Nate slips through the door. "Hey, baby sis. You okay?"

I sniffle. "Yeah. I'm fine."

"Did you have a few minutes to talk?"

"Sure," I nod and clear my throat, using the sleeve of my shirt to wipe my eyes.

He crosses the room and sits down on my bed, facing me. I turn in my chair so I can face him.

"I'm sorry about what happened. I love you, Layla, you know that, right? I love you a lot."

I smile. "I know, Nate. I love you too."

He takes a big breath. "So ... I've decided not to go back to Uganda after Mom's wedding."

That catches me by surprise. "What? Seriously? But you love it there."

He pulls something out of his pocket. A small velvet box. "I do love it. I did love it. But I love you and Mom more. And I love Grace with every inch of my heart and soul."

He opens the box and I gasp. A diamond ring sparkles under my room light. It's breathtakingly beautiful.

"Wow, Nate," I smile. "That's freaking awesome."

He clicks the box shut. "It is. And we've talked about the future and she's willing to settle down in any state with me. That means I'll be closer to home. And I'll be around much more."

"That's great. I'm really, really happy for you, Nate."

He laughs. "Let's just hope she says yes."

"She'd be stupid not to. Have you told Mom yet?"

"She is next on the list. I wanted to tell you first."

I get up and walk over to him. He stands up and hugs me and while I'm standing there in my big brother's arms, I feel okay.

"This is surreal," I say into his chest. "Everyone is getting engaged this summer."

He pulls away and looks down at me. "I heard about that. Fuck him, Layla. He doesn't deserve us."

For Nate, it was always easing letting go. Easy accepting the fact that our dad wouldn't be around anymore. For me, it wasn't. "He's still our dad, Nate."

"Yeah, well, his loss, right?"

I try to smile but my mouth won't let me. "Right. Rebecca posted it all over Facebook."

Nate crosses his arms. "She's like almost thirty. Of course, she did." Then he scoffs. "Facebook."

"I guess Dad got the daughter he always wanted."

Nate reaches out and places a hand on my shoulder. "Don't think like that, Layla."

Hard not to.

"Anyway, you should go tell Mom."

At the same time, someone knocks on my door. Grandpa steps in.

"They just arrested Liam. He's down at the station. That's what we know so far. They said they'll keep us updated."

I let out a sigh of relief and Nate does the same.

"Thank god," he says.

And yet something still doesn't feel right.

— — —

When my eyes open again, my room is dark and quiet. I get up and let out a slight wince. I was sleeping on my back and now my head hurts.

I get up and brush my teeth because for some reason I have an odd taste in my mouth. I splash my face with cold water then I head downstairs.

There's a note on the door.

Went out for drinks with Nate in celebration. Dinner is in the fridge.
—Love everyone.

It sounds like the TV is on. Someone must be home. I amble to the living room where I find Grayson relaxed on the couch, watching a movie.

"Hi," I say, my voice coming out quiet.

He turns his head in my direction and smiles. Warmth fills my chest looking at him. "Hey. Welcome back. How was your nap?"

I hesitate, tracing a circle on the wall beside me as I lean on it. "It feels like I died and came back to life. What day is it?"

He chuckles. Then motions me over with his head. "Come here."

I walk over to him and slip onto his lap. He pulls me closer to him, resting one hand on my lower back and the other on my knee.

"When did you get back?" I ask softly, hugging him.

"About an hour ago. No one was home when I got here. I saw you sleeping so I thought I'd leave you to it."

I let out a long breath on his shoulder, grazing my thumb over the space behind his ear.

"Are you hungry?" He asks. The sounds of a movie I don't recognize play softly in the background.

I shake my head.

His hand travels from my knee to my hip. "Thirsty?"

"No." I kiss his ear and his breath catches. "What are you watching?" I whisper, resting my head against his.

He smiles. "No idea."

I settle into him, resting against him, keeping one hand around his neck and the other on his chest.

"You okay?" I feel the tingling sensation of his warm breath on my forehead, stirring my hair.

I nod against him. "I am now."

We stay like that for a long time, watching the silly movie. Grayson silently laughs at every funny scene, his body shaking with laughter, and I look up at him, and I feel something so strong in my chest every time he laughs.

It gets all warm and fuzzy whereas my stomach feels empty, as if I'm nervous or something. And he doesn't notice. He keeps watching the movie unaware. And somewhere unknown, a slight hint of pain surfaces. The thought of losing him.

I love him. I'm in love with Grayson Wallace. It's so clear now. I feel it in every part of my body, in every square inch of my heart.

I feel it so deeply I want to shout it from rooftops and burst out into song. He is the one for me. He always has been.

At some point, the movie finished, and now Grayson is looking down at me, his lips slightly curved. I'm nauseous but in a good way.

"What's on your mind, Lay-Lay?"

"Nothing, I just ..." I can't finish that, so instead I close the gap between us and place my lips on his. He kisses me back tenderly, hesitant. But I can feel the way his heart is beating wildly in his chest.

I'm sure mine is beating just the same. He tastes like everything I want. Everything I need. And soon enough he's taken control and I part my lips for him as his soft mouth moves against mine, warmth settling into my stomach.

He pulls away from me, brushing his nose against mine. "You're my favorite person in the whole world, you know that?"

I cup his face in my hands and kiss him long and slow, feeling his warm breath against my mouth. "You're my favorite person too." He kisses me again and we kiss for a very long time.

"Layla?" I break away from Grayson's warmth and his heady kiss to find my mom standing there, an unreadable expression on her face. She looks slightly mad.

I step up out of Grayson's lap and he joins me, adjusting his shirt.

"Mom, we were ..."

"Getting to know each other very well by the looks of it." She cuts me off, crossing her arms. Then she scoffs. "I can't deal with this right now. Everyone wants to have a movie night in here."

And just as she says it, the Langley family comes careening in. But all I can see is that disappointed look on my mom's face as she turns around and leaves, clearly tense.

This is not good.

-
(Little late update, been at work and had no time. Anyway, hope you enjoy it!!! Love you guys, happy reading !!! Please vote 🥹🫶 Thank you!)