Chapter 17: Wolfie

While heading back, Aries noticed both First and Second sleeping soundly, affected by the white powder as well. Climbing a tall tree near where First had been thrown, Aries found a comfortable branch to sit on. And thus, the game began.

"Which one is the lucky bolt that could take down a big bad wolf?" Aries playfully mused, his voice carrying through the stillness of the forest. He carefully selected six bolts, each one meticulously crafted to serve its purpose. His crossbow, a tool he had learned to wield with greater accuracy, gleamed in the moonlight.

The immobilized wolf, though a creature of instinct, had no knowledge of the crossbow's function. It could only watch as Aries loaded the weapon and aimed it at the wolf. With a fluid motion, the bolt was released, hurtling through the air with uncanny speed. In an instant, it struck the ground just an inch away from the wolf's left eye, embedding itself in the earth with a resounding impact.

The wolf's response was a mixture of fear and anticipation, if animals could feel such emotions. It couldn't predict the outcome, but it had a visceral sense that danger was imminent. As Aries readied his second shot, the wolf's anticipation grew. The bolt found its mark, striking the wolf's right front leg and driving through it as if it were a mere obstacle in its path. The wolf's agonized cry was silenced by the paralyzing effects of the powder.

Aries couldn't help but react to the wolf's pain, a twinge of empathy crossing his features. "Oh, that must have hurt," he remarked with a sympathetic cringe, his playful demeanor momentarily replaced by a genuine acknowledgment of the creature's suffering.

The third and fourth bolts missed their target, eliciting a playful yet frustrated comment from Aries. "Darn it, you're lucky!" he quipped, jesting with the wolf. The fifth bolt found its mark, piercing the wolf's left ear but causing minimal harm. Its large ears allowed for the bolt to create nothing more than a small hole. Growing increasingly annoyed with his own accuracy, Aries descended from the tree and walked directly towards the immobilized wolf.

Facing the wolf head-on, Aries loaded his last bolt onto the crossbow, his tone growing more serious. "The game ends now," he declared, aiming the final bolt at the wolf's head. In response, the wolf whimpered and closed its eyes in a mixture of fear and surrender. As Aries released the bolt, it missed its target just like the first shot, striking the same spot in the ground.

Aries, now standing in front of the wolf, attempted to communicate with it. "If I wanted to kill you, I could have done it the first time, but... I remembered that we needed a mount. If you become my good boy, I'll spare your life," he told the wolf, his tone surprisingly gentle. With his small hands, he reached out to pet the wolf's head, seeking to establish a connection. To Aries' surprise, the wolf displayed a level of obedience after its harrowing experience.

From his backpack, Aries retrieved a bamboo container, causing the wolf to whimper instinctively. However, Aries wasn't reaching for something harmful; instead, he poured out a healing potion. Using it first on Second's injured arm, Aries watched in awe as the wounds gradually closed and healed. The potion's effectiveness on a more significant injury surprised him. He then looked towards First, a hint of disappointment in his expression as he assessed the uninjured guardian. Moving on to the wolf, he applied the potion to its wounded right front leg, observing with wonder as the wound healed and closed. In this moment, Aries discovered that the healing potion extended its benefits to beasts as well.

Morning finally broke, and as the light dawned on the scene, First and Second were awakened by a resounding noise. Their drowsiness quickly transformed into astonishment as they witnessed Aries riding atop the formidable dark wolf, which was leaping around playfully, eager to catch the meat that Aries was tossing its way.

Recognizing the inherent danger of the deeper parts of the forest, the group opted not to linger there any longer. Although their search for a suitable mount had taken days, the return journey to their camp spanned only a single day, guided by Aries' uncanny navigational skills. Having the big dark wolf on their side provided an added sense of security.

Back at the camp, Third was just as surprised as the others upon seeing Aries atop the large wolf. However, the element of surprise quickly dissipated, as since encountering the child, the ordinary and the mundane had given way to a series of extraordinary occurrences. A pattern of peculiarity had emerged in Aries' actions, expanding their expectations of the unexpected.

Today marked a significant event for the group, as guards from the tribe were scheduled to arrive. The designated tribesmen who had transported the supplies were now responsible for guarding the area. Observing the guards' delight in the surroundings, Aries discerned a desire within them to stay in this place. However, their expressions were tinged with apprehension and uncertainty, undoubtedly influenced by the presence of the formidable dark wolf, which was currently enjoying a meal of freshly killed boar."

That... that is a dark wolf leader!" One of the tribesmen exclaimed, recognizing the formidable creature for what it truly was. The wolf, the apparent leader of the pack, responded with a disdainful snort, seemingly unfazed by the presence of the humans. A sense of confusion and wonder pervaded the air as they tried to reconcile the image of a small child standing before such a powerful beast.

Seeking to alleviate their concerns, Aries approached the tribesmen, handing them a leather container brimming with stone spears. "Don't worry, it's my pet," His declaration that the wolf was his pet only deepened their bewilderment. How could a young child possess the ability to tame and control such a creature? Nonetheless, they accepted the explanation, albeit with a lingering sense of wariness. The imposing presence of the wolf had an undeniable effect, keeping everyone on edge. Their movements were restrained, as if they were in a constant state of vigilance, wary of any sudden movements from the massive creature.

The tribesmen gratefully accepted the distributed weapons, their excitement echoing throughout the village. The sturdily crafted wooden spears tipped with hard stones were the finest tools available, and their acquisition sparked a wave of enthusiasm among the villagers. The weapons were seen as a valuable asset, offering a newfound sense of security and empowerment.

As the preparations for guarding the base were set in motion, Aries provided clear instructions to the tribesmen. Their duty was simple: to guard the base. He emphasized that if they needed anything, they were free to access the storage area. However, he cautioned against entering the main house. A stern warning accompanied this directive, with Aries alluding to dire consequences should any of his belongings go missing in his absence. The pointed gesture towards the imposing dark wolf lent weight to his words, solidifying the creature's new name-Wolfie.