My children lay cold and dead, their hearts missing as their chests were sliced open. I couldn't cry; I stood transfixed, my heart shattered as I trembled in horror.

"Selene, why?!!" Laura's voice burst out as she ran to them, crying uncontrollably and rolling on the floor.

As she mentioned Selene, I felt more pain and heartbreak, the type I had never felt before. Why was Selene doing all this to me?

I know I hurt her in the past. I really wronged her, but isn't it too much for me?

Slowly, I walked away. Only one man was my hope, and if he refuses to help me destroy Selene, then I will hang myself. That man is the Lycan king.

It's less than a week until the Moon Ball festival. I will plead for his help before Selene wipes out my people. For now, I'm drained.

**********

Two days later, my children, who should have buried me, were buried by me at this age. The heir to the throne was murdered in cold blood, like a worthless chicken. Callen and Sophia were gone forever, and all I could do was cry, curse, gnash my teeth, and drink myself into stupor.

Patiently, I only waited for the moon ball festival so I could meet the Lycan king, who was the only one who could help me fight the demonic Selene.

There were only three days left before that day. As I sat in front of the Alphas and Lunas who came to send their condolences for my children's deaths, I just couldn't help but feel sadder.

This isn't what I planned for my life.

I told them about my plan to ask for aid from the Lycan king, and they all supported it, volunteering to join me in begging too. Demons aren't an easy clan to defeat, even when they don't have as much power as they did when they first emanated.

The moment we concluded about the Lycan king's talks, Laura suddenly hissed in annoyance and walked away. This attitude shocked everyone, including me, as none of us could figure out why she would do such a thing in front of these noble men.

I dismissed them and rushed after her.

From behind, I kept calling her name, but she didn't turn or reply as she made her way to our room.

"Laura, what is...?" My voice caught up in my throat the moment I entered and saw two decaying hearts on a tray resting on the table in the middle of the room. I looked up, and instead of seeing just Laura, I saw her with a man who I could recognize as my greatest nightmare.

The potent demon scent oozed out and filled the room. His eyes were glowing red, and two horns appeared on his head as he let out a smirk. He was holding hands with Laura like friends.

"Is this another nightmare? I need to wake up." I mumbled to myself, closing my eyes and hoping somehow I would jolt up to see myself lying on the bed with everything fading out, but what I received was a hot slap that snapped my face to the left, burning my cheek like a lake of fire.

"You think I'm here for play?" His hoarse voice snarled at me viciously as I blinked, trying to regain myself from the slap, but he was impatient, kicking my stomach so hard that I crashed to the floor with my buttocks.

Pain shot throughout my body as my lips broke apart in a loud cry. I looked up and saw Laura laughing at me. My eyes drifted to the hearts on the tray, and I realized how foolish I had been.

It was never Selene.

"Laura, Why? Why?" I groaned in heartbreak, and she frowned.

"Why not?" She shrugged.

"You are working for the demons and allowing our kids to be killed? It wasn't Selene that...

"Ahh, shut up. Which kids are ours? I'm not even your mate. It's all fake, so don't think we share anything together. I will even kill you if ordered to." She stated it bluntly, right to my face, and my eyes widened as my jaw dropped.

"You are not my mate." I repeated it, my lips trembling as I stared at her in disbelief.

"You have to know the truth now, though. I forced Callen to kill Sophia so I would spare him, but when he did, I also killed him. It was really a thrilling moment. The demon king helped me fake a mate bond with you so I could be among the priorities of the Lycan king, so that's how we became a team." She chuckled.

What the hell?

"Laura, you are crazy!" I shouted and regretted it instantly as the demon king sent a punch to my face that forced blood out of my mouth as I grunted in pain.

"You have no choice but to do as he instructs you because he will lose nothing but by killing you. You're really worth less than a pup now. His demons are everywhere, although in disguise, but this night, tomorrow morning, they will arise on full and take whatever pack house they like while whoever is living there either becomes their servants or finds elsewhere to stay." She said it to me plainly, with no sign of remorse.

"So it wasn't Selene that was killing those people? She has been innocent all this while?" I asked under my breath as fear gripped me to the core.

"The girl isn't only innocent but also the only one who would have saved you right now. She has the power to destroy every demon at sight, but it's too late now." She laughed.

"Why are you doing all this?"

"It's none of your business." She hissed and gestured at the demon king, who then walked over to me.

"Make your decision: work for me or die." He asked sternly.

"You can trick Laura, not me. I'd rather die than allow your heart demon inside me!" I spat, and he smirked, turning to Laura.

I quickly thought of using that opportunity to get him unaware, shifting into my wolf and attacking him ferociously in a way he never expected, but as I shifted and was about to strike him with my fangs and claws, Laura intervened and hit me from behind.

The demon king howled in rage when I tried to attack him.

"You have no choice. You will surely be my puppet!" He seethed, and I felt him press my jaw hard, forcing my mouth open as he put something like a pill down my throat. He then held my face and exhaled something like dark fog into my nose, muttering some spell.

I screeched in the overwhelming pain that consumed me, and instantly darkness covered my eyes as something like wax blinded me. My voice also faded.

"You have till the moon ball festival to make your decision or remain this useless till you die, while I have nothing to lose because my men will still take over." I heard the demon king say this to me, with Laura's laughter following.

Oh God, I am finished.