Dawn

Things would've turned out for the better if I stayed with Cate for just a little while longer. But as I was supposed to leave for Sydney that afternoon, we had about mere minutes to clear the air between us. And in retrospect, I learned that some things could not and should not be rushed. 

"How long have you been sleeping with Chris?" I asked as I started packing my bags. 

"What?"

"I heard you guys when I was outside, sounded like a blast to be honest." 

Cate was taken aback by my question, but her shock soon turned into indignation. "What were you doing snooping around?"

"I didn't have to. You were so loud the whole street could hear you." I yelled back, "Or is it all a part of putting on a show for the Marvel box office? If yes, then I've never seen better Method acting. Brava." 

"It's more complicated than you think, Edith. It started as something truly professional, but then...it became more." she said.

"Is this your way of 'not bowing down to money'? How fucking brave." 

"You and I never agreed to be exclusive." 

"Then what are we?" 

The question stung both of us. Ironically, we never had the gumption to ask ourselves this when we had a professional relationship. Now that Cate had left the company, why did it become harder to navigate instead of easier? 

"I've been on set with you for 3 days now," I sat down next to my bag, "and you never bothered to introduce me to anyone, and we never hung out together in public. Except at night. You're always going to end up with a man, and I'm an idiot for figuring this out too late. You're only comfortable being with me in the shadows only if there's a man in the spotlight." 

"What?"

"That's why you resigned from STC. You were fucking terrified of us being found out. It was never about helping me keep my job."  

"Right, it's all about you," Cate raised her voice as well, "did you once bother to ask how I was?  You didn't, because you're way to young to understand what divorce does to someone. You've probably never been in a relationship long enough to have your heart broken. Do you know how hard it's been without you and Andrew around anymore?" 

"Not very, apparently," I screamed back, my face overflowing with tears now, "because you found someone way hotter than both of us. Now I have to go catch my train, goodbye, Cate." 

Then I slammed the door. 

-----

It was weird being back in her house again hundreds of miles away. The familiarity and peace haunted me to no end, so I found myself having my third shot with Harge yet again. 

"How did I get here?" I asked drunkenly, "three days ago, Cate was the only person I could trust in the whole wide world. Now there's no one." 

"Um," he said, "what about me?" 

"For the longest time just hearing your name would give me a panic attack. Just give my brain some time to adjust, please."  

"Ouch."

"Also, I never asked you - why were you so comfortable setting me up with Cate again when you...have a crush on her yourself?" 

Harge broke out chortling so loudly he drew several startled looks, "Me? A crush on Cate? Ha! You're funny, sister." 

"No way," I said incredulously, "you're...gay?"

"As gay as they come," he chirped, "doesn't change the fact that Cate is the kuh-ween tho." 

"How could I have missed it? Straight men can't possibly groom this well. Or love theater this damn much." 

"Bingo." 

"You know what I think, Harge?"

"What?"

"I'm sick of everything that's been happening at STC. And all of this weird history with Abby and Andrew. Maybe we should start a theater company together. A new beginning." 

"Wait, seriously?"

"Yes. I'll do the art, and you'll do the finance. Bam. We put the show and business, in show business." 

"I actually don't hate the idea." 

"You don't have to answer now. Just think about it, okay?" I downed my last drink and stood up, "I gotta get back, it's getting really late." 

"Wait," he asked, "if it's too awkward staying at Cate's, you're welcome to stay with me for a while."

I gave him a big hug, "That's exactly what I need right now, you're a lifesaver. I'll see you in an hour with my stuff, okay?" 

-----

Dawn was breaking when I approached Cate's house, and I noticed that the lights were on. As tipsy as I was, I remembered distinctly turning them off before I left. 

The door opened to the sight of Cate sitting alone on the couch in the living room and facing the door, her hands on her knees. It was apparent that she just got back, as she still had her windbreaker on. 

"Oh hi," I said, "you're back." 

"Hello," She replied. As I took a few steps closer, I noticed that her eyes were red and puffy, and her eyes were raw with emotion - she had been crying.

"I'm all packed. I'll be out of here today -" 

"Can we talk?" she asked curtly. 

"No, I think we said all that needs to be said." I went upstairs to get my luggage, "I tossed the sheets and bathrobe in the laundry, and put the key back under the mat just now. I'll be staying with Harge from now on." 

"That's it? You're just gonna walk out like that?" Cate said, her voice getting emotional.

"Yes, you've left me with no choice." 

"You've nothing else to say to me?" 

I paused for a moment, "I appreciate you letting me stay here, Cate." 

I opened the door and was ready to walk out, braving the morning air and terrifying uncertainty that awaited me. I put my luggage, which contained everything I owned on earth, on her doorstep, ready to be swallowed by the world. 

Then, as if by some force of destiny, I was halted in my tracks. Two slender arms wrapped around my waist from behind me, soft lips on my neck. 

"I'm sorry for everything, Edie."

Her perfume melded with the scent of petunias in her gardens in my nostrils, and her supple torso pressing into my back softened me. I took a deep breath, resisting the urge to let go of my luggage and just freefall backwards into her embrace. 

I turned my head sideways and in the dim aura of the street lamps, saw Cate's tear-streaked lashes, tinted by the rose-colored dawn, brushing my cheeks. "Can we please talk? I have to fly back soon...I have a shoot in six hours." She whispered.

"You took a three-hour flight all the way back to Sydney just to...talk with me?" 

"Yes, and to do this."

And what she did changed us forever. 

Years later, she would be asked in interviews about what she thought was the bravest thing that she'd done in all these years of celebrity. And she'd always shock everyone by referring back to this moment. 

When she grabbed my hand and led me out to the middle of her yard, where anyone could see us, hear us, or take a photo of us in the emerging daylight, and kissed me. With no walls, no curtains, and no disguise of the night to cover up who we were and who we were meant to be.