The Tears of Uther Pendragon [2]

As if the night hadn't already been eventful enough, Arwen now found herself sneaking through the halls of the palace with one specific place in mind. She knew that, as always, the library would be abandoned at this time of night. And while, during some of their first meetings within its aisles, she'd always been on high alert, by now Arwen easily moved by the desks and shelves on her way to the corner where she'd been meeting Edmund for their secret conversations throughout the last year.

"Your highness, it's good to see you again." Edmund said, already waiting for her in their meeting place and seeing her approach. He greeted her with a small bow which only earned him a shake of her head.

"Quit it with that, will you?" Her question had the man letting out a small chuckle as he motioned her over to sit at the table which they most often occupied, a few books on medicine set out around them. Nobody had ever walked in or interrupted their meetings before, but if they did get caught, Arwen could easily excuse it as a part of her job and explain Edmund as a nuisance that wouldn't leave her to it. "You said you had good news?"

"My father held the meeting you spoke of the last we saw each other." Edmund said, Arwen's attention now on high alert as she listened to every word. "King Rodor is hesitant to make any promises all the while nobody's really... certain you're real..."

"We expected as much. Rodor is a kind and just leader, but that does not make him a fool." Arwen reminded him, not seeming too dejected by the revelation. It was their own idea, after all, to utilize the secrecy which still remained about her identity to their advantage.

"However, according to my father, if your intentions remain the same," Edmund continued on after the short interruption. He had no qualms about that part of the story changing, by now it was clear to anyone who'd had a chance to interact with Arwen beyond her capacity as a physician, that all the promises of peace which his father made on her behalf wouldn't be broken. "Prairene will have Nemeth's support once you return to the throne."

This was the plan she and Edmund had thought of. Seeking out Prairene's former allies to see where they'd stand once things began to change again. By now, everyone knew she was somewhere out there. Everyone was beginning to realize Prairene's strength was growing and something was afoot. But aside from the men she'd already met, even as the volunteers continued to join the ranks and swear allegiance, nobody but the initial few truly knew of Arwen's identity and location. Now was the perfect time to have her people reaching out to those beyond their own kingdom as they prepared for the future.

"My father's advised me to try and get you to reconsider reaching out to King Caerleon as well." Edmund added on, his voice a bit more hesitant this time than it was while he delivered the news of Nemeth. He was certain he already knew what her answer would be, and was soon proven correct on it too.

"As I said before, reaching out to those who have issues with Camelot isn't the right way. Once our alliances become public knowledge, it will send a wrong message." Arwen pointed out, knowing the words by heart by now as she'd given the advice great thought already. "Nemeth and Gawant are both allies to Camelot, as they were to Prairene along with it during the Great Purge. We want allies who see the picture the same way as we do. Who see the ability of both kingdoms to co-exist. Not those who will support us only for the sake of spiting Camelot and the Pendragons."

"Or worse, hoping for war." Edmund added on, knowing very well that he agreed with her reasons. His father did too. If anything, their conversation now made Edmund think back on what Geoffrey had said before he left for Camelot. "He's right, you know? You're growing to become an incredible queen."

"I'm not queen yet, Edmund." Arwen pointed out the technicalities behind his statement, making the Warren let out a small laugh of amusement.

"Your twentieth birthday has come and passed, the land has accepted you and welcomed you. All that is left now is a bit of ceremony." He reminded her right back, making the redhead nod her head in agreement. By tradition of her kingdom, technically, she already was its ruler. And still, working from the shadows and continuing on with her days as a court physician made it seem less real than it was.