CHAPTER SEVEN

"chapter seven"

"Be my girlfriend."

He watched Tasneem's surprised reaction closely, his eyes derailing to Yasmin who carried on with what she's doing, not really paying attention to what they're talking about and making her presence as unnoticeable as possible.

"What do you mean?" Tasneem sought after digesting his statement.

"Go out with me."

"Am I the only who finds that too sudden?"

"Why?"

"You've rejected me until now and then out of the blue like this?"

He sucked in a breath. "I thought I should give it a try and see how it'll turn out."

"So you're not even sure?"

"At least I'm willing to give it a shot."

She gave him a suspicious look, then turned her face to Yasmin who closed the wardbrobe quietly and made for the door. "Okay, I'll be your girlfriend." She uttered conclusively, a shrewd smile on her face.

And just like that, Khalifah unwarily signed his peace of mind away.

* * *

It's been over three weeks since he made that clumsy decision and he's been wondering tirelessly on how to take it back.

Tasneem was hell bent on driving him crazy and she slowly became a nightmare.

Her clinginess multiplied ten fold - a hundred if Yasmin was around them. She literally packed into his room making his haven the most uncomfortable place on earth.

He wondered why nobody found it wrong for her to share a room with him, he talked to his mother about it and she didn't seem to find a fault in it.

'She's your girlfriend, what's wrong in sharing a room?' Hajiya Maimuna had said.

It's literally impossible to avoid her. She's there at work and at home, when he makes an excuse to go out alone, she gets ready and waits for him in the car. She's there with him, 24 hours a day, seven days a week. There's not a single breathing space, not a single moment of peace.

But apart from that, another pressing issue was Yasmin. Even when he tries to focus on Tasneem, just a thought of Yasmin gets him distracted. His feelings didn't decline, they were still there and persistent.

But Yasmin didn't seem to share in his agony, she's always in her own world and even though Tasneem was always trying to make her jealous, it always proves futile.

He didn't want to believe that he's the only one hurting so much but she didn't seem like she had any interest in him.

She's just the same old Yasmin, nothing changed, not her actions, not the look in her eyes, nothing. She didn't look hurt when Tasneem was being touchy feely with him in her presence, neither was there any jealousy in her actions.

She'd do what she's there for and quietly leave.

He's staring at a zoomed picture of Yasmin, one they took back at the park some time back when Tasneem stepped out of the toilet. He swiped out of the app and logged into his IG not bothering to give her a look.

"Aren't you going to bed?" She asked, standing in the middle of the room.

"Later."

"You're not sleeping on the couch again right?"