𝙸𝚝'𝚜 𝚗𝚘𝚝 𝚢𝚘𝚞𝚛 𝚏𝚊𝚞𝚕𝚝 (𝚁𝚎𝚡)

Y/n POV

Word count: 762

TW: slight negative self-talk and mentions of death

You sat there staring out a window at the vast green forests beyond the ship. Typically, you would immediately explore unfamiliar planets at the first opportunity, but not today.

Being a medic for the 501st seemed like an endless cycle of healing injuries and sickness. Even when the clones weren't fighting, they still managed to get hurt through all sorts of trouble. General Skywalker and Commander Tano weren't good influences either.

You still had loads of reports to file and shelves to stock in the med bay, but couldn't bring yourself to go back.

A tear fell down your cheek. It was all my fault. The clone should have survived. He should have been alive and recovering. You repeatedly told yourself.

But he wasn't. A person was dead because of you. A person was dead because you messed up. A person paid the price for your mistakes. He was a shiny. You didn't even know his name.

You began sobbing as you pulled your knees to your chest. You were a failure. A failure and a coward who couldn't look into the eyes of a dead soldier.

Your life back home was lonely and depressing. After your parents died, you felt so alone and isolated. You had never left Coruscant before being assigned to the 501st. Over the past few months, You'd seen so many beautiful planets you only ever dreamt about. And the clones were all so welcoming and kind. They were like family to you. No. They were my family.

And you killed a member of that family. Another sob escaped your throat.

You didn't bother to keep quiet. You discovered an old storage room two months ago and often went there to think. No one ever bothered you. It was a little slice of peace in the noisy chaos of the ship.

You heard footsteps echo down the hall outside and glanced at the door. You could see the shadow of a figure through the crack of light underneath it.

You held your breath. The last thing you wanted was someone walking in and seeing you crumpled up and crying in a corner.

There was a soft knock on the door. "Y/n? Are you in there?"

Of course, it was Rex. The one time you didn't want to see anyone in a room you thought no one knew about, he miraculously appeared.

You heard the door creek as Rex stepped inside. You quickly wiped my eyes and attempted to collect yourself. Even through the dim lighting, he immediately saw you.

He walked over to you in two long strides and kneeled beside you.

"Y/n? Are you alright?" he asked, concern painted on his face. Your attempts to hide the tears were futile.

"Yeah," you croaked, "I'm fine."

He shook his head and placed his hand on your shoulder. "You're not fine, Y/n. Tell me what's going on." His expression was a mix of hurt and compassion. You didn't want to lie to Rex, but you didn't want to burden him either.

You felt like a dam holding back a river of tears. you tried to be strong, but your composure cracked in front of Rex, and you both knew it.

You took a ragged breath. You couldn't hold it in. "It's all my fault, Rex. He's dead because of me." The tears streamed down my face. Rex immediately pulled you in for a hug, and you collapsed against his chest.

"It's not your fault, Y/n. You did everything you could," he whispered in your ear. He already knew what happened.

"No, I didn't. Any decent medic could have helped him. I'm so stupid. I-"

Rex grew tense and he lifted my chin so you were looking into his eyes. "No," he interrupted sternly, "Don't call yourself stupid, Y/n. You're a brilliant doctor. You're so thoughtful and gentle. You care about everyone around you. It's not your fault. Anyone can see that."

You were taken aback. "Do you honestly believe that?" you asked incredulously.

"Of course I do," he smiled ever so slightly.

You took a ragged breath and wiped my tear-stained cheeks. You were still sorrowful that the clone died, but Rex's words were like a warm blanket. You felt less at fault. "Thank you, Rex. It means a lot to me," you replied truthfully. You hugged him again. It felt nice.

"How did you know I was in here?" You thought aloud, "I was under the impression no one knew about this place?"

He chuckled, "There's not much that goes on that I don't know about. Including your hiding spaces. But don't worry, your secret is safe with me."

꧁༻꧂

A/N

So this is the first of many to come! It's kind of sad, but it was the first idea I had so I just went with it. I'm not entirely sure how to feel about it. Leave any thoughts or opinions in the comments and leave any requests too!

Also, I already published this chapter once but accidentally deleted it and this was the first opportunity I got to add it again.  I should publish something new in a couple of days!

Xoxo, Rando Mando