Chapter 28: iAm Sorry, You Were Right

Spencer was driving Carly, Sam, Freddie, and Gibby home from the hotel the next morning. Since the group arrived in the car, everyone was silent, even Gibby for a change. Spencer asked a few questions about the trip and didn't get much of a response from anyone.

"Alright, anybody want to tell me why you're all so quiet?" asked Spencer as he looked in the rearview mirror at Carly, Sam, and Freddie.

"I was told to not speak," said Gibby who was riding shotgun.

"That makes sense but the rest of you, what's wrong? Griffin didn't even stop by to say hello when I pulled up, did he leave before I got there?"

"Spencer, Griffin won't be coming around anymore, let's leave it at that for now."

Spencer's eyebrows raised a few inches as he looked in his rearview mirror again. "Well, alright then."

The silence returned for most of the car ride. Spencer dropped Gibby off at his house and took Carly, Sam, and Freddie back to Bushwell Plaza. As the group walked into the building, Sam whispered to Freddie.

"Should I just go home? Carly hasn't said anything to me."

"Come up with us. If she doesn't invite you over you can come to my place," said Freddie as he leaned his head slightly back toward Sam.

Sam was hoping that Carly would invite her back. She wanted to talk with her and clear the air. She was also looking forward to an apology.

The group reached their apartment doors. Freddie started to unlock his while Spencer unlocked his and Carly's. Sam stood in the middle staring at Carly, but Carly wasn't looking her way. Freddie nudged her to come over to his apartment, but Sam spoke up.

"Carly, I'd like to talk with you," she said with the utmost confidence even though she was shaking inside. "Can I come in?"

Spencer turned around as he opened the door and looked at Sam as if she was crazy. "Since when do you ever ask to come in? You usually waltz in unannounced every day multiple times a day."

"Carly?" asked Sam, waiting for her approval.

"Yeah, let's go to the studio."

Carly and Sam each sunk into a beanbag chair in the studio. There was silence. Each girl was waiting for the other to speak up. Sam was staring at Carly while Carly tried her best to look anywhere else.

"I'm waiting for my apology," said Sam sternly.

Carly finally decided to look at Sam. "Yeah, you were right, just rub it in my face."

"Carly, you know I'm not trying to do that," said Sam. "I'm sorry Griffin turned out to be a jerk but I hope you understand why I'm upset. I tried to protect you. I told you what happened and you wouldn't believe me, your best friend."

"I was in a tough spot!" said Carly while her eyes began to get teary. "You had a problem with Griffin from the start. You tried to break us up in the past, I thought you were pulling another one of your selfish stunts."

"I'm not always thinking about myself!" Sam snapped. "I know I've been selfish in the past, but I'm trying to be better."

"I know," said Carly as she wiped her eyes. "I'm sorry I didn't believe you. You were right all along."

Sam smiled. It felt good to receive Carly's apology. "Thanks, Carls. I wasn't right all along though, only when he tried to kiss me. Me trying to break you guys up at the track was just me being a jerk."

Carly laughed. "Well, I'm glad we're on the same page about that."

"So are we good?" asked Sam.

"We're good," said Carly as she stood up and motioned Sam in for a hug. Sam cracked a grin, stood up, and hug Carly as tight as she could. She loved this moment and the way Carly's body felt on hers. She didn't want to let go.

"Can I ask you something?" said Carly mid-hug.

"Go for it kid," said Sam and she let up her embrace.

"Well...Griffin had a theory about why you wanted to break us up."

"Okay," said Sam with a nervous laugh, "What was it?" Just as she finished her sentence, she remembered that Griffin vowed to expose her crush if she told Carly what happened at the pool. A nervous feeling boomeranged throughout her stomach as she waited to hear what Carly had to say. She was praying Griffin didn't end up saying anything to her.

Carly looked awkward. She was all fidgety as she tried to figure out how to phrase what she was about to say. "Well, um, Griffin seemed to think that you wanted to break us up because...because...um-"

"Spit it out, Shay!"

"He thought that you had a crush on me."

He told Carly. Sam's biggest fear was her reality. Griffin had warned her and this was the price she would pay. Sam's mouth grew dry while her hands grew sweaty. She nervously started rubbing her elbow. "Oh, that's...weird."

"Yeah...so weird," said Carly awkwardly. "But do you?"

"Do I what?"

"Do you, you know, want to be more than friends with me?"

Sam didn't know what to say. She hadn't imagined admitting her feelings to Carly like this. It didn't feel right. She wanted it to be more natural, like some of the other moments she shared with Carly.

"Carly, I'm not into you like that," Sam lied. "We've been best friends for years, I'm not into girls." It pained Sam to say this. She was screaming on the inside. She felt so fake. If she said yes, how would Carly react? She could tell how uncomfortable Carly was to even ask the question. She didn't get the sense the feelings would be reciprocated. How would she act knowing Sam had a huge crush on her?

"Okay," responded Carly, looking relieved. Her reaction felt like a punch to Sam's gut. "But some of the things you have been saying to me, and don't get me wrong, I appreciate them, they are just, you know, kind of...flirty."

"Of course they're flirty, Carly, I'm in love with you" is what Sam would've liked to say. But she restrained herself. "I'm sorry, I didn't mean it 'that' way, I'll tone it down."

"No, please don't! I love it," yelped Carly as she grabbed Sam's hands. "I just wanted to ask and let you know that you could tell me if you were feeling...different."

"I am not feeling 'different', but thank you."

"But can you promise me something?"

"Sure," said Sam through the pain. "What is it?"

"You promise to not keep things from me?"

Sam looked down at the ground. As of recently, she typically had trouble making eye contact with Carly whenever she was in the midst of a lie. If she said yes, she would be lying. She felt bad about the constant lies to Carly, but the streak would have to continue.

"I promise."