Chapter 14: Palace Guards

Start from the beginning

"I guess you do. I just didn't think it was something so silly." I kneeled down to pull the head of an endoskeleton I was working on from under my table.

"I know more about magic, and souls, despite you showing me some things I didn't know." The old man flipped to one of the pages in his book and took out a pen, a ball point pen. It was still odd to see it in a fantasy world.

"I get it, stop gloating." I began trying to assemble the gyroscope of the eye again, as I'd failed in my first attempt to assemble the components the old man ordered.

"It makes sense, if that is how one becomes enlightened, that it would also be a way for a sole to grab onto and fuse with something. An act of pure will." Gadra then write another note. "I will akin it to necromancy, of an even fouler sort than I am familiar. You aren't binding a soul with your will, but theirs. With this consent, and the damage inflicted on the soul, it fuses into the object more completely." He was speaking aloud what he was writing once again.

"I don't think you can compare me to those skeletons you showed me, we look nothing alike." I knew what I looked like, magically speaking, at this point. Gadra was right in saying I was unique, a soul holding itself in the physical world by being tightly bound into a physical object.

Normally, it would be near-impossible to spot the soul of a creature. The best you could get with this 'Magic Sense' skill was seeing their spirit, if they had a powerful one. The soul was well hidden, tugging on threads of magic from a distance and casting simple magical effects to control the body.

It was best this way, as it meant the soul was able to be in its own protected space.

However, it did mean the amount of power the soul truly held was not utilized. Not even a fraction of it was accessible by creatures of the normal type, as it would stay hidden in the soul.

Meanwhile, I could use as much as I wanted, so long as it wasn't so much that it would sacrifice my mind and my skills.

"It is more dangerous for the soul involved, that is why it is fouler. I am not comparing you to them any more than to say you are more powerful, but your strategy is more risky." Gadra still smiled. "Of course, a risk taken for that much power would be well worth it for military applications."

There the old man went again.

"I told you before, I'll give you everything you need. So long as I can leave when we are done here." I glared at the man, but kept it short as not to stoke a temper.

"I will hold myself to freeing you the moment we can present this. I will personally escort you where-ever you choose, and can even choose several safer places for you." The man began to shiver lightly. "It's just... Doing research that could reform my army corp... It leaves me excited after all these years."

Men like him and I were always obsessive, that much I knew. So it was best not to try and refute his illusion of grandeur. "Mhm..."

"What did you call them again? The one that tormented you?" Gadra particularly liked this subject, my victims.

"The one I shouldn't have killed, I try not to refer to them by name." It was best to forget the child's name, they were no longer human the last time I saw them. They were a monster that I wished to never see again.

"You said they shared your design? The same animatronic, as you called it." The old man had already taken back out the book more specifically about me.

"They were also the first generation of springlock animatronic, however they possessed one called Fred-bear, along side... Someone else." I didn't want to think about that child either, I knew I wouldn't see him again.