ᴄʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ 25

Azari POV

My heart pounded as he weaved in and out of lanes as I flung around the backseat. "Just breathe and keep your head down Zee we gone be ight. Daddy got you." His eyes met mine through the rear view mirror as I noticed the headlights following behind us get closer and brighter. Just as his hands turned the wheel I felt the car collide and shards of broken glass hit my face. My body ached all over as my eyes finally focused on the front seat. "D- Dad....."

I turned over waking up harshly out of my sleep catching my breath, and my eyes were met with Aidden's confused gaze. He was in the same spot he fell asleep in last night but was now sitting upright in my bed watching TV.

"You okay?" He asked.

I nodded my head trying to clear the remnants of the dream out of my head.  Feeling all over the bed for my phone. Picking it up I noticed it was dead and the back was slightly warm, likely from being on the phone with Ka'Sai all night. Truthfully when I called him last night and he didn't answer I thought that was the end for us. Street life isn't anything he needs to be close to but I need to be close to him.

Being on the phone with him was nice. It was nice to just converse normally with him seeing as though he didn't talk much to me after I picked him up the other day. I just need to make sure I keep 'Sai and Southside apart.

"Zeeee can we have pancakes?" Aidden asked shaking my shoulder.

He must have noticed I was stuck in my thoughts.

"Yeah bruh holup." I groaned stretching and sitting up. "Lemme know when that turn on, okay ?" I replied plugging the charger into my phone and slipping my feet in my slides.

"K!" He happily shook his head and turned his attention back to his show.

I walked through the living room into the kitchen and saw my mother sitting on the couch in her bonnet and robe, surprisingly without her parasite next to her. I wonder where he's at ? Don't get me wrong Davis wasn't terrible father, but he was not shit nonetheless. Like of course I stabbed the nigga but it was for a good reason. He's an okay father towards the kids but neither Aidden or N'maya care for him that much because although they're young they can kind of sense the fuckery within the mix. Especially Aidden. So it's fuck him to the fullest for sure.

He lies often and doesn't show up for shit at times. Plus him and my mama aren't good for each other at all. They're too toxic and codependent. Shit was a lot simpler when. I will say that since stabbing him when I was younger and me being grown now he doesn't try the whole woman beater shit anymore. They do hit each other from time to time so I guess that's more or less the same thing.

"And good morning to you too." My mother scoffed as I walked past her.

"Good morning mother." I replied in a properly sarcastic voice opening and closing cabinets looking for the pancake mix. "We ain't got no pancake mix?" I questioned back still moving stuff around in the pantry in front of me.

"Probably not, shit." She responded dryly.

I'll just buy him some pancakes fuck it. Who sell pancakes? What time is it? Oh shit I'm supposed to go eat with Ka'Sai.

"Zee!" Aidden called out from my bedroom.

I closed up the cabinets and returned to my room.

"Your phone turned on. Can I help mix the pancakes?" He asked excitedly handing my phone to me.

I tapped the screen looking at the time; 10:27. It was still pretty early and 'Sai hasn't called or texted me like he was up waiting for me so that's good. Honestly he's probably still sleep since he was up all night telling me about some show he was watching. I don't ever really watch tv and when I do it's usually when I sit down with the kids so it's normally cartoons or when I let Aidden sneak and watch family guy, but it sounded cool.