Chapter 16. Tension

It had only been one day since the turtles and April had seriously started their training. They all were already tired and ready for it to be over.

     Carrie kept her distance from the turtles. Although it had only been a day, she had hoped that the feelings between herself and them would go back to normal. That wasn't the case. Tensions were high and honestly awkward. Carrie was thankful for Master Splinter. She felt calm around him and he treated her no differently than he had since she arrived.

     Master Splinter was patient with Carrie. She was timid and much more cautious while training than she was previously. But that didn't take away from her productivity and quick learning. There was much room for improvement, of course, but there was no denying that Carrie had the basic skillset already established.

     "All those self-defense and karate lessons your dad put you in really paid off," April comments, stepping away from watching the turtles routine to support her friend.

     Carrie sighs. She was frustrated with herself. Of course, those classes were helping her now, but the extent to which Splinter was pushing her training was much harder and more complex. "I don't know. It kind of feels like I'm starting over."

     Carrie follows Master Splinter's instructions. He guides her hands and feet as he teaches her different moves and stances for defense and offense.

     "Trust me, I wish I had that experience when Master Splinter started training me. I'm sure it'll seriously help." April smiles.

     "Thanks," Carrie whispers. Her focus remained on the tasks before her.

     "Why don't you join us, April?" Master Splinter suggests. He felt Carrie would be more comfortable training with someone she knew well. Perhaps watching her friend would enhance her learning capabilities.

     "Sure!" April says. She stands next to Carrie and mimics the position her friend is currently in.

     Master Splinter directed their next movements. It was slow at first, as slow as it had been, but upon watching April follow her, Carrie grew comfortable once again. Steadily, Carrie picked up her pace and completed the moves Splinter set out for her much more quickly. Master Splinter started piecing together everything he had taught her so far into a coherent routine.

     The girls' training was interrupted by a sudden and piercing thud. The noise came from a couple of feet away, where the turtles were sparring. Everyone turned to Raphael and Leonardo. Raph had thrown his brother to the ground in a fit of rage. Instead of stopping the session as they were taught when the sparring became too intense, Raphael continued to fight with Leo. Almost nothing could force Leo into physically retaliating against Raph, or any of his brothers for that matter, but he couldn't help but feel the anger boil up inside him. Leo pulled his legs up in front of Raph and forcibly kicked his brother off of him. Raph stumbled back and while he was attempting to regain his footing, Leo swept Raph's legs out from under him and he fell onto his back.

     The leader towered over the hothead. "What is your problem?"

     The dojo became silent. Master Splinter was prepared to intervene but it appeared that the fight was over. Everyone was eagerly waiting for Raph's response.

     Raph stood, locking eyes with Leo as he got up. Neither of their eyes flickered away from the other. Their faces expressed immense anger as they stared at each other.

     "Just proving a point," Raphael growls. His voice was low, so low that Leo may have been the only one able to hear what he had said. He began to walk away but he was stopped. His answer was not good enough for Leo and, quite frankly, didn't make a whole lot of sense.