Chapter 1: Kouhei Shibatsuki

1. 
    My name is Kouhei Shibatsuki. I am 17 years old. Born on February 17, 1984. It is currently April 3rd, 2001, 10:48 am. A regular boring school day. That is what I would like to say, if not for the fact that my hair FRIGGIN TURNED BLONDE OUT OF NOWHERE!!! BULLSHIT ASS SCHOOL IF THEY GOT A PROBLEM WITH ME HAVING BLONDE HAIR, I'LL FRIGGIN MURDER THEM ALL!! Keep calm, keep calm. It's what I keep telling myself, but there's nothing in this world that keeps me calm, like my girlfriend and my little sister.
    My girlfriends name is Yumeko Toyomi. She has long, beautiful black hair that dances in the wind. She has soft, radiant lips that make me want to claim her for myself. She has the eyes of a mature woman, serious in everything she does, standing for whatever she believes in. Eyes that pierce through the hearts of everyone around her that doesn't allow them to take their gaze of her. She's strong and very athletic, the top girl in our class. But somehow, this beauty ended up with me. I'm a lucky guy. I'm just a punk. At least, that's how everyone looks at me, except for her. She's the only one who can see me for who I truly am. This is the girl I want to give my entire world to.
    My little sister is only half related to me. She always adores me and always wears her black hair in cute braids with her dog hair clip, holding her bangs back. We have different fathers. Her father is a businessman for a toy marketing company. He's pretty bland. He wears glasses with an oval frame, he's skinny, and wears his hair slicked back like it's cool or something. My father has blonde hair just like me. I've only seen a picture once, but he seems like a much cooler person than my step-dad. My mother mentioned his name once. I think she said his name was DIO. I even have a Star birthmark just like I saw on him in the picture.
    "Kouhei. Are you okay?" An angelic voice spoke out, sending chills down my spine. My eyes opened wide in shock as I looked at the beauty sitting right next to me. I had spaced out.
    "Yeah, yeah. I'm perfectly fine." Flaring up my nostrils, I responded with a cheesy grin on my face, reassuring her I'm fine.
    "Are you sure?" She still had a worried look on her face. She's quite the ideal girlfriend.
    "Yeah, I am 100 percent positive, Yumeko." Relaxing my body, I pulled out a black comb from my back pocket, combing the tips of my curly blonde hair  to make it stand out more. Looking back over at her, she has not taken her eyes off me. In fact, it looks like she's trying to ask me something, but she just can't collect the right words.
    "What's wrong? Something on your mind?"
    "Uh, no, no. It's uh, nothing."
    "It doesn't look like 'nothing.' What's up?"
    "SHADDUP SHIBATSUKI!! IF YOU DON'T I'LL KICK YOU OUT OF THE CLASS!!" A big voice suddenly cut in. That voice was our teacher, Mr. Takamura Ohashi. He's a big nerdy guy. He's a former Sumo wrestler, hence his big round size, but he never made a big name for himself, which is why he changed over to teaching.
    As I was about to slam my fist down on the table and stand, Yumeko rested her hand on mine. Suddenly, all of the anger I was about to take out on this teacher had disappeared. Her eyes of concern pierced my heart. She's the only reason a punk like me hasn't gotten into a fight in the school. Also, if I had gotten in a fight, my adorable little sister would be mad at me. I must protect that smile.  Yumeko looked at me in the eye. It seemed like she had relaxed a bit.
    "If you would like, would you like to go to the Kanda Myojin Shrine after school?" Her question resonated through my bones. So I didn't anger the teacher again, with a soft smile on my face I nodded, yes. She had the most beautiful expression of being happy and excited. Her eyes glimmered and sparkled like the stars in the night sky. Her emotions radiating like the sun, reflecting in my heart like the sun on a cool lake on a hot summer day.

