FOUR

Tears run down the corners of Clar's eyes as her heart constricted painfully at her infuriating circumstance. She held the covers tighter  as she lay against the headboard, wishing it was his heart underneath instead.

She knew of no human that would willingly sign up for this.

Her left hand traced her right arm which was now in a cast and turned her face. She slowly opened her eyes and spotted May at the foot of the bed next to her right foot.

Clar tried to speak but the ball in her throat was too big to swallow so she let the tears run. Her soft sobs were the only sound in the large room as May took a seat by her foot and let her hand run up and down her leg on top of the covers offering comfort as Clar cried until she felt the lump disappear.

'Do you want me to give you a shot that will reduce the pain?' May asked on paper and Clar nodded.

She watched her draw out a packed syringe and mini-sized glass cylinder-like bottle from a white transparent bag. May's hands were quick as she placed the needle in the syringe and mixed  the medicine.

Clar watched as May walked to her left side and sat closer, tying a glove around the top of her inner elbow and blinked as May injected the drug into her vein. May made her fold her arm to keep the cotton in place and placed the used items in a black container holding it in her one hand as she gave her paper pre-written.

'would you like me to escort you when you go shopping today?'

Clar sat up.

"Today?" that meant she could go out.

May nodded

"But my leg ." Clar interjected .

May walked to the right side of the bed in line with the headboard and retrieved two clutches. Polished and shiny as opposed to the ones she knew which were the dull grey ones and not black nice looking.

Clar softly voiced her thoughts dejected. "I'll have to walk around in shops with these."

May tapped her shoulder handing over another pre-written piece.

' if you don't feel up to it we can do it when you feel like it.'

Clar nodded her head eagerly, pushing the question of the pre-written responses aside. Her eyes landed on her front pocket of the thin beige hoodie May was wearing, wondering if she had more pre-written ones. And funny enough May handed her another one.

'I was given a set of questions you might have.' she explained and Clar wasn't off the mark in guessing who would have suggested them.

Rodriguez...

May turned the paper. 'If we you decide to head out I can get one of the guards to carry you down'

" No thanks. I'll manage." Clar got out of bed dressed in one of Rodriguez's oversized shirts with his briefs on the inside and nothing else.

She got one of the clutches placing the soft but firm padding under her left armpit apologetic she didn't fix herself first.

May helped her down the stairs the best she could.

At the bottom, May handed her another pre-written paper. ' he sprained your ankle and I placed an ACE bandage immediately after I found out.

Sorry, I took longer to get your arm in a cast. I had insisted he let you go to the hospital and he refused.

I numbed the area and bandaged your arm with splints when I checked in on you the previous night. You were shivering and sweating too.

Even though it's in a cast please refrain from using your arm. I wouldn't want your bone healing crooked.'