Chapter Twenty-Four

The plane landed in Barcelona at eleven o'clock in the evening, and Valerie felt memories rush back to her as she stood outside of the airport, thinking back to when she had first met Ines here.

The pair hadn't spoken since their argument, and Valerie didn't exactly have the urge to speak to her, she couldn't find the words to articulate how she really felt.

Valerie was becoming impatient as the taxi she had booked was late, and her eyes began to droop from how tired she felt.

"Do you need to set up a bed here?" A teasing voice snapped Valerie out of her trance, turning her neck to the side and she regretted not dressing up for the plane ride as Alexia stood in front of her, in a long black trench coat with a tracksuit underneath.

"I need a chauffeur."

"I'm at your service." Alexia joked, relief settling in as she watched Valerie smile ever-so slightly.

"Of course..." The blonde hinted, tugging the suitcases behind her catching the captain's attention, who sprung into action and took hold of her luggage then gesturing for Valerie to follow her to the car, "Thank you for this, you didn't have to."

"Val, I wanted to. Trust me." Alexia smiled, watching as the blonde got settled into the car seat and her hand reached over to take hold of Valerie's before stopping, "Sorry—It's a habit."

"We should talk, Ale."

"Not yet, please." Alexia pleaded, her face scrunched up as she couldn't find the right words, she hadn't thought of what to say up until now, the captain had confided in Mapi but realised it was a bad decision, "Can we just pretend?"

Valerie intentionally ignored her question, realising that they weren't heading towards her apartment.

"Where are we going?"

"I'm starting to believe, it's a surprise is apart of our relationship." Alexia laughed, unaware of what she had yet and noticed Valerie's expression become unidentifiable, "What did I say?"

"Our relationship? We're still together?" Instead of reassuring Valerie, the captain ignored the question until they parked and Alexia jumped out of the car, furthering the blonde's confusion.

"Don't ask... Just follow me."

Valerie shook her head, but acquiesced regardless as she trusted Alexia despite what they had been through in the past weeks. The streets were slightly more empty but the captain led them towards the distinguishable Museu Nacional d'Art de Catalunya.

"What are we doing here?" Valerie was quickly shushed by the taller woman, causing her eyebrows to scrunch as she found Alexia's sudden behaviour questionable.

"I'm sorry, hermosa. But no questions, remember?" Valerie fell silent, not because Alexia asked her to, but she reminisced over the familiar nickname, remembering when the captain used to whisper it in her ear or compliment her.

It made Valerie miss the old them. The innocent but sweet relationship. She wanted it, all of it.

Suddenly, Alexia stopped the pair of them and stood beside Valerie as she held her hands behind her back, fidgeting with her fingers which the blonde recognised as her being nervous.

"Breathe." Valerie whispered, taking hold of Alexia's hand which shocked the captain, but soon her wide grin told Valerie that she was okay with the sudden contact.

Before they could say anything else, the fountain before them began to shine lights and water spewed into the air—the sight itself fascinated the crowd watching it, Valerie in awe of its beauty.