Chapter 11: A Fresh Start

For over a week, the camp had stood empty. Aries was fully aware that its fate was sealed – destined for destruction. The aftermath of the devastating beast wave had been so overwhelming that restoring his camp to its former state seemed an insurmountable task. The damage was irreparable; the once-sturdy barricades now lay in ruins, and his modest abode had been reduced to mere debris on the ground. The lush greenery of his garden had withered rapidly, scattered and lifeless across the surroundings. Chaos had taken over. Aries' optimism about easily amassing enough sustenance and remedies had evaporated abruptly. Overwhelmed, he sank down, still reeling from the shock of the recent events. This had been his sanctuary, where he'd invested countless hours. The thought of starting anew was daunting beyond measure.

"Master! There's water!" Third's exclamation pierced through, disregarding the camp's devastation as they hurried to the lake to procure some fresh water.

It dawned on Aries that the younger ones held a different perspective on joy. While they celebrated the discovery of water, he mused that water had never been an issue for him. He acknowledged that he should find solace in the fact that they were now spared the water scarcity they'd endured back in the village. Ultimately, he recognized his fortune in not being present at the camp when the beast wave swept its havoc across the lake. Aries concluded that selecting a lakeside location for his camp had been a grievous error in judgment. A realization struck him that his plans needed an overhaul.

Aries turned to the youngsters, requesting their assistance in salvaging whatever they could salvage from his previous camp. Regrettably, their efforts yielded minimal results, prompting Aries to make a decision: cleaning up the area. Despite his imminent relocation, he recognized the value of this part of the forest, particularly due to the immediate access to flowing freshwater.

"We should establish a small camp slightly farther from the lake. We'll gather there whatever resources we can salvage and use them as a foundation for our base at the forest entrance," Aries directed the youngsters. They all nodded in agreement.

Aries assigned distinct tasks to each of them. He tasked both First and Second with hunting small game. Meanwhile, Third was responsible for sourcing water and filling their containers. Understanding the need for substantial logs and sturdy wood in constructing their base, Aries took on the task of crafting axes. Crafting tools of this nature was no simple feat, as employing tougher stones extended the time required for sharpening. The daylight dwindled rapidly.

As nightfall enveloped the landscape, Aries succeeded in kindling a bone fire and assembling small tents crafted from twigs and sizable leaves – reminiscent of his initial shelter. Aware that their stay in the area would be brief, Aries intentionally fashioned structures that could be dismantled with ease. Their tasks completed sooner than anticipated, they retired early to replenish their energy.

As daylight graced the landscape once more, Aries equipped First with a unique tool—a stone axe larger than the average one. Tailored to suit First's more mature physique, this axe enabled him to fell thicker trees with minimal effort. A couple of forceful strikes at the same spot and a robust tree would topple swiftly. Comparatively, Aries recalled his own struggles cutting trees; he needed five or even seven times the number of strikes it took First. Reflecting on his own slender limbs, he yearned to grow quicker, longing to perform as adeptly. Nevertheless, he took comfort in having companions who expedited the tasks.

Before long, Aries had gathered ample hard wood and ropes, providing the foundation for the construction of their main base. With intentions to establish it at the forest entrance for the convenience of resource-gathering tribesmen, Aries enlisted First to transport the amassed materials there. Through a few initial guidance sessions, First learned the route by heart.

Aries persisted in collecting useful materials. His luck took a favorable turn, stumbling upon more durable stones. His curiosity piqued, he found a blue and a yellow stone. Discovered during a lakeside bath, the blue stone appeared, while the yellow one lay hidden beneath a mound of hard stones. The yellow stone was smaller than the blue one. Succumbing to his inquisitive nature, Aries decided to test the yellow stone's properties, much like he did with the red stone.

However, Aries' attempts to trigger the stone's effects were less successful, prompting him to enlist Second's help. With remarkable force, Second propelled the yellow stone towards a hard stone. The resulting explosion emitted a potent electric shockwave that obliterated not only the targeted hard stone but also nearby trees. Startled airborne creatures fled the vicinity in haste.

"What was that?!" Aries exclaimed, his shock causing him to stumble to the ground. Swiftly regaining his composure, he rushed toward the blast site, hopeful for remnants of the yellow stone. Alas, the stone had been obliterated upon impact. "Was it due to Second's strength?" Aries speculated. Although possessing the red and blue stones, he hesitated to allow Second to replicate her feat with the red stone, fearing it could ignite a forest fire. On the other hand, he pondered the potential of the blue stone; its lake-side discovery led him to consider water manipulation.

This time, Aries chose to experiment personally. Constructing a rudimentary hammer using a hard wooden handle affixed to a hard stone, he struck the stone gently, initially yielding no results. With added force, a spark materialized, triggering a sudden gush of water that ceased after a few moments. Astonishingly, the water volume from this sparked action could fill a large bamboo container. "Incredible! A monumental discovery!" Aries celebrated, displaying childlike enthusiasm.

"Are you all alright?! What happened?!" First, who had raced from the entrance to the lake after the explosion, arrived out of breath and deeply concerned. His eyes widened upon witnessing the aftermath of the yellow stone's detonation. "Calm down, we're safe. Just experimenting with new discoveries," Aries assured, his excitement palpable. Meanwhile, Second remained poised, awaiting further instructions. "Perhaps it's time for lunch." Aries stood, prompting Third to suddenly materialize seemingly out of thin air. Disappeared during the explosion, she reappeared at the mention of food, adding to the enigmatic nature of the group.

Days passed, culminating in the creation of an improved shelter. Now, they had a larger communal dwelling, each possessing their own compact yet private quarters. A cleaner sanitation area was established, highlighting Aries' emphasis on hygiene. Taller walls were erected as a defense against smaller predators. The youngsters' equipment was also enhanced, with Aries enhancing First's stone axe by extending its handle and crafting a shield from sturdy wood. Opting against a stone shield due to its weight, Aries fashioned a leather sling for long-range attacks, utilizing the stones from the lakeside as ammunition. Second wielded it adeptly, her skill evident in the shattering force of her shots. Moreover, Aries crafted three spears tipped with hard stones for her, ideal for throwing and piercing even tough-skinned targets.

Meanwhile, Third gained a dedicated cooking area and an array of tools for grinding herbs and plants. She was equipped with the necessary culinary implements and also had a hoe for farming and self-defense. A fenced garden with herbs, fruits, vegetables, and mushrooms were entrusted to her care.

Although the beast wave had razed his previous camp, Aries' determination to aid the village remained steadfast, now stronger than ever.