Chapter 21

FLASHBACK

Lynn emptied her whole stomach after eating that burrito. She felt nauseous the entire time afterward and was late for school. Lynn knew that she should have stayed at home, but being the stubborn athlete she was, she forced herself to go. Of course, she chugged half a bottle of Pepto Bismol and took it with her to school. She was late and missed her first class. Lynn made it in time for her second class but ached and was sore. By the time gym came around, she had gone to train for the upcoming baseball season.

However, Lynn was sloppy and slipped out in the field. She wasn't as fast as usual, and it was sometimes difficult for her to move. The coach caught wind of this and called her over.

"Loud! Get over here!" Coach called.

Lynn came over.

"Loud, what's the deal? You're dying out there, and I can see your sweating pinballs. Usually, it takes a lot before you break a sweat."

"It's just one of those days, coach. I'm fine," Lynn said.

"No, Loud. You're clearly sick. Go to the nurse's office now."
"What? I'm out? Please, coach, don't kick me out. I'm good."

Coach shook his head, "Lynn, you're not off the team. You're out for the day. Go to the infirmary, get some rest, and lay down."

Lynn groaned a sigh and headed to the infirmary office. She was embarrassed to tell the nurse about her situation, but she did. The nurse told her she was lucky to get it out of her system quickly. If it stayed longer, it would have done more damage, but she'll be nauseated for a while – with her solid immune system, she'll recover faster than most people. She gave her something to help her recover better and called her mother. The whole time resting, Lynn couldn't stop thinking about how her day was messed up.

"It was that burrito, but there's no way a bad burrito like that would be this bad. Did Lincoln sabotage it? Why would he do that? Does he want me to fail sports? I can't have that jinx screwing things up!" Lynn said to herself.

The whole thing made Lynn anxious and angry. The meds worked like magic, and Lynn spent the entire day resting. After Lynn confronted Lincoln, she was angry but couldn't get what he said out of her head. So much so that she barely got any sleep. She gritted her teeth, making a silent growl while clenching her fists.

'You better stay out of my way, Stinkin, or I'm gonna make you pay!' Lynn thought to herself.

End of Flashback

Lynn sat in the hospital waiting room with her older sisters feeling numb and exhausted, both physically and emotionally. She saw glimpses of everything that happened: Lincoln getting run over by a car, him lying on the road unconscious, his head bleeding, and the paramedics taking him away, but she couldn't shake the way he looked at her before running away. The fear in his eyes and the horror on his face. He looked at her like she was a monster. When he attacked her, he looked like he was fighting in fear for his life.

Lynn could still feel the bruises on her back when she hit the wall. One of her sisters bandaged her head, but she could still feel the pain. Her hands trembled as everything that happened tonight spun around in her mind.

The Loud parents, with the rest of their daughters, showed up at the hospital. Rita was on the verge of tears as she hugged Lori and Leni.

"Have you heard anything?" Rita asked, still holding them.

"Not yet, Mom," Lori answered.

"I don't like seeing my children come back to this place. Can someone please explain to me why this happened?" Rita questioned.