29. | past

Norma and Ethelle avoided me like a highly contagious disease, quickly diverting their gazes from me whenever we made accidental eye-contact and trying their hardest to disregard me. I was thankful for it; whenever I saw them in the common room or in class, I'd feel a terrible guilt gnawing on my insides.

I spent my time either with Antoinette or Tom, who—except for his occasional snarky remarks—behaved quite civilly towards me. I assumed it was because he knew I loathed him more than anything, and he knew that if he wanted me to truly help him out and be a loyal death eater, he'd need to make me like him. That was laughable—as if all of my hatred would turn into respect simply because of a few well thought-out compliments! But I wasn't going to make it difficult for him; I needed to gain his trust myself, after all.

Everything was fine—the students had all forgotten the Petrifications and were enjoying the wondrous spring weather, all of them with grins on their faces. Well, until one day...

Antoinette and I had decided to take a stroll through the castle grounds. A cloak of stunning periwinkle adorned the sky, and the air was filled with the laughter of students and the joyous melodies of birds. The sunshine stroked our hair adoringly, and I could practically smell the arrival of summer, right around the corner.

Antoinette was giggling at one of my jokes, her columns of pearly teeth visible as she beamed. I was grinning, truly happy since the day I broke off my friendship with Norma and Ethelle for good.

Well, all good things must come to an end.

"I request for all students to head to their common rooms immediately," Professor Dumbledore's voice spoke out of nowhere, gaining the attention of every student. Everyone glanced around in befuddlement for the source of Professor Dumbledore's voice. "Once again, please return to your common rooms where your Heads of House will give you further information. Please do hurry!"

Antoinette and I exchanged bewildered looks, noticing the students all rise and hurry inside. The two of us mimicked their movements, and I felt a terrible fear in my heart—as if something horrible had occurred.

"Do you have any idea of what's going on?" Antoinette questioned worriedly. "D'you think something's happened?"

"Definitely," I answered, nodding grimly. "Why else would Dumbledore order for us to head to our common rooms?"

Antoinette chewed on her bottom lip anxiously as we hastily made our way through the entrance hall and downstairs. "Do you think there's been another Petrification?"

My breath hitched in my throat and I realized I hadn't seen Tom at all today—what if he had spent the entire day getting the Basilisk to Petrify another student? I gulped and forced myself to remain nonchalant.

"I hope not."

The two of us parted ways, identical expressions of terror painting our faces. I blended in with a crowd of Slytherins heading for the common room, my palms growing moist with sweat.

I felt my worry decrease slightly as I entered the comfort of the common room, where everyone was murmuring nervously to each other. I instinctually searched the room for Norma and Ethelle, finding them conversing with Anita Rosier and Donatella Murton, and I almost approached them before reality sunk in.

"Why aren't you friends with Norma and Ethelle anymore?" I heard an airheaded voice ask from behind me. I spun around, meeting a pair of wide blue eyes. It was Dahlia Higgs, her head tilted to the side in a childishly curious way.

"None of your business," I snapped, irritated. Dahlia shrugged shamelessly.

"Okay," she complied, before skipping away to join Anita and Donatella, her short blondish brown hair flying behind her like a cape.