XXXIII. Not so Happy Homecoming

Third Person's POV

"Stop me and you wouldn't need to wait for those APEX bastards, I'll destroy this place myself." Gunvald threatened.

- - - - - 

Xavier's POV

We were waiting for the APEX to show up for the meet where we were supposed to hand over Gunvald but he was not here and they as well, it has been thirty minutes since the deadline. 

"Are they not going to come? Have they change their minds and decided to use force instead?" I thought as I wasn't sure what will happen then suddenly a gust of wind carried a distinct smell, "Blood!" I exclaimed in my head, "Where is that coming from?" I asked as I searched for the possible cause, the smell was overwhelming to the point that I could taste it, the metallic taste was vomit-inducing. 

"Form a circle around the principal and draw out your rapiers!" Bianca ordered, I prepared my bow, "Wasn't this supposed to be a bargain?" I asked myself as I felt the incoming trouble, "Based on the smell, we're already surrounded." Enid was holding her necklace preparing to transform as soon as we see the enemies. Then I heard Divina exclaimed, I turned my head to the direction she was pointing and there was a huge being walking toward us, upon seeing it, my legs almost turned to jelly. 

"How are we supposed to fight that?" I told myself, "Ready!" Bianca commanded, I was at awe at how Bianca maintained her composure and levelheadedness. 

"Wait! It's Gunvald!" Enid stopped us from attacking, when I looked closer it was really Gunvald. But the air around him was different, I already saw him before in his full yeti form but it was never this intimidating and threatening, he was giving of make-a-move-and-I'll-kill-you vibes. 

- - - - - 

Everything was a blur. Gunvald's parents being killed by the APEX completely broke him, he was a different human and monster. 

Third Person's POV

When Gunvald uttered those words, no one dared to move because everyone felt that he has the capabilities to follow through with his threat. 

"G-gunvald... P-please." Enid managed to say, Gunvald looked at her before turning and sprinting away. 

It took all of them about a few minutes before they overcame the fear that shrouded over them by Gunvald's roar and threat, "W-what should we do now?" Yoko asked, "I... I don't know." Bianca had nothing, she was supposed to have answers to anything but for the first time, she didn't know what to do. 

"I'll take my stupid brother to the infirmary first." Divina told the others as she help her brother up and walked towards the infirmary. 

"What just happened?" Yoko followed, Principal Blake started walking away, ignoring the plea of Yoko, "Xavier... Enid... You need to tell us what's going on here." Bianca turned her attention to the two, Enid and Xavier looked at each other, Enid sighed, "Okay...", "Gunvald... Apex..." Enid was having a hard time finding the right words, "I think it's much easier for you to hear it for yourselves." Xavier suggested and he pulled the recorder from his pocket. 

Xavier played the message, they didn't know how to react upon hearing the possible final message of Gunvald's parents. "What should we do?" Bianca asked, "I want to help him. I think he need someone right now." Xavier said, "I'll go and find him." Enid declared, "Me too." Xavier said, "No, you can't. We need the both of you here." Bianca stated, "But-" Enid tried to reply but was cut off by Bianca, "I know that you want to help him and I want to help him as well but with everything that is going on, a rogue student is the least of our worries. Plus, He's the strongest one, out of all of us here. I think he can handle himself.", "I... I understand." Enid agreed.  

Narration:

The night came, Nevermore Academy was succumbed into silence but the silence was not peaceful. It was like the calm before the storm.

Third Person's POV

As soon as the Nightshades concluded their meeting, some of them patrolled the grounds while others went to their rooms, one of them was Enid. 

Inside the Ophelia Hall, Enid was slumped down on her bed clasping the necklace on her neck. "What am I gonna do?" she asked herself, "I need to find him." she sat up from her bed and started packing a backpack.

Enid went out of the Ophelia and straight to the forest while slipping away from the other Nightshades patrolling and her werewolf instincts helped her tremendously as she made way inside the forest without anyone detecting her. She managed to get to a secret passage that only a handful of students knew. 

"And where do you think you're going?" Enid heard from behind her, "Shoot!" she cursed silently before turning around and seeing Xavier leaning on a tree, "How did you know?" she asked, "I just got the feeling that you will not let this go just like that." Xavier replied, "Xavier, I need to go to him. He's hurt, angry, and alone, I need to be with him." Enid pleaded, "I know." Xavier smiled as he walked towards her, "Y-you're not gonna stop me?" she asked, "Why would I? I was also planning to go but I know that he needs you more right now." he put a hand on her shoulder, "Thanks for having my back." Enid said, "Always." Xavier smiled, "Here." Xavier gave Enid a piece of paper, "What's this?" she asked, "It might be where Gunvald is heading." he replied, "Thanks." she put it in her pocket, "Now go. We'll hold them as long as we can so get him back here as fast as you can. Drag him back if you need." he continued, "Will do." she replied with a smile before going inside the secret passage.  

It took Enid a couple of minutes to navigate through the secret passage, she got out covered with spider webs, small branches, and leaves. It was pitch black but her eyes adjusted as her werewolf instincts kicked in, Enid sprinted as fast as she can to the airport so that she can reach him as soon as possible. 

Enid bought a ticket to the address written on the paper that Xavier given her, "There go my allowance for this month." she sighed under her breath but she had no regrets since it's for Gunvald after all.

Gunvald's POV

I stepped out of the plane and the cold wind was so familiar but I wasn't here to reminisce so I immediately headed to my home. It took me 30 minutes to reach the base of the mountain where I used to live, I harnessed my powers transforming to my partial yeti form and ran up to the mountain. 

Within the matter of seconds, I reached the snowy part and I noticed the broken trees and craters which was not there before. Then I saw right in front me, the cave I grew up in, my home for almost all of my life in ruins. The tables and chairs that I used to play on were all destroyed. 

There was a part of me that still doesn't believe that they were gone but seeing everything right in front of my eyes, made my knees buckle and kneel down on the snow. My chest was hurting like it was being gripped, "M-Mom... D-Dad... Are you really gone?" I couldn't stop my tears from flowing.

Third Person's POV

In that day, high in the mountains, a mourning and sorrowful scream echoed.

- - - - - 

Enid arrived just a few hours after Gunvald, she was strolling in the town, trying to figure out where to find him. She thought about tracking him through GPS but his location was not popping out, it was either his phone was off or there was no signal where he was.  

Down in the town, Enid suddenly heard echoes which sounded like cries, "That's not a good sign." a local stated, "Why is that?" Enid asked, "Those are the cries of the beast of the mountain. It was not heard for 10 years but today, it hasn't stopped for hours." the local replied as he walked away, Enid instantly knew who the beast of the mountain was, "Gunvald...". She headed towards the mountain where the source of the echoes was.