forty one | is it chill that you're in my head?

Start from the beginning

"So what, was I supposed to go to parties on school nights then?" he scoffed. I actually agreed with him, Alana didn't make sense. "You gotta use something better than that to argue, Al." Miles actually laughed, shaking his head and clearly ignoring his sister's murdering glare on purpose. "But again, I suppose my brain wouldn't work properly if I just had my tongue down my ex's throat."

Oh, wow, he was good. I must confess, I was impressed.

"Don't act cocky, Miles. I've caught you with dozen of bitc—"

"Nothing happened," said Ryker, who'd been quiet this whole time. "Alana, you should go home."

The person who seemed shocked was Miles. "You released her? I thought you said you're gonna lock her up for at least a week. It has only been five days."

"Maybe because I'm a nice person and I actually have a huge remorse for what happened." With that, she turned her gaze to me. "I am really sorry for what happened. I shouldn't have done that." She glanced at Ryker for a split second but his eyes were on me — which was very unsettling. Then she added, "Especially since you're our future Luna."

Was she trying to be funny or sarcastic? She knew she was the future Luna. She clearly had Ryker wrapped around her fingers. He even used me to get his fortune back from his family by trying to charm me — which made him ignoring me sounded a bit odd, but what do I know? He could be playing hard to get, testing to make me miss him, or whatever his mind could surmise.

"I'm not your future Luna," I said, giving her a hard look.

Alana gave Ryker a look and I could see a hint of a smile on her lips. They were clearly thinking this whole thing was funny, and I hated it.

"That's enough," said Ryker. "Miles, bring your sister home with you."

"I would prefer she walks. The last thing I want was to have her taint my car," said Miles. He turned to me and surprised me by grabbing my wrist and pulling me into his hug. He was barely taller than me, and when he leaned down, his lips were next to my left ear. "Don't think too much about what my bitch sister did here or what she said, Xy. Ryker is just confused. He likes you but Alana being here doesn't make it easy," Miles whispered. I felt his lips moving against my ear and tried my best not to laugh. It tickled a little.

I put my arms around him and pressed my mouth against his shoulder so that Alana and Ryker wouldn't be able to know that Miles and I were actually communicating, although I could feel his eyes making a hole in the side of my head. "He doesn't like me," I whispered back. "And don't worry."

"I'll pick you up tomorrow?" asked Miles. His volume was normal right now. No doubt he purposely wanted both his sister and Ryker to hear it.

I withdrew and smiled at him. "Yeah. Text me first though so I could get ready."

"I will." Miles gave me his charming, lopsided smile. He lifted his hand and his knuckle brushed my cheek lightly before he stepped back and walked towards the front door. "If you're not coming with me in five seconds, Al, I am serious about you walking."

At that note, Alana gave a quick "I'll see you later" to Ryker, then strutted her way to the front door, following her brother. "Miles, wait. Do you know what Mum would say if she knows you're being childish like this?"

I could faintly hear Miles replying to her with, "I think she would be understanding considering you're being a bitch."

Then the door was closed and whatever conversation they had was no longer audible. Without looking at Ryker, I walked toward the kitchen. I didn't want to run upstairs and lock myself in my bedroom like a coward. I'd said that I wanted to brew the tea, so I would do that right now.