Dean wasn't sure if he was glad about that missed part of the conversation or not.