Chapter 53

As soon as Reiko had returned from school, the estate maids hauled her into her washroom to prepare her for her date with Metori Saiko. They had been instructed to spare no expense for the preparations and sought to follow those instructions perfectly. In the bath they had drawn they'd poured a mixture of essential oils that had been specially imported from France, but the scents were so strong they gave her a headache after just ten minutes of soaking in the tub and the maids had scrubbed her skin so hard it felt raw.

     The stylist Kaori had hired was one Reiko recognized from the tabloids- she had worked with several girl groups in South Korea and Japan and was very highly regarded. The woman spent over two hours doing her hair and makeup. Every strand of hair was carefully tucked into a "perfectly imperfect messy chignon" as the stylist had described it, and her makeup was done with the utmost care and precision. Reiko predicted that she'd gotten her eyeliner redone at least five times before the woman was satisfied. Finally, she was crammed into a tight black dress that was almost too sexy for a seventeen-year-old to wear.

     After putting herself through what could arguably be defined as torture, Reiko had been sent downstairs to meet Metori at the door.

     She was downstairs for fifteen minutes. Waiting, like an idiot. Metori Saiko had had the audacity to show up to her house late.

     When he did arrive, he gave no apology, nor an excuse, he couldn't even be bothered to get out of the limousine to escort her to the car. Her eye twitched slightly as her head maid, Izumi opened the door for her and helped her inside the limousine. "If this were a real date, I wouldn't have even opened the door," she thought.

     She turned to Metori, scanning his appearance up and down. She would admit that he was good looking, he had sharp features, nice skin and green eyes that sparkled. His "princely" aura was marred, however, by the cocky smirk that seemed permanently etched into his lips, and the fact that he had pierced his ears. She also didn't like how he'd dyed half his hair gray. To Reiko it looked like a lousy attempt at a rebellious phase.

     "I'm sure you're breathless from seeing me in the flesh for the first time, so I'll forgive you for not greeting me upon entry," he told her.

     The silver-haired teen pursed her lips. "My apologies, Saiko. It's good to finally meet you in person, I am Reiko Ishikawa," she introduced with an entirely insincere smile as she extended her hand to him.

     Metori's smirk widened, and he gently shook her hand before continuing. "I'll do you a favor right now and warn you not to fall in love with me tonight. I won't return your feelings."

     The statement caught Reiko so off guard that a brief laugh escaped her. She coughed awkwardly to cover it up. "Thank you, but there's no need to concern yourself with something like that. It's just dinner," she said quickly.

     "Good. I appreciate you giving me one less thing to worry about," he said nodding in thanks.

     She rolled her eyes and discretely checked her watch. Only two minutes had passed telling her that this would be one of the longest evenings of her life.

     Metori Saiko- it seemed- had never heard the word silence. At the very least, no one had ever told him to shut up and Reiko was itching for the honors to be the first to do so. The entire forty-five-minute drive to the restaurant, the male had not stopped talking. He talked about everything from how boring and uncultured his classmates were, to giving her a step-by-step explanation of how he styled his hair every morning.

     Just as Reiko had begun debating how offensive duck-taping his mouth shut would be, they arrived at the restaurant. As soon as they pulled into the valet parking stop, Metori's entire demeanor changed. He offered Reiko his hand to help her out of the car and led her to the entrance of the building before approaching the hostess. At least he knows how to act the part in public, she thought.