CHAPTER THREE

*CHAPTER THREE*

Khalifah sat at his desk, smiling stupidly to himself as he glanced at the gift bag seated on the floor. He rocked on the leather chair, his right hand controlling the mouse as he continued working on a software design.

There's a knock on the door and he looked up to see Tasneem waving at him from the glass slab.

He grumbled to himself and pressed the unlock button under his desk, pushing the bag away with his feet so she won't notice it.

"Hey, howdy?"

"Good, you?"

"Spectacular, I bought you lunch." She set the leather bag on the desk, smiling.

Khalifah sighed inaudibly. "I'm working, Tasneem."

"Oh, I didn't notice. But it won't hurt to have just a little."

He rolled his eyes, an action she didn't notice, and saved his progress.

"I'll be serving here."

"Why?" He almost snapped.

She chuckled nervously. "Why do you sound so surprised?"

He looked away, cleared his throat. "Did I?"

"Yes, you did. Almost like you didn't want it."

"Of course not, why wouldn't I?"

"I'd love to find out as well. Here you go." She pushed the container closer to him.

"Thank you." He held the spoon.

"Will you be free later?"

"Why do you ask?"

"Nothing much, I'd love to hang out with you, just the two of us."

The spoon stopped just before his lips. "We... we live in the same house."

"Yes we do, but I just want us to have an alone time." She caressed his arm.

He put back the spoon. "I'm quite busy_"

"It could be tomorrow."

He sighed inaudibly, wondering how to excuse himself from her. She's been in the house for over a week already and he'd totally believe that she came purposely to stick to him like a leech.

"So tomorrow it is? I'd prepare everything."

"I can't make it Tasneem."

"It could be at home, I don't mind, I just want us two to hang out."

"Can't I say no?"

She's quiet for a beat. "Perhaps, but I'd feel bad."

He sighed audibly, clicking the mouse and eyes back on the screen.

"So yes it is? I promise you'd love it." She held his hand which was on the mouse.

He gave her hand a glance, took it off of him. "I'll tell you when I'm free."

"I'd ask Uncle to give you a day off, I can even apply to be your secretary, what do you think?"

"I don't need a secretary."

"That's for me to decide." She giggled.

Khalifah heaved a breath. "That wasn't funny."

"Oh come on, I was only kidding."

"I didn't find it funny."

"Why are you so rude to me?"

He ignored the question, trying to concentrate on his system.