𝚄𝚗𝚝𝚒𝚖𝚎𝚕𝚢 𝙲𝚘𝚗𝚏𝚎𝚜𝚜𝚒𝚘𝚗𝚜: 𝙿𝚊𝚛𝚝 𝙾𝚗𝚎 (𝙷𝚞𝚗𝚝𝚎𝚛)

Y/N POV

866 words

TW: mentions of slavery

 Sometimes nightmares pulled you from serene sleep and into cursed memories. You could feel the ghost of cold metal on your wrists. You could hear the clatter of chains. You could smell the reek of damp and mildewed walls of your former quarters. Every time you opened your eyes, and discovered it was a recollection. You was safe on the Marauder with Tech, Wrecker, Omega, and Hunter.

You rolled out of your cot and silently stepped into the cockpit. You fell into the worn seat and pulled your knees to your chest; You contently stared at the passing stars. Hyperspace was captivating, and with Tech's endless supply of random knowledge, you learned all about it.

It was so surreal. Weeks ago, You would have never fathomed sitting in a cockpit and soaring to a strange world. Those were just distant dreams that kept insanity from dragging you under. Your former life of enslaved labor was taxing and melancholy. You woke with the three suns and toiled under their unbearable pressure as your skin cracked and body ached. The moon's refuge was the only haven available. Dreams were rare but filled with glorious expeditions across the galaxy. You clung to each one like a lifeline.

You was still acclimating to the new situation with a group of wanted clones. You were admittedly shocked they allowed you to stay, but vital knowledge of herbal medicines and remedies kept you. Although You had no clue how long you would remain. The group didn't intend to take you in; You were hopping planets and getting away from that wretched dwelling.

"Y/n?" a sleepy voice asked.

You nearly leaped out of your skin. Your heartbeat skyrocketed as Your instincts kicked in. RUN! Your tortured rationality screamed. Your fists clenched, ready for a fight; your mind sharpened, prepared to outwit an opponent; your body tensed, anticipating conflict.

Hunter stood back, wearied and baffled. You exhaled with reassurance and sank into the chair.

"Hunter! You startled me," you mumbled. The adrenaline pulsed through your veins, and you worried he could hear your thundering heart. You placed your hands on your head, closed your eyes, and inhaled deeply; a trick a forgotten acquaintance introduced to me long ago. It was how you soothed anxiety.

Hunter's muddled mind cleared as his eyes widened with realization. "Y/n, I'm sorry," he softly articulated. You could hear his gentle footsteps as Hunter precariously strode forward and eased into the seat beside you.

You shook your head, "I'm still adapting," you could feel his cautious eyes studying you.

"I know, and I'm sorry for frightening you. I could hear you creeping around the ship and decided to see if you were alright. Perhaps it wasn't the best plan," Hunter confessed.

You lowered your arms but kept them close to your body. You stared straight ahead at the blurred blue-black. Your heartbeat quieted slightly, and the adrenaline slipped away.

You couldn't help scrutinizing Hunter from the corner of your eye. His signature bandana was gone, and his wild hair flowed freely. Dark circles fell under his droopy eyes, and you wondered how often he slept but didn't ask.

You never knew how to gauge or interact with him. You weren't a relaxed individual. You had barely spoken to any of The Bad Batch except for Omega. Her innocence was impelling. You wanted to protect it and protect her.

Concrete barricades shrouded your heart. It was the best way to protect yourself. After all, trust sold you to slavers. Trust shackled your life. Trust practically broke you.

You didn't want to be so guarded. You desired to be unburdened by worry and let others into your life. You loathed loneliness, but it was all you understood. How could you exist any other way?

"I don't know much about where you came from. I don't know if I could fully understand what you underwent, but you don't have to bear that burden alone. You can stay with us. Or talk to me if you want," Hunter proposed.

You didn't acknowledge his response. The notion was promising. You envisioned a path of friendship and loyalty. You weren't alone. You weren't sulking in shadows or suffering in sunlight.

You were free. You were elated. You were living. After years of existence, You could finally live. Your heart hastened, but not with fear or anxiety; It quickened with promise and jubilance.

Hunter watched your neutral expression, oblivious to the excitement bubbling beneath your skin. He sighed reluctantly and backed away. He was nearly out of sight as his silhouette faded into the shade.

"Hunter," You was surprised at the conviction of your voice.

You turned to face each other, and you noticed a swirl of unfamiliar emotions in his eyes.

"The majority of my life has been in isolation. Loneliness has been my only companion, and not a very good one either. It's been too long since I've let someone in, and I'm not convinced if I can, but I'm willing to try," You confessed.

The corners of his mouth turned into a small smile, and you returned the gesture.

What an odd way to start a friendship. You thought. With untimely confessions.

꧁༻꧂

A/N

Ok, so this is part one of two! I'm honestly VERY happy with this story. Also, I'm in a new English class and it is helping my writing! :D

This was a request by @SnipsT_42 I hope you like it!

Part two will be out sometime this week, idk when. School just started and I'm already getting loads of homework. (On another note, has anyone ever read Jekyll and Hyde before?)

I hope everyone is doing amazing and may the Force be with you!

Xoxo, Rando Mando