Fear and Jealousy

"What about me?"

"What were you like as a kid?" I asked and for the first time, her normally bright eyes faltered

"I was a bit of an outcast. My mother's side of the family all developed a certain talent but I just...never did. They kept saying that the later the talent showed itself the more amazing it was but mine just never showed up. So now, either I'm going to develop some amazing ability or I'll just remain a dud."

"Alicia, you could never be a dud." I said trying to cheer her up. It was evident however that my words were not going to do the trick. So, mustering every ounce of courage I had in me, I pulled her into a hug.

"You are not a dud, you are so much more than that. You're strong and brave and witty. If they couldn't see your true value then they don't deserve to have you." I whispered into her ear as I held her close.

"Kage, I appreciate the sentiment but you barely know me." I could tell she was only trying to build a wall to thwart me.

"I know you enough," My clawed hand found her chin and raised her head so that our eyes could meet. Ever so slowly I lifted my mask over my lips and began to close the small gap that remained between my lips and hers. Together our eyes closed when someone called out, our trance was broken, and my mask returned to its original position.

"So this is where you guys went." The annoying voice of the Puppeteer called up.

"Hey Puppeteer, come on up!" Alicia called to the vile weasel that stood below us. She had broken away from me in an instant to call to him. I on the other hand, was seething at the unwelcome distraction. The Puppeteer's golden threads wrapped around the branches and began pulling him up.

"Hey beautiful." He said winking at Alicia.

"What are you doing here?" 'Don't kill him, don't kill him.' I chanted in my head

"I just wanted to see where you two had gone," he replied, not once taking his eyes off Alicia.

"You know what Alice, if you like places like this, I'd be glad to show you my secret hideaway sometime." He purred

"Really? That would be cool I guess." She shrugged

"Her name is Alicia." I growled

"Yeah, but Alice is such a cute name, it suits a cute girl like her."

"Anyways, where is this hideaway of yours?" she asked

"If you hop on my back and hold on tight, I think I might be able to show you."

"In that case, no thanks." She said shyly

"Oh come on, it'll be fun!" The Puppeteer laughed before yanking her arms around him and taking off into the trees.

Alicia POV

The Puppeteer had yanked me into the sky with nothing but him to hold onto. I couldn't help the scream that ripped out of my throat.

"LET ME DOWN! PLEASE LET ME DOWN!" I yelled as tears began to stream down my face. My hands started growing sweaty from holding on and it wasn't long before I was hurtling to the ground.

"AHHHHH!" I screamed as I fell through the sky. Suddenly I felt a pair of warm arms wrap around me, breaking my free-fall.

"Don't worry Alicia, I've got you. It's okay, I've got you." Kage whispered into my ear as he held me into his chest. Once we landed I didn't let go of him.

"Are you okay?" he asked, his hand slowly stroking my hair.

"No." I said, holding onto him tighter. Burying my head into the crook of his neck, I let my tears fall freely. Kagekao didn't ask what was wrong, he simply held onto me, and for that I was grateful.

"Oh my God! Alicia, why would you let go like that? Are you okay?" The Puppeteer called to us as he approached us. Steeling my nerves, I wiped the last of my tears into Kagekao's scarf before plastering on a smile and pulling away.

"I'm fine." My smile was unwavering and every drop of any sort of joy was pulled out to maintain it and make it real.

"That's good, you really scared me you know, letting go like that." His voice was light and carefree with only a touch of madness.

"We should probably head back." I suggested before letting Kagekao lead the way out of the woods.

As we walked, the Puppeteer helped keep the mood from turning sour.

"You should have seen me as a kid! I was about as wild as they come." he bragged

"I'm sure, playing with puppets must have made you the real life of the party." I teased back

"For your information, they are marionettes and I was a brilliant with them."

"I had a grandmother who liked marionettes. She was a puppet-master." I smiled

"Those don't exist, they're just a myth"

"So are you." His eyes began to glow brighter as my teasing.

"You know, it's unwise to mock a serial killer." He said in an attempt to be both dangerous and seductive.

"Alright, so what was your old name, Puppeteer?" I asked trying to break the tension

"Peter, my name was Peter." He replied as the mansion came into view.

Kage bounded up the steps of the front porch and entered the house swiftly before slamming the door behind him, all before Peter and I got to the porch.

"What's his problem?" Ignoring him, I chased after Kage.

"Kage, what's wrong?" I asked when I finally caught up to him outside of his room but instead of answering, he simply entered and closed the door behind him. When I went to open the door however, I felt a hand on my shoulder.

"Alicia, just leave him." Slenderman said from behind me. "He's confused right now."

"But..."

"I know, just give him time. How about you look around the house for a while?" He assured me.

"Alright," I said, disheartened I followed Slender's advice.

At the base of the staircase I found two hallways that led further into the mansion and mindlessly wandered into one. Within the hall were masterfully carved doors on either side of me, the carvings on each door looked to be a way of telling what was on the other side. One set of double doors in particular seemed to call to me.

It was plainer than the rest but held certain majesty in the way it stood. Entering through them, I was speechless. All around me was the most beautiful library I had ever seen.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Alright, chapter 7 up. I'm not sure about the title though, I think it fits. Anyways, if you liked it please leave a comment or if you just have a comment, leave a comment. I make it a point to try and reply to all of them as soon as possible.

Cheers!