Chapter Ten

Not proofread - sorry for mistakes :)

"What are you thinking of, captain?"

It was Tuesday morning, four days before the Champions League final—it would be Barcelona versus Lyon. The girls were training harder than they had ever before, but only one seemed to be stuck on the events of the last match, affected by Valerie's injury.

"The game—what else would it be?" Alexia bit back defensively, regretting her snappy attitude when Mapi stepped back in surprise.

Anyone else would have believed it was the stress of the game getting to her head, even the Catalonian believed that herself—but no, Mapi could see through the woman as if she were transparent.

"It wouldn't be a certain Brit, would it?"

"Lucy wouldn't be very happy with me," Alexia arrogantly swept aside the topic of the woman on her mind, purposefully ignoring the disapproval displayed across her friend's face.

"You know who I mean, Ale."The blonde warned, her stern look making the captain shiver and roll her eyes, threatened by Mapi's piercing glare.

"Her injury could threaten our chance at winning—" Alexia began, reverting back to her old ways, her mind racing over multiple outcomes and tactics. She supposed it was the job of being a captain, of always being aware.

At times, Alexia despised being the centre of attention, the person who the media chases after for a story.

"You can say that you're worried for her, y'know. We all care for Valerie," Mapi laughed, seeing as Ingrid was nearing closer to them.

Oblivious to the tense air between them, Ingrid hugged the captain then her girlfriend to her dismay, "Hola Ale!" The Norwegian greeted cheerfully.

"Are you ready for the game on Saturday?" Just like that, Alexia reverted back to her captain tendencies, ensuring that everyone on the team was confident for the final.

They had to win. She had to win.

"Of course," Ingrid reassured, glancing sideways at her girlfriend with a knowing look, "Tonight some of the girls are going to see Val, are you coming?"

Unknowing to Alexia, some of the girls had planned this from the start—attempting to get the two stubborn women together ever since their bet had began, but neither of them were confident enough to be vulnerable.

"Probably not, I'm not close to her like that." The tanned woman ignored Mapi shaking her head, it wasn't exactly a lie, she wasn't close to the Brit. The pair argued every chance they got, except from when Valerie was drunk.

"Whatever you say..." Ingrid sang, not even trying to hide the disappointment in her eyes

"I hope one day you realise, Ale." Mapi smiled pitifully, her hand reaching to her shoulder, squeezing it reassuringly. Though the captain didn't show it, Alexia appreciated the gesture, "You should come, friends or not."

Just like that, the tanned woman was left more conflicted with her emotions than the start of their conversation.

"Tell me why you guys are here again?"

Valerie questioned, confusion filled her brain as she watched some of her teammates party around her kitchen island, taking shots of alcohol left in her cupboard.

"To take care of you, our precious." Ines winked, obviously intoxicated by the countless shots she had since arriving. She and the physiotherapist had gotten closer every day, Valerie supposed it was nice to talk to someone who wasn't a footballer or her sister.