Chapter 39

Now that Reiko no longer had to prepare for her debut party, she was able to completely return to her role as the Host Club's secretary. To honor her return, the club decided to host a traditional Japanese-themed day.

     Though the room's transformation wasn't as dramatic as their Balinese-themed day, decorative folding screens divided the room giving each of the hosts their own sections. Some of the couches and pillows had been replaced to fit the era, and the tea and snacks being served that day were also cultural staples. Although they added to the club's ambiance, the real allure of the themed days still lay in the costumes the hosts wore. Following the theme, all Host Club members were dressed in kimonos that day, a process that took a significant amount of time and preparation considering most of the hosts were unaccustomed to putting on kimonos.

     In the end, Reiko and Haruhi were the only ones with any experience actually putting on a Kimono so they'd had to help the others get dressed. Unfortunately, that meant they were the last ones ready and were unfairly subjected to impatient whines from the hosts who wanted to open the club doors already.

     "Are you almost ready Haruhi?" Reiko asked as she slid her hair ornament into her hair; it was the final piece in her ensemble.

     "Yeah," Haruhi answered as she tugged on her final outer layer.

     Nodding in satisfaction, she turned around to see the younger brunette who was adjusting parts of her outfit in the mirror. She placed a hand on her shoulder. "Don't fuss with it too much or one of the pieces will come undone. Let's get going before the others charge in here."

     Haruhi nodded and turned around to face her. "Yeah let's- wow," she said staring at Reiko with wide eyes.

     The silver-haired teen raised an eyebrow. "What is it?" she asked.

     She shook her head. "Nothing, it's just you look pretty amazing Rei-senpai," she said honestly.

     Reiko smiled down at the girl. "Thanks Haruhi. Hopefully it stays that way, but you never know with this bunch."

     Pushing aside the curtain from the changing room, the two girls stepped into the main club room and split off to attend to their respective duties.

     Reiko immediately made her way to Kyoya who was setting up a calligraphy station. His black folder was lying on the floor beside him.

     "You're hosting today, aren't you?" she asked as she carefully kneeled beside him and picked up the folder.

     "Yes, that's correct. There's a copy of the schedule in my folder if you-" he stopped when his eyes shifted to the silver-haired teen. Of course, she always looked beautiful, but there was something about the way she looked in the midnight blue kimono with gold, red, pink, and orange flowers that made Kyoya stop for a moment.

     Reiko looked up expectantly. "What?"

     After a moment of no response, the silver-haired teen quickly pieced together the situation and smirked as she gestured toward her outfit. "I must look quite impressive today. Haruhi had a similar reaction when she saw me."

     Kyoya nodded slightly his eyes staring her up and down as he took her appearance in. "I'm not surprised, you do look lovely, Reiko."

     "I suggest saving such lines for your guests but thank you. You look handsome as well. It suits you," she said nodding towards his clothes and flashing him a smile before moving to check on the other hosts.

     After another fifteen minutes, the club doors were officially opened, and the girls poured in. Reiko was constantly moving across the floor as she tried to get everyone situated. It was more chaotic than usual as several guests had tried to spontaneously add their friends to their reservations, but eventually, everyone was seated and chatting away with their preferred hosts.