"Mother, we're not actually–"

        "Oh, Grayson, remember the Girards are coming for dinner tonight, and they're staying with us," she interrupted.

        He paled. "Um, will we have enough accommodations?"

        "Well, all the guest rooms will be full, since they insist that the poodle has its own room. What's its name again?" Laura asked, looking mildly irritated. I sensed a history with this poodle.

        "Princess Flora. But what I meant was–"

        "So we should be set, one for the parents, one for Gracelynn, one for little Benjamin, and then Jackie of course will be in your room. Perfect fit," she said, sounding pleased with herself.

        Grayson's face turned a flush pink again. "Erm, I was thinking that maybe–"

        "Nonsense, you wouldn't skip the dinner!" Laura said in horror. "The Girards are some of our oldest and closest friends!"

        "No, I wouldn't," he agreed hastily. "But Jackie–"

        "Jackie will get along with them just fine, I'm sure. After all, she'll be seeing them a lot now that you're married." Laura turned to me and added, "They're lovely people. The daughter, Gracelynn, she's about your age and just a delight. They've been on holiday in Tanzania for four months and they've just gotten back to Montreal, so it'll be lovely to catch up with them."

        "Oh, that's wonderful," I said politely, trying not to rewind to several paragraphs back where she'd mentioned Grayson and I sharing a room. I'd done that once before and had no desire to ever do it again.

        "Mother, I need–" Grayson tried again.

        "Yes, yes, go get your work done, be ready for dinner by six. Maybe wear that nice suit your grandmother sent you last year. I must go get preparations ready, but it was lovely to meet you, Jackie. I hope we can chat more at dinner." And with that, the chicken was gone, off to peck at some other fascinating bit of food.

        Grayson and I stood in silence, slowly letting our energy rebuild itself after being depleted. It took a lot to converse with Laura. Finally I asked, "What was she talking about?"

        He groaned regretfully and headed back towards where we'd come from, saying, "There's a lot I need to tell you, and away from prying ears."

        With that ominous note, he pushed open a door and we slipped inside. My nerves skyrocketed when he locked the door with a dull thunk. They only got worse when I realized this must've been Grayson's bedroom, although to be fair it didn't feel very much like him. His room should've been bright and happy and calming. Instead everything was done in heavy gray or black, except for his comforter. Gray blackout curtains, black furniture, a gray rug. It looked like a troll lived here. One that never saw the sun.

        "I can't believe I forgot," Grayson murmured under his breath, pulling his hair back with his fingers.

        "What did you forget?" I asked.

        He gestured for me to sit on the bed, except I noticed he stood, or rather paced. "What was that about Barcelona?" I asked.

        He cringed. "That was my lie to her. She doesn't approve of me doing things that are fun, such as visiting Las Vegas to get away. I just needed two days away from her, maybe drink, play cards, nothing really awful. You've seen her, you've seen my life. It's apparently unprofessional. So I have to take classy vacations, like Barcelona."