Chapter 62: Flying Fish Riders

Start from the beginning

I had finally mustered up the energy to get out of my room, but when I tried to walk out the door I was forced to stop by a pain in my knee. I bent down quickly at the pain and immediately lifted it off the ground to stop it from getting worse. When I stopped moving it, the pain had slowly gone away so I tried to gently move it around to find out that it was only when I bent it or moved it around.

I looked down at my leg in confusion as I recalled the same thing happening back on Thriller Bark. I placed it back down on the floor and tried to put pressure on it, noticing how it didn't hurt then. Sitting on my bed waiting for the pain to go away, I seemed to be experiencing deja vu.

This situation...I've seen it before. I just cant place my finger on it.

I thought hard, the situation being on the tip of my tongue only for me to sigh and give up, not wanting to be stuck on it for the rest of the day. Once I made sure there was no more pain, I got up and changed before heading out the door. After meeting Camie I ended up heading to my room for a nap per Chopper's request. I didn't really want to, but I felt bad since he already had to deal with Zoro's disobedience.

It seemed like we were reaching our destination; everyone was on deck chatting or looking out into the ocean. A small smile crept onto my lips at the sight of everyone and the first person to notice my appearance was Nami as she called out to me with a cheeky smile before asking how I was and giving me an update on how close we were.

"How was your nap?" Chopper greeted me next with a joyful smile probably happy that someone had actually listened to him.

I nodded at him with a kind smile, placing my hand on his hat, "It was nice. Thank you, Dr.Chopper."

The reindeer got all bashful as he usually does while he happily spoke out curses to contradict his overjoyed expression. It wasn't until Zoro walked past him that he actually got mad as he yelled at the swordsman for taking his bandages off, "Why can't you listen to me like Y/n does?!"

Zoro stopped walking to look at the short reindeer over his shoulder before he looked up at me. His eyes set on mine forcing me to remember what he had told me a few days ago. He let them linger for a little before he turned away and shrugged his shoulders, ultimately ignoring Chopper's protests.

I watched him walk away with an unreadable expression before I shook my head to get rid of the thoughts swarming around. I walked over to the figurehead where Luffy sat as I smiled up at him, "How's it looking, captain?"

Upon the label he perked up and whipped his head so fast around that I'm surprised he didn't get whiplash. He turned to me with a big grin before jumping at me with a hug, "Y/n's awake!" He let out a giggle as I almost fell over before jumping off and whispering close to me with a lopsided smile, "Did you know that mermaids poop?"

I tilted my head before letting out a chuckle and turning to him with an amused expression, "How would that work?"

Before he could respond Sanji tried to kick him in his face with an angry yet sad look, "They do not!" It almost sounded like he was trying to convince himself rather than everyone else.

I raised an eyebrow at his behavior before turning to Camie who was watching the interaction with a smile, "So...do you?"

She turned to me before responding with a weirdly excited tone, "Yes, actual-"

Sanji started to yell to stop himself from hearing the rest of her sentence, but Pappag—Camie's pet starfish—interrupted the screaming cook by pointing out something called the 'Flying Fish Riders'.

Luffy and I immediately looked up to the sky where the starfish was pointing and sure enough there were fish flying above us. They flew around like vultures before trying to bomb our ship only for Zoro and Luffy to destroy all of them before they could do any real damage. Without another attack they flew away in the direction they came from, retreating from a fight they started.

Once we were sure they were gone and not coming back everyone had finally relaxed and discussed what had just happened. Luffy being Luffy was jumping up and down yelling about how he wanted to ride a flying fish while the others questioned what they wanted and why they would just run like that. I didn't really seem interested in the conversation since Im sure we'd find out why once we landed so my eyes looked around for something else to occupy my attention.

My gaze caught Pappag and Camie leaning over the railing, Camie holding a concerned look on her face as she stared into the ocean with her chin on the railing of the Sunny. I went to walk over to them and I had gotten close enough to hear that some man named Macro was looking for Camie and I'm assuming that it wasn't in her best interest to go with him. I remembered what Camie had said about this place we were going to.

She spoke about auctions going on where the products being auctioned off were slaves or exotic creatures or people. Merpeople were especially rare for multiple reasons so I'm assuming this is what that Macro guy wanted with Camie. I pursed my lips at the thought of such a kind girl being forced to be a trophy or a slave, much less anyone else. Auctioning people off like their objects was inhumane and disgusting.

"Everything okay?" I walked up to the side of her as I smiled kindly at the two of them, "You guys seem worried."

Camie straightened her back a little as she turned to me with a nervous smile, "Yes ma'am!"

I smiled weakly at her reaction as my eyebrows furrowed in confusion, "Why so polite?"

She seemed to have froze before she smiled bashfully, laughing nervously as she looked away, "Luffy had mentioned that you were a princess when he was talking about your crew. I feel like it's only right..."

I slowly nod in realization as my smile stays weak, "I see. Well there's no need for that. Please, address me as you would for anyone else."

"Are you sure?"

"Of course!"

She smiled brightly before nodding her head enthusiastically. The mermaid went back to leaning over the railing as she stared back at the sea, "You're a lot different than our princess."

I tilt my head curiously as I listen to her word, leaning against the wooden railing as well. Pappag agrees with his eyes closed and a small smile, "The people of Fishman Island never really see the Princess. She's locked up in her room, but rumor has it she's a big crybaby."

"Luffy was bragging to me about how good you are to your people. How you know your kingdom and your personally friends with them," Camie smiles softly at the sea before she looks up at me, "You seem like a really good princess, Y/n! Our queen would've loved you."

I blinked a few times at the unexpected compliment before a warm smile crept onto my lips, "Thank you, Camie. It makes me happy you think so highly of me." The conversation seemed like it was done as she turned back to the sea with a permanent smile on her lips. I went to walk away, but I stopped after the first step. My smile reappeared as I turned back around and placed a reassuring hand on Camie's shoulder, "We won't let anything happen to you. I promise. You too, Pappag."

Pappag seemed to pretend like he wasn't touched while Camie showed it full on with no shame. They both ended up smiling at me and thanking me before I walked away from them.