Chapter 16

"Goodmorning Sir!" She rose to her feet and saluted the Supervisor.

"You don't have to be so formal around me," the Supervisor chuckled. "You're going to be my assistant so we'll be working together for a while after all."

She nodded, "Yes Sir."

"But," he began. "Are you sure you're okay with just being an assistant? Even in your previous prison, you were assistant to the assistant warden, no? With your Uncle-"

"Yes Sir. I'll be fine with this," she softly cut him off.

"Okay then, I'll ask someone to show you around."

"Yes sir."

__________

His back was against her. The green of his hair was now a blur, as was his silhouette.

She felt her arm reaching out, feet moving forward, trying to grasp at his blurry stature which was fading quick from view.

"Sto-"

Take me with you.

And then she was in front of his cell again.

"Why didn't you become a pirate?" She heard him ask.

And this time, her lips gave an answer.

"I couldn't have," her voice was almost a whisper.

"My parents are travellers, so they were never home when I was a kid. They always entrusted me to my Uncle when they went on their trips and I hardly ever saw them.

My Uncle has brought me up even more than they have and I owe him so much. Being a marine, being what he has always hoped for me to be, that's the least I can do for him."

She looked up to meet his gaze and recoiled when she saw another face instead.

She heard the man with the graying hair speak to her as he smiled at her,

"Will you hate me too now, young girl?"

.
.
.

She woke up with a start.

Her eyes fell on the watch beside her bed.

3:00 AM

Running her hands through her hair, she muttered, "Not this again."

_________

"Are you getting by well?" The supervisor smiled at her. "It's already been 3 months that you've joined."

"Yes sir," she grinned. "The place is bigger than the one I was in before and it's more hectic, but I like it. I'm getting by well."

"That's good to hear. Please don't hesitate to ask me for anything if you're in trouble."

She nodded. "Will do."

She skipped her way down the corridor, humming a tune that closely resembled a pirate song she heard growing up, spinning her cap round her finger.

Yep, that's right. Things were good- the supervisor was a nice man, the facilities were good, she got to hear stories from some willing prisoners, the work was hectic so she didn't get so much time to spend in her mind thinking, and she even went out to the sea the other day!

"Some inmates from the other prison will be transferring here tomorrow." The Supervisor was hunched over his table. "Would you like to accompany the party going to pick them up?"

She nodded frantically though he couldn't see her.
"Yes please! I'd like that."

She felt the salty breeze sweep past her face as she leaned over the railing.

'Ahh.. this feels good. I could get used to this.'

She turned to the Captain in charge of the pick up.

"Hey, do you think we could take a detour and go over there??" She pointed to a small city in the distance.

He gave her a look that said "really?".

Her hand went to the back of her head and she gave a sheepish smile.

"Sorry, I'll shut up."

Her feet came to a stop.

"Yeah, things are good," she said to no one in particular.

Sighing, she put her cap back on her head.

"Who am I kidding."