Chapter Eleven

Author's Note: I have added Lucy and Keira into the team early as I wanted Valerie to have British friends while playing for Barcelona. The storyline will still follow the events of 2022.

Sorry for any confusion!

Two days.

Two days until FC Barcelona made history. Forty-eight hours until the final against Lyon. Valerie would be lying if she said she wasn't nervous, especially now that she had recently recovered from her injury. The woman was even more nervous that she was playing against her former club and friends.

The girls were training in the gym, Valerie was training beside Lucy, the two British athletes gossiping at they lifted weights between them.

"Keira won't talk to me..." Lucy grumbled, sparing the red-head across the gym as she looked up momentarily, her cheeks burning red as Keira was looking too.

"Subtle," Valerie laughed, slamming down the weight and moving aside for the older woman to complete her set, "That's what you get for flirting with the waitress at the café."

That morning Valerie, Lucy and Keira visited a café around the corner from their apartment, it ended with the red-head storming out of the place when Lucy was flirting shamelessly with the waitress in front of her face.

"Technically we aren't together, and it wasn't like I actually liked the waitress."

"So you purposefully made her jealous? You're so much like Ines sometimes, it makes me sick." Valerie rolled her eyes, smirking as the other woman looked to her feet guiltily, "You're supposed to be wise. It comes with age."

"Please never compare me to Ines, that woman is a monster." The pair laughed, silently agreeing with one another—it wasn't a secret that Ines and Patri were secretly dating, and the physiotherapist would do anything she could for the athlete's attention.

As Valerie opened her mouth for a rebuttal, her eyes flickered over to the door as it swung open and Alexia entered the gym with a stressed-out expression.

The blonde wanted nothing more than to go console her, but since the near-kiss two days ago, the captain made it her mission to avoid Valerie. She would turn and run away every chance she got, even hiding in the locker rooms when the Brit was stood in the hallway.

"What's that look for?" Lucy asked, watching as her friend looked longingly at the captain—sadness and confusion morphing onto her face, she hadn't seen Valerie look like that for a long time. Not since—

"What look? There wasn't a look." Valerie turned back to the weight rack absently, intentionally avoiding Lucy's curious eyes.

"Oh, there wasn't?" Lucy then smirked evilly, as she devised a plan in her head to embarrass her friend in denial, "Ale! Can you come here?"

The brunette woman smirked even wider as she blocked out Valerie's cursing profusely and kicking her in the shin as Alexia looked startled by the sight of the blonde when walking towards them.

"S—Sure, what is it?" The captain spoke, nervously eyeing Valerie who turned bright red and avoided eye contact, opting for picking up the weights in her hand and focusing on squats instead.

"Could you stay with our lovely friend here while I speak to Keira?" Lucy smiled innocently, her eyes glistening as she watched Alexia's expression morph into panic, "Thanks!" The Brit left before the captain could refuse, leaving the pair in awkward silence.

Alexia kicked at her feet, her fingers playing with each other behind her back watching as the blonde continued to avoid eye contact.

"How is your ankle?"