Into the Forest

Alicia's POV

I awoke to the sound of humming. Not opening my eyes, I heard the humming turn to singing:

"ねんねんころりよ おころりよ。

ぼうやはよい子だ ねんねしな。

ぼうやのお守りは どこへ行った。

あの山こえて 里へ行った。

里のみやげに 何もろうた。 " The song came to an end and I felt a cool hand press onto my head 'Kagekao?' I thought he wanted to kill me...but he was the only one I knew who could speak Japanese.

"Kage?" I muttered

"Yeah, I'm here." He said softly.

"How long was I out?" I asked.

"About a day. I'm so sorry Alicia, I'm sorry for everything." He continued

"I'm fine." I said nonchalantly

"He hurt you. You rejected that man and he hurt you for it." He said.

"It's nothing new, but I'm usually better at handling myself when it comes to most pushy guys." I shrugged, trying to sit up before a sharp pain entered my head.

"It might have something to do with the 102° fever that broke a while ago." Kage explained, as he gently pushed me back into the mattress.

"Fever, that explains a lot." I muttered

"You never said anything about it."

"There were things that needed to get done." I shrugged

"And you couldn't have waited until the next day to do them?" He said with a frown on the white side of his mask. I just shrugged in reply

"What happened to Spencer?" I asked

"He's gone. That pig won't be hurting you ever again. I promise, no one will." Kage spoke softly, as if he was promising himself rather than me. I didn't know exactly what had happened but the way he said 'gone' however, told me the general story. Spencer was dead, he would never come back, and he would never hurt me again.

"Thank you." I told him sincerely, the spark of madness that lived inside of me jumped for joy at the thought of that vile man's lifeless body dumped somewhere, or better yet torn limb from limb so that you couldn't differentiate his arm from his leg. Quickly I squashed my madness and threw it into the deepest recesses of my being.

"Do you want me to bring you some broth?" he offered.

"You cook?" I asked

"Of course I do! I'm twenty three years old, I think I competent enough to cook some kind of soup." He said sarcastically.

"Prove it wise guy" I dared

"Watch me" Kage said with a smirk and nearly skipped out of the room

I looked out my window and into the dark forest.

'Is it still night time?' I wondered in disbelief. Through the dark trees I could almost make out a white glow. I watched on and saw the glow come closer and as the distance between us shrank, I could hear a song grow louder. The voice itself wasn't bad but the song was sad and lonely. The glow found its way to my window, where it took the shape of a girl.

Her eyes were a vibrant green, her ears were tapered and bloody, and on her cheek was a broken pair of eighth notes. The girl wore a black tank top and dark jeans that made her blond hair and pale skin look even lighter. By now the song was deafening, my skin began to prick. From behind me there was a crash.