Chapter 13: iGot Caught

The voice came from Wendy, Griffin's ex-girlfriend. She was behind the 4-foot fence that separated the track from the fan section. She was holding on to the top of the fence, shaking.

Griffin, who had his arm around Carly, turned and saw Wendy and he gave her a confused look.

"Excuse me, I asked you what's going on. Why do you have your arm around her?" Wendy sternly said.

Griffin's jaw dropped; he didn't know how to respond, he was beyond confused. He hadn't seen or talked to Wendy since he dumped her months ago.

"Why are you asking my boyfriend why he has his arm around me?" snapped Carly.

"Your boyfriend?" Wendy responded in a sassy tone. "Your 'boyfriend' has been texting me all week to meet him here at the racetrack."

Carly removed Griffin's arm from her and took a step back as her mouth fell open. Pain immediately filled her eyes. She couldn't believe what she was hearing.

"Griffin, what is she talking about? Why have you been texting her?" Carly asked as she began to get emotional.

"Carly, I don't know what she's talking about, I haven't talked to her in months," Griffin responded in desperation.

Spencer and Gibby looked at Griffin in suspicion. Spencer started to get hot. The thought of Griffin cheating on his little sister removed all the goofiness from his body. He immediately kicked into protection mode. He stepped forward and confronted Griffin.

"Do you think it's alright to cheat on my little sister?" Spencer asked with his teeth clenched, looking more intimidating than he had in his whole life.

"I'm not cheating on your sister!"

"What texts did you send her, Griffin?" Carly responded as she was trying to hold in a sob.

Freddie and Sam watched this miserable event unfold knowing that they were the only ones who understood what was happening. Freddie was keenly staring at Sam hoping that she would own up to everything and put an end to this mess. Sam, had no intentions of doing that. This is what she wanted. This is what she planned all week for. Carly would be single once again. Griffin wasn't going to be able to navigate this situation.

Griffin was searching for answers, but he couldn't find any. All he could do was deny it.

"Carly," Griffin said as he tried to hold Carly's hands.

Carly pulled her hands away from him and pointed up at him. With teary eyes, she asked again, "What texts, Griffin?"

Wendy chimed in. This time, she was going to provide evidence.

"I have everything right here," Wendy said as she held up her Pear Phone. "I can read everything out loud."

She then started to pick out random texts from her conversations with "Griffin". She read aloud flirty texts, goodnight texts, "I love you" texts, and texts telling her to come to the racetrack. As each text was read, Carly's tears began to flow heavier and heavier down her cheeks. Griffin seemed to be frozen. Spencer was ready to sock Griffin and Gibby was behind him holding him back. Freddie was mouthing the words "Please fix this" to Sam. On the inside, Sam was starting to feel a bit guilty because she saw how much this was hurting Carly. Despite her guilt, she stuck to her plan, hoping to remove the obstacle, Griffin, that came between her and Carly. She had to stick it out a few more moments, and then she could swoop in and care for Carly, knowing that Carly would need to lean on her for support.

Griffin seemed to unfreeze himself with the boiling anger that he had developed inside of him. He snapped at Wendy and demanded to see her phone.

"Hand it over, I didn't send any of those texts, and I'm going to prove it!" He growled.

Wendy obliged and handed him the phone. As he looked through the text conversations from the contact name "Griffin" with a heart emoji next to it, she chimed in.

"I don't know what you're looking for," she said. "You've been caught playing both of us."

Griffin continued to scroll threw the long list of texts until he reached the start of it all. The very first text. He squinted his eyes, tilted his head, and gave a sharp grin.

"Right here, see, this isn't me," said Griffin as he showed Carly the very first text that was sent to Wendy. "I never got a new number."

Wendy's eyes grew wide. "Yes you did, you texted me that you did, it's right there!"

"No I didn't," said Griffin, feeling like he was working his way out of this jam. "These texts didn't come from my cell phone number. Someone is being an imposter."

As soon as he said this, Sam's started to feel a twisting motion in her stomach. While she became nervous that her cover was blown, she still had hope. They knew there was an imposter, but they had no way to prove it was her as long as Freddie kept his mouth shut.

Carly's tears subsided momentarily, "Let me see that," she said as she snatched the phone from him. She went into the contact information of the number sending the texts. She pulled out her own phone and pulled up Griffin's contact. She compared the two numbers and saw that the numbers differed.

"The numbers don't match," Carly said in relief. "Wendy, Griffin was not the person sending you those texts. Also, Griffin has a Pear Phone. His texts would appear blue and these are green. The person texting you doesn't have a Pear Phone."

Griffin then pulled his Pear Phone out of his pocket and held it up, giving it a couple of shakes to make sure Wendy saw it.

Wendy was beginning to get furious. "Give me my phone back!" she shouted at Carly who tossed the phone back to her. Wendy flipped through her phone looking for some sort of evidence to dismiss Griffin and Carly's claim. "Well, that doesn't mean he's off the hook! He could have two phones!"

"Why don't you call the number you were texting and see if someone picks up," Gibby suggested. Everyone turned and looked at him in shock. They had never heard an intelligent idea from him up until this point.

Wendy called the number and held the phone to her ear and it started to ring. Softly, in the background, the crew could hear a muffled phone ringing. Sam just about fainted when she realized she hadn't switched her pre-paid phone to vibrate. She stood still, hoping nobody would track the sound to her. After about 5 seconds, the whole group slowly turned toward her. They could tell the ringing was coming from her pocket. Sam slowly reached into her pocket and pulled the phone out and silenced it. She stared into the ground, unable to make eye contact with anyone.

Carly looked as if the life was sucked out of her. She looked at Sam and couldn't believe she was the one behind all of this. "Sam, how could you?"