Chapter 14: iThink You Took It Too Far

Sam raised her head to view the disappointed and shocked faces of her friends. When she constructed her plan to break up Carly and Griffin, she never considered the consequences. She never considered the plan failing. She had no doubt that Carly would be going home single tonight. Sam couldn't be more wrong. Carly would still be going home with a boyfriend, but she may be without a best friend.

"Carly, I don't know what to say," Sam said in a low tone. "I messed up real bad."

"Real bad," Gibby reiterated while shaking his head with his hands on his hips.

"I knew it was too good to be true," said Wendy in a disappointed tone. "Sam, why would you do this?"

"Yeah, Sam, I've been nothing but nice to you, and now you try destroying Carly's and my relationship?" Griffin said as he began to lose his usual calm, cool, and collected demeanor. "Not only did you try to break us up, but you also toyed with Wendy's feelings and completely catfished her. I don't think I've ever seen anyone act so selfish in my whole life. I've got a big prob-"

"It's okay Griffin," said Carly as she placed herself in front of him and put her hand on his chest. "I'll take it from here. Guys, can Sam and I have a moment alone?"

The group all looked at each other and nodded in agreeance. Wendy shot Sam a look of disgust and stormed off. Griffin tried to apologize to her as she made her way to the exit but she kept moving without turning around or missing a beat. Even though he had nothing to apologize for, he felt terrible that Wendy came to the track tonight believing she had reignited their old flame. The iCarly squad walked closer to the announce table in the middle of the track as the pre-show was nearing.

Carly and Sam were now alone. They were away from the rest of the group on the race track. There was some awkward silence as neither girl wanted to be the first to talk. Carly was staring at Sam, but Sam wasn't interested in returning a gaze. She was nervously looking around the track, wishing she was anywhere but here. Sam usually capitalized on any opportunity to take in Carly's beauty, but Carly was the last person she wanted to face at this moment.

"Explain," said Carly in a stern tone. She seemed more angry than upset at this point.

"Can we talk about this later tonight after the pre-show?" Sam asked. "I think that wou-"

"No! We are talking about this now!" barked Carly. "Why do you have such a problem with Griffin? You roasted him when he texted me and asked me out, you cried after I told you how good our first date went, and now you went through with a plan to blow up our relationship. Why can't you be happy that he makes me happy? You're supposed to be my best friend!" wept Carly as her anger was now turning back into sadness.

The night had become a mess. Minutes ago, they were ecstatic to wrap up the best show in the history of iCarly. Sam was even seconds away from expressing her love for Carly. Fast forward to now, it seemed as if everyone forgot about the fantastic show they put on. The celebration was halted so abruptly and the ending of the night couldn't come soon enough for everyone, especially Sam

"Freddie knew about my plan," said Sam, trying to defer the blame from herself.

The anger in Carly rose again as Sam was still trying to dodge her questions. Carly stepped forward towards Sam. She got so close to her that there was barely any space between their noses. Sam felt as if she was going to vomit. She wasn't going to be able to dance around Carly's questions.

"I am not going to ask you again, Sam," said Carly while clenching her jaw. "Tell me why you tried to break Griffin and me up."

For the first time in Sam's life, she was scared of Carly. She had never seen her this aggressive before. Part of her thought that Carly might slap her across the face if she didn't navigate herself out of the uncharted waters she found herself in. She didn't know how she could possibly cool this situation off. Sam tried to think of how to respond. With the adrenaline and happiness from the show worn off, she no longer wanted to express her love for Carly. There may not be another time to tell Carly she loved her, but this moment certainly wasn't going to be it. The only logical excuse that she felt giving Carly was that she didn't like Griffin. This was partially true, although most of her disdain for the kid came from him getting Carly to fall for him, again.