03.) Chapter Three

Gulls screeched and waves lapped at the shoreline and against the docked boats. Merchants trading and talking filled the seaside town. The smell of salt mixed with the smell of freshly baked pastries drifted throughout the air. A young man with dark brown hair, deep eyes, wearing a light blue button up shirt, light pants, black boots, and a tricorn hat on his head stared out the window of a local bakery. Around his shoulders was a deep blue trench coat with gold buttons and white trim. His eyes were filled with boredom. Another heavy sigh escaped him.

"Out with it," a thick accented voice snapped. A plump older woman with a warm smile placed a cherry pie on her windowsill. Her hair had grayed in her old age, and her skin had wrinkled. Nonetheless, she was just as spry as she was in her younger years. "What be the matter, boy?" She wiped her hands on her apron.

The man sighed, shifting so he was now looking at the woman. "Nothing is wrong, per se, but I'm rather bored. The ships are back to unload and stock up on supplies, and I should be able to leave with them this time," he hesitated, "but so far, I haven't heard anything." He rolled his left shoulder, which was still a little stiff.

"Aye, I see," the woman smiled, eyes twinkling. "Ye are yearnin' for adventure on the sea. I remember traveling the seas in my youth. Nothing better than rockin' along with the waves and explorin'." She placed a cinnamon muffin in front of him. "Ye'r arm is looking better. Remind me what happened?"

The man chuckled sheepishly and gratefully took the muffin. "Thank you, Ma'am. I wrenched my shoulder trying to pull on the ropes last trip. It took a while for it to completely heal. Yeah, it's still stiff, but nothing a few stretches can't fix." 

"Didn't heal fast cause ye kept tryin' to get back ta work," the woman teased, making the man flush with embarrassment. "Michael, ye are too ambitious for yer own good. Sometimes it be good to take a step back and rest every now and then. Don't wait until ye are forced to rest."

"Madame Maria, I understand, but I have to keep up," Michael pointed out, biting into the freshly baked muffin. "If I am ever to have a crew of my own, I need to prove my worth. I'm not trying to be an overachiever. I just want to accomplish my dream." He sighed. "But, being in a guild makes it easier than trying to start independently."

Maria's eyes twinkled. "Does it though?" Michael looked up at her in surprise, raising an eyebrow. "Many a famous crew started out independently. These guilds and their strict rules and ranks hold people back from what they can truly accomplish. Back in my day, a crew wasn't just a crew but a close knit family. Remember, lad, the best crews are the ones created through bonds, not through a guild." A bell rang, signaling another batch of bread had finished baking. "Ah! Best be off. Don't want any batches to burn." She turned heel and disappeared back into her kitchen. 

Michael sat, brows furrowing as her words struck a chord in him. Her words held truth in them, but the world had changed. Independent crews were no longer the majority anymore. Most crews became part of a guild because that's where the money was. Yet, Michael wasn't a pirate for the money. He was a pirate for the adventure. A guild offered more safety during the war, too. Strength in numbers, as they say. He downed his water and stood up, pulling his coat on. He flipped his hat and put it on his head, leaving a few coins for Maria as he left the bakery.

Strolling through the town, Michael smiled and greeted his neighbors and old friends. Every so often he'd stop to pet a dog or two. The town of Icilia was cold in the winter and surprisingly warm in the summer for being a northern town in the country of Aritices. Michael had grown up in the town, Maria settling in as his mother figure. His parents had become lost at sea and the old woman took him under her wing. He couldn't be more grateful for her. Lost in thought, he didn't hear or see his best friend, Jaxon Hayes run up to him and hug him from behind, slinging his arms over Michael's shoulders.

"Mike! You'll never guess what I saw!" Jaxon exclaimed, eyes and smile wide with delight. The shorter and younger man had always been the more excitable of the two. Jaxon had this happy, positive energy that always managed to hype others up as well, no matter the mood they were in. His black fuzzy hair bounced as he hopped around, walking backwards in front of Michael. "Guess!" he demanded.

Michael smiled and rolled his eyes. "Hello to you, too, Jaxon. Um, let me see, you saw an Icerian Shark?" Jaxon shook his head. "An arctic fox with her babies?" Jaxon shook his head again, grin growing bigger. "Sofia?" he teased, Jaxon huffing and playfully punching Michael's arms.

"No!" Jaxon groaned. "I saw a real siren!"

"You...saw a siren?" Michael replied, raising an eyebrow.

"Yeah! She had dark skin like me, black hair, the prettiest blue eyes!" Jaxon's eyes sparkled as he described the siren he had seen. "We stared at each other for a while before she dove down under." He spun on his heel until he was walking side by side with Michael. "You gotta believe me! I saw one!"

"Uh huh," Michael hesitantly replied. Jaxon was many things, but he wasn't a liar, a story teller, yes, but never an outright liar. "Did she have the gill-like ears?"

"Yes, she did," Jaxon smugly responded with a smirk. "She even had a scar on her face over her eye. I wonder what happened to her." He snapped his fingers. "That's right! You actually caught a siren years ago!" Michael winced, shuddering at the memory. "What did you notice about that one?"

"That it was terrified," Michael murmured, shoulders tense. "So, you saw one. What now?" he asked, eager to change the subject. To his relief, Jaxon took the bait.

"Well, weren't we supposed to meet up with the Captain at the port so we can leave?" Jaxon wondered, looking up at Michael. "You have been cleared for sea travel, right?"

"Yeah, I have, but..." Michael trailed off, pausing and looking out at the port, a wistful expression on his face. "Jaxon..." he sighed, "what if we didn't join the guild crew." He glanced over at his friend, anxiously awaiting the confused response.

"What do you mean?" Jaxon tilted his head, brows furrowing with confusion. "That's our crew. We can't just leave them." His hurt expression reminded Michael of a kicked puppy.

"Are they though?" Michael argued. "Everyone gives you off-handed and back-handed comments. Both of us suffer constantly. We never catch a break and we aren't advancing as we should! We should have our own crew by now, but we don't because the cards are stacked against us."

Jaxon quietly listened to Michael rant, eyes locked onto the ground. His shoulders sagged. He was right after all. Many of the Aritices guild members tormented him for being different and for being a siren sympathizer. His eyes widened. "What if it's me?" he whispered. "What if I am holding you back because I am a sympathizer?" He looked at Michael with tear filled eyes.

"Then that just proves my point," Michael observed, placing his hands on Jaxon's shoulders. "I say we leave and set out on our own. We make our own crew, set out on our own adventures, and live our lives without holding back." He smirked, "Let's be pirates."

Jaxon blinked back his tears and smiled. "So what's the plan, Captain?" 

-----

Hey guys! 

Two next players have entered the field! I am so excited to show you all what comes next! Maria is a sweetie and I love her. I really, really, love her. Anyways, I hope you all enjoyed this chapter! Comments and votes are appreciated!

Have a wonderful day!

~Kat