saved

(This is going to be really short sorry)

I checked my watch for what seemed like the thousandth time.

2:34 am.

I picked up my pace, knowing that I didn't have much time to lose. The night surrounding me seemed to be suffocating me. I began running

****

I finally reached my destination. My tennis shoes hitting the concrete beneath me was the only sound to be heard. It was a terrifying silence that seemed to deafen me. I sucked in as much air as I could to try to calm my nerves.

I reached into my pocket and pulled out my phone. Many messages from my sister asking where I was showed up, but I ignored them. The time was 3:55.

I looked around to validate that there were still no people in sight. Luckily, I was still alone. Like always.

Usually the fact that I'm always alone would bother me. But after today, it wouldn't matter anymore. Nothing would.

I paced back and forth for a few minutes, contemplating my next actions. Was it the right thing to do? Probably not.

After a few moments, I decided to go through with my plan. With little hesitation, I stepped onto the edge of the 250 ft. bridge.

The cold air whirled around me, blowing my black hair in the wind. Little droplets of water licked my ankles, and for once, I felt at ease. I heard the waves crash against the rocks beneath me.

I looked down, feeling dizzy by the height. I stared at the dark water that would soon consume me. I thought about how it would feel, hitting the water from so high up.

Would it be like a blanket, and I die in peace? Or would it feel like the cement the bridge itself was made of? Would I die a terrible death?

I thought about how cold the water would be. With the already 45° weather, and an added wind, the water would be an icy nightmare. If I survived the rocks and the fall, I would never be able to survive the hypothermia.

I thought about the relief I would feel. Everything would be over. The pain-the torment. I smiled, and a hot tear rolled down my cheek. I closed my eyes, and stepped forward-

"-NICO NO!" I heard Percy's voice scream for me. I turned to face him.

There he was, at the edge of the bridge, too far away to help me if I fell. He was wearing his pajamas still, and a blue hoodie. His dark hair was Messily thrown around his perfectly sculpted head. Tear stains marked his face.

He knew what I was doing.

"Percy. You need to leave. Now." I said calmly. I looked back at the water beneath me.

"What do you think I am, Nico? Insane?! NICO YOU NEED TO LISTEN TO ME. PLEASE. GET DOWN." he begged. Tears streamed down his stained cheeks.

"Why the HELL would I do that, Jackson?" I growled.

"Because you're worth so much more. You and I might not get along as well as we could, but I care about you. A lot of people do. It gets easier, kid. I swear it does. I'm know how it feels to mean nothing to anyone. It gets so much better." He said, inching toward me. He stretched out his hand for me. "Please, take my hand. I want to help you."

I felt another hot tear escape my eye, and I turned away from him.

"I can't Percy." I whispered.

"Why, nico?!" He screamed, and I could hear his struggling to speak through his tears.

"BECAUSE PERCY, PEOPLE DONT LIKE GAY GUYS. PEOPLE TREAT ME LIKE SHIT PERCY. CANT YOU SEE THAT? MY LIFE IS HELL. HELL." I spat, tightening my grip on the railing. "And if you knew everything, you wouldn't hesitate to push me right now."

"What do you mean?" He asked, and for once, it seemed like someone actually cared.

"You know what? Fuck it. I'll tell you. I've got nothing to lose at this point." I sighed. "I've had a crush on you for three goddamn years Percy Jackson."

Percy smiled.

"Please nico, take my hand." he said soothingly, and my inside became jelly at his words.

"okay.." I said quietly. I turned slowly, trying as carefully as possible to get to him safely. I gently placed my cold hand in his large, warm hand.

the terrible thoughts I was thinking had evaporated. I, for once, was happy.

"I love you nico, can't you see that?" he whispered, looking into my eyes. the moonlit ripples of icy water dances across his eyes, creating millions of sparkles in his eyes. there were stars in his eyes, and I felt as if I were staring into heaven itself.

"I don't want to die." I said softly.

"I know, nico." he said, squeezing my hand tighter. "we need to carefully get you back over the ledge, okay?"

he had his hands on my waist, guiding my body while I started to throw my leg over the concrete wall.

and then, tiny pieces of concrete slips beneath my feet. those tiny pieces made up a large chunk of rock, which in return, collapsed beneath me.

my foot slipped.

Percy screamed, and grabbed my hand before I had completely fallen off the bridge. my heart was beating a million times a second. adrenaline pumped through my veins like a drug.

Instantly, I didn't want to fall. I didn't want to die. I didn't want to crash against the icy broken-glass-water below. I didn't want to become just a memory.

"n-nico, I can't... I'm not strong enough." he said, a tear dropped off his cheek. "if you fall, I'm falling with you."

"no, you're not." I snapped. "this is my own fault. I should pay the price." I said before even thinking.

"I came here to save you, DiAngelo! not to fucking drop you." his voice was filled with anger, sadness and agony.

I felt his grip loosen on my hand, but he was still hanging on my a thread. I looked into his heavenly eyes again, and knew that I wasn't imagining heaven, that I was looking at a glimpse of it. I knew I'd look into his eyes again.

"percy, you already have."

and I let myself fall, traveling faster than imaginable into millions of shards of icy glass, but I was picturing his eyes,

and I

felt

n o t h i n g .