08.) Chapter Eight

Katrina Martinian ran down the dirt path, panting heavily. Her chest heaved and her legs burned. Her honey brown hair was in a high ponytail, and she gripped her backpack tightly. She could still hear the townspeople screaming for her head, calling her an abomination. Her eyes narrowed in determination, willing her legs to move faster. She launched herself over the creek and leaned against one of the trees, catching her breath. The bubbling water separated her from the angry townspeople. Hurt flashed in her brown eyes. Swallowing thickly, she ran and this time, she didn't look back.

Katrina didn't know how far she ran, her body aching and lungs sore. She put her backpack down and knelt down to scoop up some water in her palms to drink. The water felt good on her scratched up hands, soothing the stinging wounds. The water soothed her parched throat and she breathed a sigh of relief. Adjusting her ponytail, Katrina rolled up the sleeves of her pink blouse. She wore a pink blouse with puffed sleeves, black boots and pants, and a brown jacket. Her backpack was a teal blue.

Katrina Martinian stared at the patch on her jacket. The sigil of her father's trading business stared right back at her. Martinian Trading was a popular brand among pirates. Katrina's mother left when Katrina was a child. Her mother knew leaving Katrina would be the best so she went back to the East Atlantis sea. Katrina didn't miss her mother on the basis that she never knew her. You couldn't miss what you didn't know, or that's what Katrina told herself to feel better. Now, she should have been back working at the trade station with her father and siblings, but she had left for her own safety. People didn't take well to Siren hybrids, especially ones that belonged to families of high status within the pirate community.

Shaking her head, Katrina picked up her pack and kept moving. She couldn't let herself be caught. Back home, she could only imagine how her family must be doing. Maybe her father would disown her to restore his image. Katrina didn't mind that. She had always known what she was. She just didn't expect to be outed the way she was. Her heart ached. People were cruel just as they were kind. Where there was kindness, there was cruelty. Two sides of the same coin.

The town of Yorok was a colonial port town. A cool, salty breeze blew, making the flora sway. People were dressed in long sleeves and pants, some had their sleeves rolled up. Summer in North East Atlantis was either cool or hot. No in-between. Katrina smiled warmly as she walked into town. She hoped the news of her status as a hybrid had not reached the town just yet. Part of her wanted to look around. The woman found herself at a port diner.

"Good early afternoon, hun," the waitress grinned. "What can I get for ya?" she clicked her pen and tapped her notepad as Katrina looked over her menu and ordered her food, looking around at the oceanic scenery. She involuntarily shuddered as she saw the crow's nests on the masts of some of the ships. No way would anyone find her in one. Katrina flat out refused. No heights for her.

"Oh, hello," Katrina cooed at the brown sea otter that was tickling her legs, jumping up and down, batting at her boot buckles. "Who are you?" The otter chirped and spun around in a circle. "Mira? It's nice to meet you, Mira. I'm Katrina, but most of my friends call me Kat. Are you lost?" Mira the otter hummed and rolled over. "You're not?" Katrina tilted her head. "Then–"

"Mira! Get back here," a woman shouted, rushing over. "I am so sorry. I didn't expect her to come over." The woman had dark eyes, tan skin, sharp facial features, and had black hair. She wore a navy blue shirt, black pants, a brown belt, black boots, and a black jacket with a blue tricorn hat. "She has a mind of her own." The woman picked up the otter and Mira perched on the woman's shoulder. "I'm Katherine Urania. You are?"

"You're not going to question how I could understand her?" Katrina raised an eyebrow, shrugging. "I'm Katrina, nice to meet you." She sipped her cherry fizz and looked at the woman. Her belt had a few pouches and vials with different herbs, powders, and liquids. Interesting...

Kathrine laughed, rolling her eyes. "Why would I? I've met some crazy people in my journey. It's nice not to be recognized," she commented, sitting across from Katrina. "So, what brings you to Yorok? Your accent is more country than port town." Mira played with Kathrine's hat.

Katrina tensed up, eyes darting to the side. "I'm sightseeing," she replied, tapping her fingers on the table. "What about you? What brings you here?" She was hoping to turn the conversation back onto Katherine.

"I'm here to restock my supplies before I head back out to sea," Katherine explained, jutting a thumb toward her ship. "I'm from the Dianias Guild. I'm a mage and the Champion of Tritune." She sat up straighter and her chest puffed slightly. Mira chirped happily, bouncing up and down. "I'm sure you've heard of me?" she smirked, drinking from her water canteen.

Katrina's eyes bulged, mouth gaping. "You're THE champion of Tritune? The legendary swordswoman and mage?" she repeated, blinking at the woman. "You're not what I expected. You're friendlier..."

"I'm not usually this chatty," Katherine reminded, tapping Mira's nose. "But when Mira approves someone, I take interest." Her eyes twinkled as she smiled. "You're a special one." Her eyes scanned Katrina. "You're a hybrid aren't you?"

Katrina choked on her cherry fizz, pounding her chest to keep from choking too much. "How did..." she trailed off, brown eyes wide with shock. "How did you know?"

"Your aura," Katherine casually responded, looking out at the port. "You feel a part of the sea. A mixture of earth and sea. Only hybrids have that kind of aura," Katherine explained easily. "So, what really brings you out here?"

"I, umm, well," Katrina sheepishly rubbed the back of her neck. "I saved a kid from drowning, but in doing so, I outed myself." She stared down at her drink. "I had two options. Run or stay and be killed. So, I ran." Katrina adjusted her ponytail again.

"Oh, that's sad. I'm sorry," Katherine smiled sympathetically. Mira hissed angrily. "Yeah, girl, those townspeople don't know what they missed out on. Katrina here seems to be a fine woman. Are you looking to get away?" Kathrine smirked slyly. "You don't exactly want to be found, right?"

"Huh?" Katrina blinked. "Are you asking me if I want to go with you?" she spluttered, "but we just met!" She shook her head and looked with wide eyes. "But why me?" Katrina blinked incredulously.

"Mira trusts you, and I'm looking into something," Katherine smirked, leaning closer to Katrina. "This could possibly be what the world is looking for. A way to bring an end to this war and bring in an era of peace."

Katrina's eyebrows rose. "Are you serious?" She tapped the table, looking with intrigue. "How can you be sure?"

"I can feel it," Katherine tried to explain. "But I can't discuss it here in public. Pirates exist, you know. Bloody thieves. At least if you are gonna pillage, do it with respect. Too many pirates these days are low lives with no honor." The champion shook her head and put her hat back on. "You're a good person, Kitty. Are you going to settle with a life constantly running and looking over your shoulder?"

Mira chirruped and Katrina looked down, flushing with shame. "I don't want that, but I'm scared. I don't want to die." She picked at her nails. "But, I've been letting fear make my choices," she inhaled deeply, staring at Katherine with determination. "So, I'll go with you and take a leap of faith."

Katherine took Katrina's hand. "Welcome aboard, Kitty. We have one more stop to make before the adventure begins." The champion dragged the hybrid to her clipper ship, smile faltering as guilt pooled in her gut.

-----

Hey guys!

I hope you all enjoyed this chapter. I apologize for the long wait. writer's block is not fun. But a huge thanks to HiraganaSakura who helped me with it. And one more character chapter before we get into the journey!

interactive question: are you all ready for the adventure to truly begin?

Comments and votes are greatly appreciated. I love reading your comments.

Have a wonderful day!\

~Kat