insomnia (nico (and a random girl ayy))

(no capitalization because I'm too lazy to turn auto capitalization back on so yeah, and I don't think anyone will really care because I barely update this so HEY! AT LEAST IM UPDATING OKAY? (-: oh and they're normal teenagers here. oh and the reason this is a girl is because I'm trying something new pls don't hate me.)

"I fucking hate her." I reminded Hazel for the fifty thousandth time. she rolled her eyes and shot me one of her if-you-keep-talking-I-will-literally-slit-your-throat looks.

"nico, her parents just died in front of her, and you can't put up with her for one night?" she whined.

"um... do you want my honest answer?" I asked sarcastically. hazel's eyes narrowed. "fine. but I don't see why you can't take care of your best friend."

"because Nico, I have to be at the police station reporting what I know... again. just, be nice to her okay? she's been through a lot." she said, and slammed the front door behind her. I groaned, and slowly walked back into my bedroom.

I plopped onto my bed, and grabbed my laptop. I opened up tumblr, and started scrolling through everything on my dash. after reblogging a few things, I pushed my laptop aside and turned on some music. the first song that played was Bulletproof Love by Pierce the Veil.

only a few minutes passed before screaming from my sister's room scared the shit out of me. I ran in to find Sophia curled up in a ball, screaming and sobbing all at once. her hands were in her long brown hair, pulling on it with all of her strength.

"Sophia!" I yelled, despite my hatred for her, I kneeled down and wrapped my hands around her wrists, pulling them away from her hair. She violently thrashed around, trying to break free from my grip. she was still asleep. tears rolled down her red cheeks continuously.

"sophia! stop!" I yelled. her screaming continued. her hands broke free, and covered her face. a part of me, desperately wanted to leave her. the other part of me, felt bad for her.

sighing, I gently placed both of my hands on hers, pulling them from her face.

"shh, Sophie. it's okay." I whispered soothingly. she quieted down, but her breathing was still rapid. I removed my hand from hers, and wiped the tears from her cheeks.

her eyes darted open.

"n-nico?" she asked, her voice hoarse.

"don't thank me." I snapped, and quickly stood up, walking away.

"please.... don't... don't leave." she quietly begged. I stopped in my tracks, and turned to face the girl I hated.

seeing her laying in a ball on the floor, her hair in a mess and tears streaming down her cheeks, I couldn't leave her alone. I physically couldn't.

"fine." I shot. "but only because you're keeping me up."

she let out a sigh of relief, and rested her head back on her arms. within seconds, she was sleeping again.

I contemplated leaving, only to be interrupted by the sound of her whimpering in her sleep. I turned to look at her, and saw her hands balled into fists, and tears pouring from her closed eyes.

"Sophie..." I said quietly, and her fists loosed a bit, before tightening again.

I sighed, and sat beside her. she was shaking, ready to throw another fit at any second. her breathing began to get more intense, and her cries got louder.

the softer side of me was starting to dominate the other half of me, and I reached out and began striking her cheek to calm her down. it worked-almost immediately. she leaned into my hand, wrapping hers over mine. I kept my hand where it was.

a few minutes later, she woke up. I started pulling my hand away, but she tightened her grip.

"look, I know we aren't exactly best friends, but..." she said sadly. her blue eyes were red from crying, and her lower lip was still quivering.

"okay." i said without hesitation. she gave me a small, sad smile and closed her eyes. sleeping, she looked so.... pure. so innocent. it was almost impossible to be mad at her, seeing her like this.

what am I thinking?

"nico?" she said quietly.

"yeah?" I asked in response.

"I can't sleep. i can't... I can't stop thinking about-"

"-Sophia, it's okay." I stopped her. "you don't have to explain yourself to me. I know how it feels to be in your situation."

"I'm sorry." she said, and I saw a tear roll down her cheek.

"for what?"

"being a bitch to you."

"you're apologizing to me?"

"yeah.. I guess. you never really did anything to me. you don't deserve what I throw at you. and now you're sitting here helping a girl who's done nothing but hurt you. why?" she asked sadly.

"like I said.. I know how it feels." I said quietly.

she stayed silent for a few minutes, and I thought she was asleep, so I started pulling my hand away.

"please. dont." she begged.

"my arm is getting tired." I admitted.

"then lay with me." she said without hesitation, almost as if she didn't mean to say it.

"okay." I said, surprised at my kindness toward her. I laid beside her, a few inches separating us. she turned on her side, facing opposite of me. strangely, I wasn't uncomfortable.

----

I opened my eyes to see Sophia's arms around me, squeezing me tightly. she was asleep, her hair matter to her head with sweat-or tears. there were stains on my gray shirt under her eyes, and her body was shaking slightly, but she wasn't making any noise. her breathing was heavier than normal.

"sophie... it's okay. I'm here." I said, running my hands through her hair. almost instantly, she stopped shaking. her breathing slowed. her grip on me lessened, but she never let go.

"nico?" she whimpered. she was still asleep.

"it's me." I said softly.

"don't leave me."

"I won't."

"ever?"

my heart skipped a beat. I knew she was sleeping, and scared-sad. but something had changed between us. I wrapped an arm protectively around her small body.

"ever."

(THIS IS SO BAD IM SORRY IT SOUNDED BETTER IN MY HEAD I CRI)