34

I don't think I left my house in over a week after that. 

Shit, I only left my bed to use the bathroom. 

I didn't eat hardly anything. 

I just drank and smoked. 

I didn't want to feel anything, I didn't want to think. 

Johnny and Twobit would come by me everyday, to bring me more cigarettes and to try to get me to get out of the house.  

It didn't work, of course. 

Johnny would came lay with me for a while at night, I think he was just scared that I would run away or do something terrible if he left me alone for too long. 

"Johnny?" I asked, as I rolled to face him one night. 

"Huh?" He whispered back. 

"I'm sorry about everything.   I'm sorry I kissed you that one night, I guess I just did it without thinking." I replied. 

Johnny laid there quietly for a moment, before a quiet laugh left his lips. 

"It's alright.   It was kind of nice you know, but don't do it again.... well, you could if you needed too." Johnny chuckled softly. 

"Right, I'll keep that in mind." I said sarcastically.  

"You know, I'm getting you out of the house tomorrow." Johnny smiled. 

"The fuck if you are." I turned away from him. 

I leaned over the side of the bed, picking up the liquor bottle from the floor, and taking a long swig from it.  

"Goodnight, Johnny." I said closing my eyes. 

... 

"Rise and shine, sleeping beauty!" Someone announced, opening the curtains in my room. 

"Nooooo." I groaned, pulling a pillow over my head to shield my eyes from the bright sunshine. 

"God damnnn! It looks like a fucking tornado went through here!" They yelled out again. 

It wasn't Twobit, and it definitely wasn't Johnny. 

I peaked my head out from the pillow. 

"Soda? What are you doing here? Shouldn't you be at work?" I asked him, as I forced myself to sit up. 

I grabbed the liquor bottle, and took a few long gulps from it. 

Soda came and sat down next to me on the bed. 

"I worked the morning, Steve's working this afternoon.  I was instructed to get you out of bed, and out of this house." Soda took the bottle and took a swig from it, before handing it back. 

"No way, man." I huffed. 

"Yes you are.  I took this afternoon off, and if I don't get you out of this house.... it would be a waste." Soda grabbed my hands and pulled me too my feet. 

Soda gave me a reassuring smile. 

"Now, what?" I gave in. 

Soda knew I wouldn't be able to say no to him, especially since he had taken off of work. 

He knew I would feel bad if I said no. 

Soda's face lit up with joy. 

"You're gonna take a shower, brush your hair and teeth, and put some clean clothes on... then we are going to my house." Soda announced. 

I chuckled a bit. 

"I guess I probably look pretty busted, huh?"

"Most definitely." Soda patted me on the back. 

I took a long got shower, and brushed my teeth. 

I finished the rest of that liquor bottle while I was in the shower, of course.

I put on clean clothes, and brushed my hair. 

Well, Soda helped me brush my hair. 

It was terribly knotted and tangled, and took a long time to get through it.

"It'll work out in the end, just have patience." Soda told me, as we neared the Curtis house.

I took a long deep breath. 

"I know you don't want to talk about it," Soda spoke again, "me and Sandy are kind of going though a rough patch.... but it'll all work out in the end."

I stopped in my tracks rights before the front door. 

I looked at Soda, who was trying to keep positive. 

"I'm sorry, Soda." I told him. 

He gave me a weak smile, before the two of us walked in the door. 

Johnny and Ponyboy on the couch playing cars on the little coffee table in the living room. 

Darry was it the kitchen doing dishes. 

Dallas Winston sat at the kitchen table. 

His face perked up when he saw me. 

Dallas seemed to sit up straighter, as I walked over and sat on the couch next to the boys. 

Dallas looked terrible. 

His eyes were red and puffy, and he had dark circles underneath them. 

Dallas had dark stubble growing on his chin and upper lip. 

His clothes looked dirty, and his hair looked messy. 

Dallas looked rough all around.

Dallas’s nails were chewed down, and his knuckles were red and bruised. 

"Look what the cat dragged in! Glad to  see you!" Darry announced, as he walked over to me and ruffled my hair. 

"Yeah, yeah." I mumbled, swatting his hands away from me. 

Dallas picked at his lips nervously, as he listened to our conversation. 

"It's good to see you up, I'll make you something to eat.  You look hungry." Darry smiled, before walking away. 

"Told you, you were getting out of the house." Johnny leaned over and whispered in my ear. 

I shook my head, and grabbed a cigarette from the table, before walking outside.  

God, I was shaking so bad. 

"Let me light it for you." Dallas spoke from behind me. 

I closed my eyes, and took a deep breath. 

He walked up besides me, but made sure to say about a foot away. 

"Please, let me at least do that for you."  Dallas spoke softly, as I handed my cigarette too him.