𝐬𝐞𝐯𝐞𝐧

Start from the beginning

"We could adopt a dog, that would be a kind of third child for you."
"Oh yes, I would like that. And then on hot summer days your brothers come to visit us in our huge house. Matt will bring his kids and Nick will bring his boyfriend. We'll set up a pool for our kids and Matt's kids, and Nick's kids if he has any. And then when the kids get tired of the water, they play with the dog."

"I like that idea."
"Me too. But when one of our children becomes a girl, I want to name her Diana." She said.

"I like the name. But the dog's name is scooby, I'm not going to argue about that." He said and they both laughed.
"Yes, the dog will be called scooby."

Chris looked hurt. "The name was chosen by my father" I lied and Chris' look became hard and unreadable again. "The name is terrible." He said and looked at his cell phone again.

"We'll definitely be there." Says Nick to get back to the topic.
"But please leave him at home" I said and pointed my finger at Chris who rolled his eyes.
Amber cancelled because her brother was visiting from New York.

His Pov

...
She must have lied about the name of the dog. Her father would never have chosen the name of the dog. It is not a coincidence that the dog has the same name as the fantasy dog that Eline and I talked about. It can't be. It just made the hatred for her even stronger.
I got a message from Matt

big bad B Bernard Matty boy 🤪

isn't he cute?🥺

You would think he was cuter
if he was a pug

no

liar

...
I was watching TV, Matt and Nick were still with Lori. My mother entered the room and leaned against the door frame and crossed her arms. I pressed pause and looked at her.

"What's wrong, Chrissy?"
"Stop calling me chrissy, it makes me sound like a girl."
"Don't change the subject."
"I'm not."
"You are, it's Lori, isn't it?"
"Mom, I don't want to talk about her."
"You used to be able to talk about her all the time."
"I used to be in love with her, too."
"If you gave her another chance, you might still be in love with her."
"But I don't want to." She laughed.
"Oh Chris, would you put your anger aside" she said and left me alone again.

The next day me and Matt had lacrosse training and Zain came up to me.
"Hey bro, can I ask you something?"
"Sure bro, what's up."
"You and Loureline, is there something going on? You used to be together and I wanted to ask if there's still something going on." He said and I tensed up.

I looked over his shoulder and saw Matt watching us.
"No bro, me and Eline sorry Loureline don't get along anymore so if you want to ask her out go for it" I forced myself to say even though everything in me was screaming to tell him the opposite.
Besides, Zain was an asshole anyway and had already had a thing with half the girls in our class. She is too smart to fall for him.

But I had no right to, we weren't together anymore, I didn't even like her.
"And you don't mind?" he asked, just to be sure. "No, I won't stand in the way of your happiness." I said and walked away.

Matt came up behind me.
"You didn't really do that."
"Yeah, it's no big deal."
"You just gave the biggest playboy in school the okay to make a pass at your ex."
"She's smart enough not to fall for it."
"Chris, what's wrong with you?" we ran out of the exit and got into the car.

"What should I have said?" I asked. But he kept his voice down. "No, Zain. I don't love her anymore, but I don't want you to start something with her. Would that have been better?"

"Yes, it would have been. I'll warn her." Matt said
"Do that."

"Just so you know, I asked her to come to the lacrosse game on Friday and she said yes." I pretended I didn't care, but I was actually upset that she was all over the place. At home, at school and now at the sport I had started so I wouldn't think about her so much.

Her Pov

On Wednesday Matt picked me up to drive me to school. Chris sat in the front as usual, so I sat in the back with nick. As we drove off Matt coughed up.

"Lori, sometime in the next few days, Zain is going to come up to you and ask you out, and I'm telling you not to say yes."

I furrowed my brows and looked briefly at Chris, who wasn't paying attention to the conversation. "Why not?"
"Because he's a fuckboy," Nick said.
"He's already had a thing with half the school." Said Matt.
"Okay, thanks for the warning."

We were sitting down to eat when Zain came up to us and casually sat down next to Chris. He sat right by me and smiled at me.

He extended his hand to me and I shook it. "I am Zain."
"I know," I said.
"You're Lori, right?" I nodded.
"I've been watching you for a while now and you're beautiful and I've been told you're smart too."
"You've been researching me?"
"Yes. I wanted to know more about you." I smiled, he knew what to say to make a girl like him.
"I'd like to know more about you, so how about a date?" he asked and smiled crookedly, his teeth sparkling white.

I looked at Chris who was looking at me. His look didn't look angry as usual but instead hopeful. Didn't he want me to say yes? But he had been so annoying and hurt me for the last two weeks. I wanted to pay him back.

"Yeah, why not?" I said and looked at Chris who was clenching his jaw and looking at me with a disappointment that hurt me.
"Okay perfect. Are you coming to the lacrosse game on Friday? If so, we could go out for dinner afterwards."
"Sure sounds good."
"Okay, see you."
"Yeah, bye." He sat up to go to his friends.

"Lori, why did you do that? Didn't you listen to me this morning?" asked Matt, who had been watching quietly.
"Besides, you said you'd join us after the next lacrosse game," said Nick, and that's when I realized what I'd gotten myself into.

"I don't know, I'm sorry. I don't know what that was about." I saw Chris roll his eyes, he knew me too well, he knew I had done that because of him.