𝟑𝟖. 𝐒𝐚𝐧𝐜𝐭𝐮𝐚𝐫𝐲

━━━Wildfire

Rick gazes down at Grace, fast asleep in his arms as the sun starts to come up. Rick blinks, his eyelids heavy and body exhausted. Grace's squirms around in her sleep, eyes folding open as her body becomes awake.

Grace inhales deeply and glances up into Rick's, tired blue eyes. Her body is sore and her bullet wound is super sore. She groans softly and her eyebrows furrow. She wasn't bleeding anymore from her wound.

She slowly lifts her shirt up to reveal the fresh stitches on her lower stomach and her eyes widen as she glances up at Rick.

"Daryl had some supplies and he fixed you up while you were sleeping. Surprised you didn't wake up during it," Rick explains with a slow, exhausted voice.

"Well, it hurts like a bitch," Grace groans out, shifting her weight as her body aches.

Grace's eyes rake over Rick's face, covered in dried blood and sweat. His hands slightly shake and his eyes are full of tiredness. 

Rick currently wasn't here. At least not mentally.

"Let's get you cleaned up," Grace suggests, grabbing a bottle of water and pouring it onto one of Daryl's spare rags.

"Save the water for drinking," Rick speaks dryly, eyes shifting onto Grace. 

"You can't see how you look right now, but Carl can," Grace points out, rubbing the cloth over his face. Grace's moves are careful and soft, trying not to break Rick right now. Soft breaths are shared between the two and Grace swallows back tears.

Grace cups Rick's cheek and rubs her thumb over his growing beard. 

"Are you ready to head out?" Grace asks with a soft voice, shooting Rick a warm smile. Rick nods his head and slowly climbs up onto his feet, helping Grace up onto hers as well.

"Did you get shot when you were leaving the prison?" Rick questions her.

"Yeah, I did. Carl helped me clean my wound, he did good," Grace nods her head, praising the young boy.

Rick's expression softens and he gazes back at the car as Carl climbs out. The young boy stretches his arms out and yawns quietly. Daryl walks out from the woods, crossbow slung over his shoulder and he grumbles quietly.