Chapter 2

Cameron

I step into the halls of Prestige Academy and immediately hate it. Obviously, nothing has changed.

The students are still the same, already forming cliques and groups.

I walk over to my locker to put my stuff in. "Hi," Mishael greets me as she approaches me."Hey," I go back to putting my locker in order.

"How was your break? Did anything interesting happen?"Mishael asks me.

"Fine and no,nothing happened. Same old boring break unfortunately ", I respond with sarcasm in my voice, wanting her to get the hint to go away.

Mishael is one of the divas of Prestige, and her standing in front of my locker having a conversation with me is bad news. I just know it.

"Oh, that's too bad. I just wanted to check on you, you know, see how you're doing after the break." She says to me.

"That's awfully nice. Thanks Mishael" . Sarcasm is still evident in my voice, and with that, she finally leaves.

"Cameron," someone screams my name at the top of their lungs, and I knowing exactly who it is, waits for her to walk up to me.

"For someone who spoke to me just yesterday night, you act like we've not talked for a year." I say to her while trying to hide my smile from my best friend.

"Yeah, but that was yesterday, and I haven't talked to you today. I've missed you. "

"Sure you have," my tone still drips with sarcasm.

"Did I just see you and Mishael talking to each other?".

"I can hardly say that it was a conversation. I don't know what she wanted. "

"Probably something to gossip about with her friends," Kiki says with hate.

I close my locker, finally satisfied with its new look and walk with Kiki to our first class.

"So... How's this year going to be for my bestie?" Kiki asks me.

"No idea, as long as last year doesn't replay itself, I'm absolutely good," I say to her and mean every word.

We walk into our first class , biology, and walk to our sits in the back row.

I place my books on my table waiting for Mr Albert so our class can commence.

The kids in the class are still talking, but once the teacher steps in, everyone maintains decorum, and the class begins.

Halfway into the class, I'm trying not to fall asleep as Mr Albert goes on and on about the ecosystem, and then he walks in.

Everyone's attention immediately drifts to the door that is now open and to the boy standing looking into the class.

My heart stops beating, and it's like my lungs have forgotten how to function.

Our eyes instantly meet, and my heart aches. He doesn't look like how he did when I last saw him.

The last time I saw him, he apologised to me and asked me to take him back. The last time I saw him, I made him promise that he would leave this place.

He promised me that he would leave, that I wouldn't see him again, and although it hurt and broke me, that seemed like the best thing at that time, and it still is.

The boy standing in front of the class talking to Mr. Albert has grey beautiful eyes that once used to dance with amusement and mischief, but now his eyes are dull and emotionless.

His black hair has not been combed but ruffled with his hands. He has always been lean, but now he looks like he has lost weight, but at least he still has his tanned complexion.

His face is rigid, and he doesn't give the teacher so much as a glance when he greets him and steps into the classroom.

"Good morning, sir." Laroi greets Mr Albert before stepping in and taking a seat next to me.

"Mr Laroi, you seem to be really late, and you have interrupted my class.

Now students can I please have your attention, " Mr Albert says.

I am still shocked as to what just happened. Pain spreads in my chest just at the sight of him.

Kiki gives me an encouraging smile, and I smile back at her, but my smile doesn't get to my eyes.

He must have a lot of nerve sitting next to me even after promising me that he was leaving town.

I turn to look at him and catch him staring at me. He gives me a smile. That same smile that would always give me butterflies, and to my annoyance, his smile still has that same effect on me.

Mr Albert finally stops talking as the bell rings for the next class.

"See you students in our next class, and don't forget to submit your assignments before then," Mr Albert reminds us.

I quickly pack up my books and dash out of the class, not even waiting for Kiki, she'll understand.

I head over to my locker as quickly as possible to dispose of my books and get the ones I need for my next class.

I'm happy that I escaped from him. I close my locker, turn around to walk to my next class, and bump into someone. Immediately knowing who I bumped into, I began to wish the ground would open up and swallow me whole.

"Easy there, where are you rushing to?" He says to me with humour evident in his voice.

I step away from him, planning to walk away without having a conversation, but he realises what I plan to do and blocks me, causing me to bump into him again.

"Won't you even talk to me, Cam?" He says, almost sounding like he's pleading with me.

"Leave me alone, Laroi," I say to him, already irritated and just wanting to leave.

"Oh, come on, Cam."

"Don't call me that," I say to him, trying to sound rude, but my voice betrays me.He chuckles. Obviously, he finds my irritation amusing.

"Clearly, you didn't even miss me a little Cam. That's not fair,you didn't miss me, and I couldn't stop thinking of you, " He says to me.

"I don't have time for this, Laroi. I have a class right now if you haven't noticed. I say to him, this time trying to sound every bit rude.

To my surprise, he steps out of my way and lets me go. I finally look up into his grey eyes, not knowing what to expect now.

"Can we talk after school? I could drive you home, " He asks, breaking the silence.

"No," I say to him a little too harshly than how I wanted to sound, but my guilt was immediately washed away as I remembered the pain he put me through.

"Cameron"

My heart breaks even more by his choice of addressing me with my full name. I quickly regain my composure and look into his eyes again.

"There's nothing left to talk about, Laroi. You're not even supposed to be here. If you remember, you promised me that you would leave. " I say to him.

"I know, but something came up, and I had to stay. Please, Cameron, " He pleads with me. I gaze into his eyes again, and I immediately regret it. The look in his eyes softens my heart.

"Fine, we'll talk after school. I drove to school so we could just go get coffee and talk there, " I say to him, sounding compassionate this time.

"Thank you, Cameron."

I walk away before my emotions have the time to betray me again.