"We met in Barcelona and it was love at first sight," I said, sweetly innocent. "After that it all just fell into place." I felt bad lying to him; he seemed like such a sweet man, and even better, a loving dad to Grayson.

        "Well, you two seem happy, and I can't imagine Grayson would take such a commitment lightly," Mr. Answell. He was right–Grayson would only make such a commitment if he was drunk.

        "Your son is incredible; you should be proud of him," I said truthfully. "I'm really grateful to have met someone so compassionate."

        Mr. Answell was grinning at the aforementioned Grayson, who was staring at his shoes and blushing ridiculously. "That's great to hear, I guess I did something right."

        "Then there's me," Clay said with a winning smile, neatly folding his hands under his chin.

        "Yeah, you're hopeless," Grayson stated bluntly.

        Mr. Answell pinched the bridge of his nose. "Guys, I just got home. And you're also both adults now; this squabbling has to stop."

        "But it's the highest form of entertainment," Clay pouted, giving me a not-very-discreet wink.

        "Mother will want to see you," Grayson told his father as we walked inside.

        "Ah, is she here? I thought she was in Barbados this week," Mr. Answell said, sounding much too excited to see Laura.

        "She was. The weather was too bad, so she decided to stay home," his son said.

        "Well, it's always lovely to see Laura," Mr. Answell said, grabbing his suitcase and heading through the living room. Or was it the foyer? I was still struggling to learn how the mansion worked. The three of us followed behind, with Clay shuffling his feet. I hung back a bit, still incredibly nervous. With my luck, this would be the day I knocked over a precious vase or slammed into a glass door. 

        "Why hello, Answell, it's lovely to see you!" Laura said with a bright smile as we entered the living room. Yes, this definitely feels like the living room.

        "Lovely as always, dear Laura," Mr. Answell replied, kissing her hand. I couldn't help but silently question their lack of joy in seeing each other. Clay, who was hanging back with me, had the answers.

        "They went to boarding school together," he murmured in my ear. "Hence why she calls him Answell. It started out as her using him for his grades, so they'd study together. Then her parents arranged the marriage and here they are, two perfectly normal strangers. I swear they haven't actually kissed in years, although they could definitely use it."

        "Clay!" I hissed, shocked. He shrugged, finding nothing wrong with his outlandish statement.

        "Darling, have you met Jackie?" Laura asked, daintily taking her husband's extended arm.

        "Yes, she's truly a sweet girl. Seems like a good fit for our Grayson," he replied, winking at me. My pride swelled; he really did think I was a good match for his son. His son, who was already so accomplished and grown-up at only twenty-four. Then I scolded myself as I remembered it didn't really matter. 

        Laura smiled politely at me before saying, "Anyways, I had a huge dinner made for your return, Answell, if you're hungry after a long flight, we could sit down now."

        "Dinner sounds great," he said, sounding a little food-deprived. He walked away with her, leaving me with the two boys.

        "Your dad seems really great," I told them truthfully.

        "He is. Which is why it's nuts that he's with Laura," Clay sighed, flopping back onto the couch.

        "It's not nuts, they were sweethearts in school," Grayson said, defensive. 

        Clay snorted. "And haven't been since. I'm telling you, she slipped him a love potion."

        "For the last time, Clay, love potions aren't real."

        "You don't know that. And if anyone invented one, it would be mom," he insisted.

        Grayson rolled his eyes and turned to me, effectively ending the conversation. "I know he likes you, Jackie. Promise," he said, referring to his dad.

        "I think so too," I agreed. "But um, are there any expectations for dinner?"

        "No, just another dress up event," he sighed.

        "Oh, goodie, I can traumatize Laura," Clay said in a voice that was much too thrilled. "I'm thinking spiked hair and a hot pink tie."

        "You own a hot pink tie?" I asked curiously.

        He winked. "Of course I have a hot pink tie, Jackie."

        Grayson coughed. "Should we go get ready?"

        "Yes. Ta-ta, dear friends. Prepare for her expression of horror. I can't wait!" And with that, Clay had bounced away.

        Grayson and I headed to our room to change, where my closet was now full of options for dinner. "This time I'm picking out what I wear," I warned, flipping through the hangers.

        "I don't know...last time was pretty fun," he teased, unbuttoning his shirt.

        "It was not fun. It was annoying," I retorted, pulling out a dress and heading into the bathroom. "Thankfully I have my own clothes now."

        "Yes, how fortunate." Grayson was still laughing at me.

        I came out of the bathroom in a floor-length red dress. This one also had thin straps, but a normal neckline, much to my delight. Triumphant, I smirked at Grayson as I reached for my new jewelry box that Laura had bought and filled with elegant pieces. 

        "Still so gorgeous I can't take my eyes off you," he remarked, unwilling to let me win.

        Childishly, I stuck my tongue out at him. "Hilarious. You should be a comedian," I said sarcastically, putting on a thin diamond necklace. That is, I hoped they weren't real diamonds.

        "It's the truth, wife, although I do enjoy frustrating you as a bonus," Grayson said breezily.

        "See, that's what I don't understand," I complained with a massive sigh. "I'm doing you this huge favor by sticking around, and you just choose to annoy me to death. It doesn't seem very kind on your end."

        "Oh, see, I view it from the other end. You've chosen to glue yourself to me, and therefore I have the opportunity to torment you a little," he countered.

        "What a delightful notion," I groaned, standing in front of the floor-length mirror and carefully putting in the small diamond earrings. Those were actually my own earrings; I'd just been fortunate enough to have been wearing them the night I married Grayson.

        Speaking of the scoundrel, he came up behind me, slipping his arms around my waist and rested his head over my shoulder. The sharp scent of his cologne was heavenly, without being overwhelming. I drew in a breath, much too aware of how the weight of his palms seemed to burn right through the fabric of my dress. Wary, I asked, "Um, what are you doing?"

        "Red looks incredible on you," was all he said. My heart rate spiked as his nose glided along the inside of my neck, sending sparks down my spine.

        "Th-thanks, but I don't see why it m-matters," I stammered, biting down so hard on the inside of my lip that I tasted blood. 

        He lightly kissed the base of my neck, lingering for a moment before murmuring, "Trust me, Jackie, it matters."

        Close to collapsing, I cleared my throat and said, "Are we ready to go?"

        "I am. Are you?" he said, innocently stepping away.

        I kissed his cheek. "Always, dear husband."