I walked to the bar and sat on a stool in front of Claudia, the waitress I slept with once in a while. I had dealings with her cousin, too — more complicated but beneficial nonetheless.

Claudia looked at me with a tense smile, leaned on the bar, and offered a partial view of her breasts. As much as she could manage with the uniform she had on.

"I see you've found another person to spend time with," she said.

Funny.

"He's my stepbrother," I said, and then looked down at my wristwatch. I would be seeing Katie in forty-five minutes. I looked back at the brunette in front of me, gawking. "I don't know why you care," I added, standing up. "Tell Aggie I'll be waiting for him tonight on the docks at Kyle's party."

Claudia clenched her jaw, probably pissed at how little attention I was paying to her. I couldn't get why girls expected a relationship from a guy like me. I warn them I didn't want a commitment. Wasn't it clear that I'd sleep with whomever I felt like? Why did they think they could change me? No one will ever change me.

I'd stopped sleeping with Claudia for that very reason, and she still hadn't forgiven me for it.

"You're going to the party?" she asked, sounding slightly hopeful.

"Wouldn't miss it for the world" I responded, ignoring her irritation before I headed back to the table. "Me and Katie. By the way, try to do a better job at pretending you don't know me. My stepbrother already figured out we've slept together, and I'd prefer my father not to do the same."

Claudia pressed her lips together and turned around without a word. Just the way I liked her, mouth shut and do as I told.

I got back just as dessert was being dropped off. After a few minutes, with my father and his new wife hogging the conversation, I decided I'd played the role of good son enough for one day.

"Sorry, but I need to go," I said, looking at Dad, whose brow furrowed briefly. I knew he was gonna say something, I should have just excused myself.

"To Miles's place?"

I nodded and tapped my watch.

"What's going on with the case?"

I sighed with resignation and lied as best I could. "His parents have left us in charge of all the paperwork. I guess that means we've got a real case, and with us working on it, it'll take years," I replied, aware that Justin was observing me with interest.

"A real case? What are you studying?" he asked. He looked surprised, even a little disconcerted.

"Law," I said. He seemed impressed. "Does that surprise you?" I was putting him in a corner with that question, and I enjoyed it.

His attitude changed as he looked me right in the eye. "It does, honestly. I thought that was a major that required having a brain. But I guess you wanna be like your Dad so you don't have to use it, and he can do everything."

"Justin!" his mother shouted.

That little fucker was trying to taunt me.

Before I could say my remark, my father butted in.

"You've both started off on the wrong foot." His expression was icy.

It took everything in me to not stand up and walk out with no explanation. I have had enough of the happy family act for one day; I needed to bounce and stop trying to fake interest in all that shit.

"Sorry, I've got to go," I declared, getting up and dropping my napkin on the floor. I bent over to pick it up, and as I did so, I whispered something to my stepbrother. "Mess with me again, and it will be the last thing you'll ever do." I whispered for him to only hear. I sat the napkin on my empty plate of food. No way I was going to lose my cool in front of Dad.

Justin got up, too, without an ounce of elegance, and threw his own napkin down, not even trying to appear polite.

"If he's going, I'm going, too," he affirmed, glaring at his mother, who started looking from side to side, overwhelmed and upset.

"Sit down," his mother ordered threw gritted teeth.

I couldn't waste time on this nonsense. I had places to be.

"I'll take him with me," I said to everyone's surprise, Justin included.

He looked at me with suspicion, not believing me, as if he thought I was concealing my true intentions. Honestly I couldn't wait to lose him, and if taking him home would make that happen faster, then so be it. Especially if it meant I could get away from my father as well.

"I wouldn't walk five feet with you," he said proudly, enunciating each word. "I'll get a Uber."

Before anyone could respond, I grabbed my jacket, and as I slipped it on, I said to everyone in general, "I'm not in the mood for these grade school games. I'll see you tomorrow."

"Cole, wait," his mother commanded. "Justin, go with him and get some rest. We'll be back in a while. Don't worry, Cole's a good driver."

My new brother seemed to be wavering. Then he sighed, scowled, and said, "Fine, I'll go with you.