Is this what women face every day at work? Looked down upon by these kinds of nasty b******s with sick mindsets, who think of nothing but using women? It's absurd to think how many of these types of people exist in today's society.

I clenched my fists behind my back, feeling disgusted. He leaned in even closer, his words turning suggestive as he extended his hand for a handshake. "Opportunities like these can be quite beneficial, especially if you know how to make the most of them. You could make me very happy, Elysia."

My heart raced, and I felt a mix of anger and revulsion. I was screaming internally, wanting to respond, to shut him down, but my voice failed me. I clutched the fabric of my dress, my knuckles turning white.

"Really, Mr. Ashford? I would also like to know about this opportunity that you are offering to my person," Ares' deep, sarcastic, and cold voice sounded behind me. He gently pulled my arm back, distancing me from John Ashford.

My senses calmed down naturally with his presence as I released an inaudible sigh of relief. I looked up to see Ares standing right behind me, just a few inches away. His hand firmly held my arm, and his fierce, icy gaze was fixed on the man before us. My eyes widened at the intensity of his emotions. I have never seen him this furious except once in the past. Even his aura was intimidating, sending chills down my spine.

"M-mr. Knight, it's not–" John Ashford stuttered, caught off guard and flustered by Ares' sudden re-appearance.

"I think you forgot the first rule of my business, Mr. Ashford?" Ares' words cut through with a menacing tone. "Since you have so much free time to offer opportunities to people, I'll provide you one." John Ashford paled at Ares' stern words.

He attempted to speak, but Ares disregarded him, focusing on me with a gaze that held genuine concern, as his eyes landed on my shocked face. "Let's go," he said. I stood there, stunned by the contrast in his tone. My mouth hung open, unable to respond. I felt his warm and comforting palm rested on the back of my head when I didn't move. Ares led us away, turning us around, gently pulling my head to guide me forward.

When I faced forward again, Ares let go of my head and held my hand. We walked toward the balcony, my thoughts in disarray. I stared at our joined hands in a daze.

I'm holding Ares' hand...

I'm holding his hand once again...

I felt like my heart was in my throat as my stomach did weird flips, sending me back to years ago when he held my hand for the first time.

It shouldn't begin again...

It must not begin again...

I've witnessed enough; I have suffered enough...

My heart wouldn't be able to take it anymore...

Sometimes, when people distance themselves from their loved ones, it's not because they don't love them anymore, but it's because staying close has caused them too much pain...

It's not easy to let go of the only person you truly love. It requires immense strength and courage to silently take yourself out of the picture to make someone else happy...

Loving him was always my biggest secret, and I intend to keep it that way, not because I don't love him anymore but because I'm aware that he would never fall in love with me. I would not let my heart raise false hopes, only to have them crushed once more, just as they were in the past...

There were a very few people scattered around the balcony. Ares led us to a quiet spot near the railing. The cold air offered a respite for my flushed skin, like a soothing balm.