2
    It's after school. Yumeko and I walked through Tokyo, stopping by an ice cream shop on our way to the shrine. She got vanilla while I got Mint chocolate chip. Mint chocolate chip has a unique taste, but it's different than the 'toothpaste' taste I heard it was supposed to have. I have grown to like it. Even my little sister likes it.
    "Dude, that girl is pretty."
    "I agree."
    Chatter can be heard everywhere. All the guys who saw her couldn't take their eyes off her. Yumeko is a beauty like no other.
    "Who's that punk guy walking beside her?"
    "There's no way that guy is her boyfriend."
    "Wait. That guy. His hair color is different now but I think that's the legendary 'Blue blood, Kouhei'."
    "What? Are you serious?"
    According to all of these guys I'm supposedly legendary. These fools, giving me some absurd nickname. They all started calling me that 5 years ago. Some punks that were older than us from high-school were messing with Yumeko. I've known Yumeko since we were babies. Our parents were close friends. We played with each other often. It was due to that, that I knew Yumeko was in danger. It was rainy that day. I stopped by her house to play but her mother said she hasn't come back yet. Sprinting off I looked for her everywhere. I ran for what felt like an hour but was only 20 minutes only to find her in an alleyway surrounded by about 20 goons. I jumped in to help her. I don't remember a single thing that happened but all that I knew is that all of those punks were on the ground. Blood splattered everywhere but it wasn't my blood. It was theirs. A natural fighting instinct I guess. A witness who saw the fight told many people about it. Since they said I brutally beat them in cold blood thats why they called me 'Blue blood'. I was even kicked out of school for a brief period when word even reached the teachers. Yumeko has always kept me by her side since then and even agreed to go out with me when I asked her out 2 years ago. I promised her that I would protect her until the end of my days.

3
    "Ah~! Nothing beats a relaxing date before a shrine visit." She stretched her arms out. The sleeves of her uniform sliding back a bit, allowing me to see her wrist. It seems like her uniform has gotten smaller. Dropping her arms to her sides then holding her hands together on the small of her back, she looked back. She looked dazzling until she furrowed her brow, now looking like she's frowning. "You didn't hold my hand at all. And you're supposed to be my boyfriend." She whined and turned back around crossing her arms.
    "Sorry sorry. Here." I held my hand out to her but she ignored and kept walking forward.
    "You're too late. You failed. Bleh." She sure acts like a child sometimes but it's that innocence that makes me want to give it my all to protect her.
    Yumeko and I cleansed ourselves at the Temizuya. After we cleansed ourselves we proceeded to approach the offering box.
    "I hope you didn't spend all of your money on that ice cream~!" Yumeko teased.
    "Oh please. I have plenty of money."
    "If you say so. Don't expect me to lend you any money this time~." She continued to tease. Making fun of me from our last time we went to a shrine. It wasn't my intention to use money from my girlfriend. I had only lost track of the amount of money I spent that day. Reaching into my pocket I felt something hard and warm. It was a 100 yen coin. It was warm from the body heat from my leg. Pulling it out quickly I tried to show it off to my teasing girlfriend until I dropped it.
    I crouched down onto one knee as I saw the coin roll under the offering box.
    "I can get it for you."
    "Don't worry about it. It's fine."
    I reached out to the coin with no second thoughts until I saw something strange sticking out from under the ground. It looked like a piece of gold and black scrap metal, something I could see in a museum. Looking closer at the shape it looked like something familiar. It looked like it could be an arrow head. I pushed those thoughts to the back of my mind, reaching for the coin that sat right next to it. I grabbed the coin, being careful not to accidentally cut myself until-
    Blood shot out everywhere. I was sure I didn't touch it. But when I looked, it came up out of the ground a bit more and pierced me. Wincing from the pain I grabbed the coin and pulled back immediately.
    "What the hell was that? That was odd."
    "What's wrong, Kouhei?" Yumeko looked at me puzzled.
    "It seems I cut myself on something. Look at all of the blood on my- ?!"
    There was no trace at all of the cut. Was it just my imagination? No, there's no way it could've been. That pain was real.
    "What cut? Kouhei. Are you feeling okay?" She looked at me worried. Or maybe she thought I was losing my marbles. Could I actually be sick?
    "Y- yeah I'm fine." I stood up and bounced around to reassure her that I'm fine. Throwing the coin in I made my prayer. God. Give me the strength so I can protect Yumeko and my little sister. They mean the world to me. I can't lose them. I just ca-

    Bang!

    That sound rang out. It was a gun shot. Who shot? Who was hit? I quickly broke away from my prayer and looked over. It was a horrifying scene. A man in a black trench coat, holding a 9mm pistol. He was the one that shot. If he was the one that shot, then who's the one that's hit? I looked over to my right, covered in cold sweat. The one who was shot, was none other than my girlfriend. Her blood was splattered all over the ground and the offering box, her brains splattered everywhere. Her blood was even on me. Sh- she's dead. She's. Dead. SHE'S DEAD!! SHE'S-...MY GIRLFRIEND-...YUMEKO IS DEAD!! AFTER I PROMISED TO PROTECT HER!! I'M A FAILURE!!