Esmeralda - Character Background

History

History

Esmeralda was born Agnès Guybertaut in 1462. She was considered to be the love child of Paquette Guybertaut, nicknamed "la Chantefleurie", an orphaned minstrel's daughter who lived in Rheims. Paquette became a prostitute after being seduced by a young nobleman and lived a miserable life in poverty and loneliness. Agnes's birth made Paquette happy. She would lavish her with care and attention. Even the neighbors began to forgive Paquette for her past behaviors whenever they saw the pair. Tragedy struck, however, when Paquette, caught in the middle of one of Frollo's raids, fell to the ground and hit her head. A gypsy woman beside her witnessed her fall, and, upon discovering her dead, took her child and ran for safety.

Later that year, three gypsies sneak illegally into Paris but are ambushed by a squadron of soldiers working for Judge Claude Frollo, the Minister of Justice and de facto ruler of Paris. A gypsy woman attempts to flee with her baby, but Frollo chases after her, thinking the woman is carrying stolen goods. The woman manages to escape him and arrives at Notre Dame. As she is begging for sanctuary, Frollo catches up to her and kills her just outside by kicking her head against the stairs, he soon learns that the "stolen goods" was her son who is deformed. He spots a nearby well intending to kill her baby, but the Archdeacon appears and accuses him of murdering an innocent woman. Frollo denies that he is in the wrong, saying his conscience is clear. The Archdeacon declares he can lie to himself all he wants, but he cannot hide his crime from heaven ('the eyes of Notre Dame', the statues of the saints outside the cathedral). Fearing for his soul and to atone for his sin, Frollo reluctantly agrees to raise the deformed child in the Cathedral's bell tower as his son, naming him Quasimodo (Wiki, n.d.).

Twenty years later in 1482, Quasimodo has developed into a kind yet isolated young man with three gargoyles, Victor, Hugo, and Laverne, as his only company as well as the pigeons. Quasimodo is constantly told by Frollo that he is a monster who would be rejected by the uncaring outside world. Agnès - now named La Esmeralda, in reference to the paste emerald she wears around her neck - is living happily amongst the Gypsies in Paris. She serves as a public dancer. Her pet goat Djali also performs counting tricks with a tambourine, an act later used as courtroom evidence that Esmeralda is a witch.

Captain Phoebus who has been away at war has returned to Paris to serve as Frollo's new captain of the guards. During the first few days after his return, Phoebus manages to save Esmerelda who is accused of stealing money that she rightfully earned for dancing. Phoebus also manages to humiliate Brutish and Oafish Guards during this encounter, both of whom escort the new captain to the Palace of Justice after their confrontation. Phoebus meets with Frollo, who after hearing about his war record expects Phoebus to be the best as his last captain was a disappointment (he was being tortured) (Wiki, n.d.). Frollo explains that they are to stop the gypsies as he has been trying to get rid of them but they manage to stay strong, Frollo has heard of their safe haven called the Court of Miracles and shows Phoebus that he intends to destroy it like the bugs under a stone. Phoebus sees the Judge's point and afterward, the Judge invites Phoebus to the Festival of Fools (Wiki, n.d.).