The Eye of the Phoenix [1]

Candles illuminated the halls of the castle as the late night washed over Camelot. Instead of retiring to the physicians' chambers as she ordinarily did, Arwen found herself walking through the foyer of the hall of ceremonies, eyes catching sight of her brother already there and peaking through the door which remained ajar.

Stepping up next to him, she leaned closer too, eyes looking into the large chamber illuminated by moonlight and Arthur kneeling in its centre. "What's he actually doing?" She whispered to her brother quietly as to not disturb the prince.

"Thinking."

"About?"

"You."

The sly look which followed her brother's words made Arwen step back so she could properly smack him on the shoulder, pretending to be angry as she tired to cover the smile spreading over her face. With a quick shush, her brother moved away and carefully closed the door before speaking, his voice still quiet and calm. "He has to decide upon a quest."

"And crouching on his knees all night is going to help?" Arwen asked, unable to withhold the doubt from her voice.

"Yes. He has to transcend his body so that the quest is revealed to him in a vision." Merlin said, watching as the doubt never left his sister's face. "By succeeding in the quest, he will prove to the kingdom and the people that he is worthy of leading them."

"I do suppose it's a better way of shaping a future king then just telling him his bloodline is enough." Arwen couldn't help but admit. "Did you know one of my ancestors was actually called Bernard the Cowardly?"

"Let me guess, not the best of kings?" Merlin joked.

"He was fearful of everything. But with no other heirs of the Baudissan line, or descendants of whatever line Elara was of, he was the only one who could rule." Arwen shared a bit of history that she'd learned during her time learning and exploring. "Prairene lost nearly half its lands during his reign."

"See? This is actually a good rite of passage." Merlin claimed proudly, making the redhead raise an inquisitive eyebrow at him.

"And you're going to, what, stay here and watch him?" She asked, unable to hold the amusement from appearing on her face, earning herself a scolding look from the boy.

"Arwen, this is one of the most important days in a prince's life."

"Alright then." She said, raising her hands in surrender as she started to walk backwards and away from him. "Have a fun night."

"You're not going to stay with me?" Merlin asked in surprise, clearly having expected her to do so.

"The council is meant to convene here as soon as the sun rises tomorrow, anyways." Arwen revealed. "So, no. Instead of spending a night sleeping on the floor, I will enjoy the comforts of my own bed."

"Traitor." Merlin scoffed at her, making Arwen let out a small laugh as she began to climb the stairs.

"Good night, brother. Don't let the floor bugs bite."